New rears needed - need a place...

neo-ninja

I was about to order 2 new(front) falken 452 tyres from camskill about £90 each. Went to my local garage where i usually go since i know the guy to see about him fitting them but he said he couldn't do it since his machine wasnt big enough to do 18's, But he has a friend in another town who he gets all his bigger tyres fitted. I'm pretty sure he said he charges £20 to fit a tyre :wacko: Then he went off on the phone to speak to that guy. Comes back and tells me if i wanted i could buy the tyres off him, £95 per tyre, fitted. Sweet! :thumbs:

I was about to order 2 new(front) falken 452 tyres from camskill about £90 each. Went to my local garage where i usually go since i know the guy to see about him fitting them but he said he couldn't do it since his machine wasnt big enough to do 18's, But he has a friend in another town who he gets all his bigger tyres fitted. I'm pretty sure he said he charges £20 to fit a tyre :wacko: Then he went off on the phone to speak to that guy. Comes back and tells me if i wanted i could buy the tyres off him, £95 per tyre, fitted. Sweet! :thumbs:

Im just a bit suspect of falkens aswell, as they are as cheap as some of the cheapest tires you can get... and hardly any cars have them as stock...

would it make a difference if i have them the other way around?

IMHO, it isn't ideal but it'll be ok. Just get saving and replace the other pair when you can.

Right now I have 040 on the front and some cheap rubbish on the back (thanks for that Nissan Shepperton), hence getting all 4 done on friday. When grip is lacking on the roads the back goes suddenly, without warning, at times that don't make sense, which I'm pretty sure is down to the bad tyre set up. At least in your case you'll have the best rubber where it should be, on the back.

All just my opinion of course.

just had a wee scout about. Seems that a japanese company called 'Sumimoto Rubber' manufacture Goodyear, dunlop and falken tyres. So chances are they will all be the same tyre, just different treads on them. You'll most likely find that most big brands have sister companies.

If you want to stick with Bridgestone then RE050s are the way to go.

If you fancy trying something different then do it. There are LOADS of reviews and recommendations on here. Toyos, Falkens, Vredensteins and MPS all get good user reviews.

DONE!

yeah recon i will just do it, and get it over and done with. See how it goes. Its got to be better then haveing 2 very worn back tires, no matter what i have surely?

I am inclined to agree, though i am not disputing that all 4 being matched from day 1 is even better.

Why should it be such a big drama if you have 2 different sets of tyres front and back.

Purely the fact alone that it's RWD, and FWS with fatter tyres at the rear means grip is going to be different on each and anyway. I can't really see it being a problem, good practice maybe, but not an issue. Having 2 different tyres on one end could be a problem though...

Why should it be such a big drama if you have 2 different sets of tyres front and back.

Purely the fact alone that it's RWD, and FWS with fatter tyres at the rear means grip is going to be different on each and anyway. I can't really see it being a problem, good practice maybe, but not an issue. Having 2 different tyres on one end could be a problem though...

Agreed it should be but if you look on the Smart Roadster forums, and z4 forums people highly condem it, and in the smart roadster case it could actually make the car quiet dangerous to drive about 60 mph. Sounds surpsiing i know but have a look and you shall see...

So really i was just after advice..

But im going to give it a go and see what happens, will keep you posted

Mark