Lucky escape

maxi-glasgow

Was coming back up to Glasgow from Ayr this morning and coming thru the average speed cameras I always set the cruise control to 50 so I don't make a mistake with my foot and pay the price for it.

Was in the outside lane going by slower traffic and this silver Mercedes was tailgating me, doing my box in.

So as soon as I hit the last speed camera I was already sitting in 3rd in anticipation and gave it some beans and left him for dead, had about 3 cars pull out right in front of me on the way back and then a lorry which was stopped in the inside lane decided that me coming flying up was the perfect time to pull out and go round a transit van which was half parked up on the kerb....Didn't think I was going to stop in time...

Mercedes had caught back up by now so gave it some juice again and he went out of site, then as I was passing a black BMW I thought something looked off, I was maybe doing around 80 so pulled in front of it and was looking in my mirror, noticed it had an aerial and thought I could see two small squares in the front grille. Immediate thought was unmarked police car.

So sat about 75 and was plenty space between us, pulled out to go by a lorry and a couple of cars were between me and them so put my foot down a bit and noticed them moving out, the mercedes was also back right behind me, so I moved in and sat around 70.

The Merc and couple more cars went past and as the BMW was going past they sat right at my rear quarter panel for a minute before pulling away. Let them go a fair bit into distance then I pulled out and caught them up. The BMW was right behind the Merc now and the Merc was behind a car holding him up, as soon as that pulled in off he went with obviously his foot to the floor. Noticed the black smoke coming out back of BMW as he floored it and within 2 minutes all his lights were flashing, pulled the Merc onto hard shoulder and I had a sigh of relief thinking it could easily have been me if I wasn't paying attention....

So any Scottish owners watch out, it was either a 335 or 535 diesel, with either an 07 plate or 57 plate....

Feeling lucky now, so off to pick some horses at Cheltenham :yahoo:

There's loads of them about now, even seen a few Skoda Octavias also. A friend also told me that he was caught speeding in Glasgow, at night time when it was dark, by the hand held gun, got points and fine. Pretty much just take my time everywhere cos its not worth it any more.

Lucky escape mate, bet you let out a hell of a sigh when you seen the Merc gettin pulled :p

Lucky lucky you......in fife its a black volvo that hangs around the A92 - I thought I was geting pulled by it the other day when I was burling along and the lights came on in my rear view...thankfuly he just wanted past me to go get a foreign lorry :headhurt:

In the Strathclyde area, nine times out of ten the registration of unmarked police cars starts with "SF". (Strathclydes Finest) :teeth: So if i'm cruising down the motorway and see a reasonably new BMW or Focus that starts with SF and is white/silver/black, I immediately slow down to the exact speed limit :)

Very lucky mate. Sometimes you just get a feel for these things, your instincts scream out that somethings just not quite right. Was giving my old 200SX a bit of a blast a few years back and a car was constantly in my rear view just far enough behind to remain what they thought was inconspicuous. I was well spooked and dropped to within the speed limit hoping that if the vehicle was an unmarked car it was too far away to have obtained any video evidence. On this the other car slowed up pulled in and hovered behind for a mile or so obviously hoping I'd blast off again. My suspicion was confirmed when eventually the other vehicle lost interest and passed me with the police officer in the passenger seat glancing across giving me that 'you were lucky' look.

In the Strathclyde area, nine times out of ten the registration of unmarked police cars starts with "SF". (Strathclydes Finest) :teeth: So if i'm cruising down the motorway and see a reasonably new BMW or Focus that starts with SF and is white/silver/black, I immediately slow down to the exact speed limit :)

They most always have unmarked reg plates as well, with no company names on them :p

That was a close call! Must be a good feeling to escape after coming so close to letting the zed speed off.

Had a close one when the road was clear but my zed's been poorly running with a screw in the tyre. Past the bushes at 5mph below the 40 limit to see a radar on a tripod locked onto me. Guy must have been so disappointed that I was going so slow :lol:

Made me feel good for the rest of the day :teeth:

hypothetically if I was to work next to the Vehicle Maintenance Unit for a North West police force I could mention that a shiny batch of 10 BMW 3series estates appeared recently. So always slow down for a 3 series estate with tints in the rear.

Lol @ hypothetically :lol:

Last weekend I was a passenger in my wife's Golf GTI. We were in a small village near Coventry which has a number of small hills with bends. There was a brief headlight flash from a car coming in the opposite direction. I said to my wife, just check your lights and your speed.

I got an earful !!! :headhurt:

The problem is that she is an Advanced Motorist, and I am not...

Anyway, she slowed slightly, just enough to miss being booked by the the speed camera mounted in a van parked round the next bend.

It took over an hour for me to loose the smile from my face... :#2:

S.

Im always at livi police station delivering cars to them and got a good look at the unmarked cars sitting in their compound :teeth:

They now have big audi saloons too.

Plus i love the fact they have those digi radios now too, if they are behind you in the dark and you see two squares light up about chest height. jackpot, i see yooouuuu :#1: