New rears needed - need a place...

neo-ninja

My rear tires are now at the point where really i should do them, the back right prob has 1-2 mm before saftey marker, but the rear left is more or less on it (i only do about 20 miles a week, so was no point in getting them done early).

But i was wondering if anyone can recommend anyone in my local area, Weybridge, Walton on Thames way (Just south of london). I can take them to the local nissan but i have been told they charge a fortune...

Also what sort of price should i be looking at for 2 new rear bridgestones? £100 each? £150 each with fitting etc?

Let me know,

Many thanks in advance!

Neo

Try this website called tyre shopper. All you do is type your reg in and then it gives you a list of tyres that fit your car.

Once you pick the tyres you want, it will then ask you for a postcode for the nearest fitting shop. Sometimes its free fitting as well but if not you will only be paying tops a fiver or so.......... Barum the make is the same as continental as its made in the same factory...... :D

Which was Highly recommended mid range tyre by Auto Express £119 a tyre.............including fitting..........

Not sure what the entry level are like but they are £87 a tyre...........

Plus FREE EXTRA COVER PROTECTION FOR YOUR CAR TYRES*

This is as per websites info...............

Accidental Impact Damage Cover

If your tyre sustains accidental damage to the tread or sidewall during the legal lifetime of the tyre, ie up to 1.6mm remaining tread depth, which cannot be repaired to British Standard BSAU/159, the tyre will be replaced with a new tyre at the prevailing price minus an allowance based on the tread depth remaining on the damaged tyre.

Your allowances are:

Remaining Tread Depth Allowance Remaining Tread Depth Allowance

8mm 100% 4mm 35%

7mm 80% 3mm 20%

6mm 65% 2mm 5%

5mm 50% 1.6mm nil

Have a look and see........... :D

http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/home.asp? ... 4wodR2mDsQ

Regards

Jamie

recon they seem expsenive tbh, but how does it work in terms of i order them, then you just take your car to the tire place and they fit?

Yes thats right just pick your tyres and then the website will suggest a garage thats nearest........... Don't think £87 is bad though especially with a garantee for replacement if tyre fails etc........ Never used these tyres but cheap enough to give them a go............

Regards

Jamie

just seems like a massive pain to start ordering and taking them somewhere, also suprised places do it tbh ~(not that im saying they dont, as obviously they do with so many people having done it!), as presumably they make most of thier money from the tire sales themselves.

Its a shame noone can recommend somewhere local.

Also on a side note, if one of the tires is on. just above the safety markers does that mean if i get stopped i can be fined and points?

So people, just got a chance to check the spec of my current tires, ready to start ordering the new one, and on all 4 tires i have

Bridgestone Protenza RE040

Is that normal? (i know in my last few cars it was normal to have a complete same set of tires) but i have read people putting larger tires on the back etc...

Just need some advice really,

let me know,

Not sure what wheels you have (looks like rays in your sig?) but the rear tyres certainly are bigger. The part you've posted "Bridgestone Potenza RE040" just described the manufacturer and range of tyre. The size will also be on the tyre wall. The standard sizes on the rays are:

Front: 225/45 R18

Rear: 245/45 R18.

You can read more about tyre size indications here:

http://www.performancealloys.com/find_tyresize.asp

Hope that helps

I'm booked in to have a set of Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas fitted on friday :)

Ditch the Bridgestones 040's - utterly awful tyre for the UK. Far too hard a compound - you get loads of miles from them but they take an age to warm up and never really felt good in the wet to me. I swapped for (cheaper!) Toyo Proxies T1R's and they offer loads more grip in both dry and wet conditions. A little sidewall flex mind, but a few extra psi in the tyres lessened this for me.

Others on here recommend the Falken 452's aswell. Or, if you feel flush, Michelin Pilot Sports are (so say those who use them,) the best tyre for the 350z.

Camskills are the way to go I got my Toyo's from them and my local garage said they could not buy them at the price I was getting them for :thumbs:

Where did you get your tyres fitted Andy as you are not a million miles from neo-ninja and I might need to make use at sometime in the near future ;) Did they have rim protection gear on their fitting machines?

Ditch the Bridgestones 040's - utterly awful tyre for the UK. Far too hard a compound - you get loads of miles from them but they take an age to warm up and never really felt good in the wet to me. I swapped for (cheaper!) Toyo Proxies T1R's and they offer loads more grip in both dry and wet conditions. A little sidewall flex mind, but a few extra psi in the tyres lessened this for me.

Others on here recommend the Falken 452's aswell. Or, if you feel flush, Michelin Pilot Sports are (so say those who use them,) the best tyre for the 350z.

TBH i havent found them bad at all, they feel about right in the wet tbh, and road noise i dont find a problem at all.

The tire place I am looking at is quoting me about £160 all in for each 245/35/R18 96W Bridgestone Potanza RE040

Seems a tad more then i was expecting but aslong as they last me a fair amount of time, then i will be fine.

Trawl back throught the hundreds of threads on tyres on here and you will find it hard to find anyone to say a good word about the 040's, after experiencing the alternatives. The 050's are much better (standard fit on late 350's and now the 370's) and some prefer their characteristics to the Falkens or Toyos. If your budget does not stretch to MPS's then go for the Falkens, Toyos or 050A Stones as having seen umpteen postings over the last 5 years on tyres they have been the clear favourites.

Got the hint ;)