Bought a new bike (cheap) highly recommend

I used to be a keen cycler and ive spent a lot of money on bikes before.... I thought i'd get into cycling to work and back now the weather is getting better.

I didnt want to spend much and im not as fussy about it being top notch. I looked on ebay and set myself a limit of £100... got out bid on a few then I decided to look at Halfords...

I bought this.....

161607?$prod$

trax txc1 mens mountain bike

Pretty boggo standard... 18 gears etc.... but it looks and feels the bee's knees. I ordered online as they had none in store £89.99 + £10 delivery, then I whipped it round my local Halfords and they assembled it FOC...

Me and a couple of the work lads have just been riding it round the warehouse and they are just ordering themselves one each online....

This is by no means a bike for a seasoned rider but for a daily commute and occasional rider its well worth the money....

Im going to have to order a gel seat though :scare:

Nice one mate looks like a bargain :thumbs:

I got a off roader from Costco - with front suspension doodars - has been resting in the garage for a while now - need to get my arse in to gear and burn off some of this inactivity since baby Zeds arrival! :dummy: Maybe we could cycle to the Krispy Kreme meets in Trafford Park! :lol::snack:

I bought one from Halfords a few years ago... it was a full suspension bike, looked amazing, and it was only £50!

I went on a ride with my bro and my bro-in-law (who both have relatively good bikes - £250 & £750), and they're both 15 years older than me, and i thought i was gonna die...!

It was a dead simple ride - 26mile former railway line so completely flat, and after about 17miles i was ruined. At one point they were 15mins ahead of me and they stopped and waited for me to catch up.

At that point we swapped bikes, and they both instantly started whinging - we did a free wheel test... pedal upto the same speed and then stop pedaling and see how far you coast - and my bike was managing 10yds compared with their 60-70yds!!!! Thats why i was in such a state!!

Needless to say i didnt take it out on any more long rides..! :lol:

I bought a full suss 10 years ago, before I could drive or drink and thus had nothing else to spend my money on... was really into it.

Starting up again but haven't touched it for a few years and now it just doesn't cut the mustard, so I enquired about the 'Ride2Work' or 'Cycle2Work' scheme set up by the government, whereby my company purchases the bike as an asset and leases it back to me for 12 months, but thereby mitigating VAT and reducing NI.

Basically, I'm getting a Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert, rrp £949 but I'm paying £559.91 i.e. 41% discount! :clap:

Best part is it comes out of your wage accross 12 months, interest free. If your company is willing to do it, I think it's a good deal. OK so it's not a £100 jobbie from ebay, but to me i'll save money on Zed Juice by riding to work...

www.evanscycles.com/ride2work

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... L%20Expert

B)

:thumbs:

Cycle to work scheme is tops, but I won't qualifiy till next year in my current job. boo! Mind you, the £1000 won't even buy the frame of the bike i want!

Don't know why they bother with suspension forks at that price, you might as well have a fully rigid bike and save yourself a few kilos :thumbs:

As this is a bike thread, heres a pic: :teeth:

IMG_1144.jpg

Cycle to work scheme is tops, but I won't qualifiy till next year in my current job. boo! Mind you, the £1000 won't even buy the frame of the bike i want!

Don't know why they bother with suspension forks at that price, you might as well have a fully rigid bike and save yourself a few kilos :thumbs:

As this is a bike thread, heres a pic: :teeth:

IMG_1144.jpg

Andy that looks like someone has dumped it :lol:

I bought a full suss 10 years ago, before I could drive or drink and thus had nothing else to spend my money on... was really into it.

Starting up again but haven't touched it for a few years and now it just doesn't cut the mustard, so I enquired about the 'Ride2Work' or 'Cycle2Work' scheme set up by the government, whereby my company purchases the bike as an asset and leases it back to me for 12 months, but thereby mitigating VAT and reducing NI.

Basically, I'm getting a Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert, rrp £949 but I'm paying £559.91 i.e. 41% discount! :clap:

Best part is it comes out of your wage accross 12 months, interest free. If your company is willing to do it, I think it's a good deal. OK so it's not a £100 jobbie from ebay, but to me i'll save money on Zed Juice by riding to work...

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride2work

B)

My work offers this scheme but I was under the impression it was a 12 month hire agreement and at the end of the 12 month period you could buy the bike from your company at market value. At least thats what it says on the government website. Sounded like a duff deal to me so i didn't bother.

R

B)

My work offers this scheme but I was under the impression it was a 12 month hire agreement and at the end of the 12 month period you could buy the bike from your company at market value. At least thats what it says on the government website. Sounded like a duff deal to me so i didn't bother.

R

Thats basically correct but the "market Value" is a mere 5% of the purchase price, so it's basically the same as your monthly payment. If you are in the sub< £38k tax bracket like most of us, you save about 30-40% on the RRP.

B)

R

Thats basically correct but the "market Value" is a mere 5% of the purchase price, so it's basically the same as your monthly payment. If you are in the sub< £38k tax bracket like most of us, you save about 30-40% on the RRP.

Aaaah thanks for clearing that up, should still save a bit even being in the 40% tax bracket :lol:

R

I went on a ride with my bro and my bro-in-law (who both have relatively good bikes - £250 & £750), and they're both 15 years older than me, and i thought i was gonna die...!

It was a dead simple ride - 26mile former railway line so completely flat, and after about 17miles i was ruined. At one point they were 15mins ahead of me and they stopped and waited for me to catch up.

At that point we swapped bikes, and they both instantly started whinging - we did a free wheel test... pedal upto the same speed and then stop pedaling and see how far you coast - and my bike was managing 10yds compared with their 60-70yds!!!! Thats why i was in such a state!!

Just think though, how much it toughens up the muscles. :thumbs: Lol, I rode my mountain bike for a while whilst waiting for insurance to pay out on a roadbike that was stolen. Really toughens you up. :D

Andy that looks like someone has dumped it :lol:

Lol, na it's just in character. ;) Like Chelsea tractors that never see dirt, let alone gravel.

• 3 weeks later...

I collected my bike on Friday, and I WAS pretty impressed with it.

I went on my first cycle yesterday around the local loch. I covered roughly 4 or 5 miles until my rear wheel had fallen off. :lol: I was cursing like a trooper and had to carry the bike on my shoulder for nearly 2 miles. :blush:

On to Halfords just now to kick up stink...

Mate, that's not good.......... always check your nuts :p ..... or quick release if you have :D

I once went to the forest for a ride and saw this chap with his family trying to re-assemble their bikes.... :snack:

It was a good 30 minutes before I felt I had to point out that the wheel with the cogs on goes at the back... and perhaps it might be a good idea to write everyone's names on their rims so they don't get muddled up :bang:

I did offer to get my label maker :thumbs: ... I don't think he was too impressed :angry: .... I made a hasty retreat before I had a wheel lobbed at me :wave:

you can lead a horse to water............................

• 3 months later...

Slight update.

I have covered just over 50 miles on this bike to date, and cycling home from work this evening, my pedal had fallen off whilst I powering down a busy road with traffic all around me. I was very lucky not to fall over on my arse under an on coming car.

5 mile walk home :yahoo::yahoo:

I just have to laugh. :lol::lol::lol::lol: