BMW DRIVERS

Glennc91

Whatever your preconceptions of BMW drivers, there is a sort of magical change that happens to normal people when put in charge of one of these smug emitting machines. My best mate drives a 2004 Renault Clio 1.2. hes not much of a car person, you know the type, "as long as it gets me from A-B..."

However, when daddys home from work at the RBS building in London, the afore mentioned 25 yr old clio driver has the use of the old mans 135d. and what a difference in attitude towards other road goers! its miraculous. manners go out the window! ok sure the cars much nicer/newer/more powerful, but im sure its just as much to do with those few reasons as it is the badge on the bonnet.

But then on saturday morning, march 20th at 11:30ish, i was driving the zed through a usually very quiet Mount Farm industrial estate which is a well used shortcut from milton Keynes to Bletchley (in buckinghamshire). i was going rather quickly shall we say as there wasnt much around and coming the other way was a well dressed chap in a new silver 520 (probably on his way to golf dont you know) frantically flashing his lights and waving his arms. so i put the brakes on and looked in my mirrors as he went past, more to see what his problem was. then as i got to the bottom of the hill, doing a steady 29mph, out it jumps with its high viz-tosser outfit & radar gun in its hand.

Very lucky escape all thanks to silver beamer guy. wherever you are, whoever you are, i love you.

I was practically perfect in every way when I had a BMW - just as always! :lol:

In terms of people flashing you to warn you about stuff - In France its amazing! They will flash you from miles away! Everyone does it - and i mean EVERYONE! Last time i was there my dad got flashed, he said the police will be up the road. Drove on, no police, flashed again, still no police. This went on for miles! Eventually he pulled over to check the car, it was all ok. About FIVE miles up the road there were two police stood in a field chatting - blue jodphurs long leather boots and guns (i liked that bit). Now that's community spirit! :lol:

Round here the stereo-typical BMW driver now prefers an Audi (S-Line spec generally) or a 4x4.

I actually find I get the opposite problem - if I am courteous to other drivers, flash them out etc, I get absolutely no acknowledgement whatsover... :angry:

I had a brand new 3 series for a month while my last car was been repaired, I was shocked at the obvious hated for BMW's on the road. Every junction I came to people would speed up so as not to let the big bad BMW out and if a white van was anywhere near then is was practically fisticuffs for any reason they could find!

fun though :p

In terms of people flashing you to warn you about stuff - In France its amazing! They will flash you from miles away! Everyone does it - and i mean EVERYONE! Last time i was there my dad got flashed, he said the police will be up the road. Drove on, no police, flashed again, still no police. This went on for miles! Eventually he pulled over to check the car, it was all ok. About FIVE miles up the road there were two police stood in a field chatting - blue jodphurs long leather boots and guns (i liked that bit). Now that's community spirit! :lol:

did you have to look up how to spell jodpuhrs??

I had a 3 series years ago and within months of getting it I hated driving it. The car was great but other drivers hate all BMW drivers. I also ended up in an unplanned convoy on the M1 there must have been 8 BM's in a line. At that point I decided to offload it sharpish. Too many about now, which is a shame as they are great motors.

the new E90 is a fantastic car. and i was tempted to get an E46 M3 before i went for the Z. trouble is for 16 grand i can have an awesome, one of a kind 350z GT4 or an M3 thats done 120k. then you have things like the vanos module thats ready to die when the cars 5 years old, and thats a grands worth not including labour!

great cars indeed, but i wouldnt want to own one out of warranty

Round here the stereo-typical BMW driver now prefers an Audi (S-Line spec generally) or a 4x4.

I actually find I get the opposite problem - if I am courteous to other drivers, flash them out etc, I get absolutely no acknowledgement whatsover... :angry:

+1 Audi are the w@@@@rs of the road oh and old mondeos too :surrender:

great thing though even Audi bods think twice when trying to push me out - more tin per tonne on mine yet I am still always nice to others :D

Same in greece as well. flashing when cameras/laser guns around is a tradition. thats why coppers there dont go out much ;):lol:

Generally I find most people have the ability to degenerate into an instant prat once they get behind the wheel no matter what vehicle they're driving. I think its to do with fact that they believe they're untouchable sitting in their own little safety capsule, hence all the abusive gestures etc. Find it amusing that people feel the confidence to abuse me from the safety of their car when they wouldn't have the bottle to front me on the pavement.

It's like that insurance company advert where all the people walking down the street are pushing into each other, shouting and swearing - 'you wouldn't behave like this when you'#re walking'...

It's a good point. People feel invincible in cars.

I still find the most amusing cars/drivers are the Halfords loyalty customers Corsa drivers. They make me smile because I remember when I found all that kind of stuff cool, but then by the time I was 17 and old enough to actually drive I'd grown out of it :lol:

These things said about BMW and Audi drivers i have two more, my own favourites. Micras and 206s. I dont know if they're a problem anywhere else but in London these drivers are a bloody nightmare. Don't indicate, dont exceed 25mph, notoriously take 2 parking spaces, don't use side mirrors (so many times i see them driving along with both mirrors folded lol) completely ignore lights-on switch regardless of time of the day/night, do crazy @*!# on motorways - 11pm, sunday evening, m40 towards london, doing around 80 on the middle lane as there's very little, but slower traffic on the lefthand lane, some quicker cars on the fast lane. suddenly micra driver who's had no one in front of him for 'miles' decides to change lanes without looking, right in front on me. if i didnt have upgraded brakes there would be one very crashed c30 and obliterated micra, as he was doing less than half my speed - im not kidding, when i managed to brake we were both doing about 35mph.

I could give plenty more examples of smth like that, so I just stay clear when i see one. But then again Ive heard that its not as bad in the rest of the country as in london area.

aus

• 2 weeks later...

Micras and 206s :thumbdown:

+1, I live about 30 miles west of London and its definitely the same here. Always concerned when I come up behind a micra, would like to add Toyota Yaris drivers, slowest drivers in the world.

Dakes