2 months ownership down. Couple of questions!

Number86

Well. I've had my z for a couple of months now. I'll save all I love it garb because, well you've heard it all before, and it's all true :)

I just had a couple of questions.

I have what I think is known as the "clicking rear axle" but it doesn't sound anything like a click. Unfortunately the search on this forum is...random in it's results.

So I wonder if anyone can help. When I pull away with more than light force, I can heard the engine roar and spin. But for the first 0.5-1 second of doing this there is a rattling sound. It sounds like it's directly proportional to the revs of the engine, and doesn't sound anything like a click. But I don't see (or can't find) any other posts relating to this other than the clicky axle. Could it be the timing chain having a wobble under thrust? Or is it indeed the axle issue?

The other question, not directly related to my car really. More curiosity. I've got an 06 facelift, and see mentions of a very mildly revised front bumper. But I can't for the life of me see any differences between them. Could someone show this moron what exactlty the difference is :D

Thanks guys,

You've been great. I'm here all week, try the chicken!

the rattling noise could be the clutch, i have upgraded my clutch and flywheel to a lightened ACT version, with this sports clutch system there is a well know low revs rattle.

maybe you have this kind of set up in you car and you dont it, i find that it happens when i pull away and dont give it enough beans and it can also happen in other gears if the revs are to low for that gear and the rattle stops as soon as you pick up speed

just my thoughts :thumbs:

im not sure on the front bumpers but i do know the side reflectors on the bumpers differ from the new to the old

Paul :)

It was a woman who owned it before. Who traded up to a merc. I may be sterotyping a little, but probably not the type to fit an uprated clutch :D

The noise isn't necessarily at low revs. Just if a set off with a bit of speed and force. I've definitely heard it a circa 2.5k revs.

The front bumper on the later models had a dip in the centre of the lower edge of the 'mouth'. :)

A little more than that - it is slightly reprofiled - you can't use MY03 reflectors in a MY06 bumper for instance. Also I believe the horizontal grill slats in th MY06 bumper, in a grey plastic, vary from the MY03 bumpers.

The front bumper on the later models had a dip in the centre of the lower edge of the 'mouth'. :)

A little more than that - it is slightly reprofiled - you can't use MY03 reflectors in a MY06 bumper for instance. Also I believe the horizontal grill slats in th MY06 bumper, in a grey plastic, vary from the MY03 bumpers.

Agreed, was just offering the visual aid. :thumbs:

I think the slats are the same colour but fewer and deeper on the MY06 too?

Sounds like the slightly rattly clutch / gearbox that the Zeds have. Nothing out of the ordinary just part of the cars 'character'.

If it becomes more of a whine it could be thrust bearing but it doesn't sound like it from your description.

As for the clicking axle, it will mainly be heard when you have the window down (unless it is very loud). Most people discover it in April / May time when they pull away with the window down for the first time! :dry:

Maybe a long shot I had mine into Nissan 3 times with a mettalic rattle.They stripped the rear drive shafts twice,found nothing still rattling.On the third occasion they said they found a stone trapped between wheel and hub.

Don't ask me how but it sorted it.

Thanks guys!

Doesn't sound like anything to worry about just yet then! It could well be something like a stone by the sounds of it. But it's go no warranty, so I'm certainly not paying £xxx just to diagnose something that isn't really a problem at the moment. Hopefully my motoring will remain expense free for a while longer yet. Apart from the service, £400 tax, and 2 new tyres which I will need shortly... :scare:

I have noticed one other thing. After heavy rain, when I open the door, water pours out from the door sill. It never actually makes it into the footwells or anything, but it's clear it's made it do the sills through the exterior a bit. Is this another free "feature" of the car, or the sign of seals wearing?

Thanks again!

I would say your noise is the OEM flywheel wearing. There are two types of flywheel noise, one where the OEM dual mass is wearing out therefore the springs aren't what they used to be therefore the flywheel actually touches the metalic stops. Once fully engaged it you wouldn't hear it! It appears (when its at its worst) as an inital clunk with a little bit of metalic chatter after that. If this is the noise I would firstly get a garage to check it out and look to replace the flywheel and clutch ASAP.

Note: On idle you shouldn't hear anything as the dual mass flywheel is disengaged.

If you have an uprated flywheel (and clutch) the metalic noise will be heard on idle aswell as first engagement.

Hmm. The noise. I suppose I could best describe as getting a plastic box. Sitck a bolt or something in there, and shake it around. But the rattling is in time with the engine, if you see what I mean. Haven't heard anything that I could describe as a clunk.

Doesn't the flywheel only really wear if clutch is on it's way out? Which I haven't noticed any signs of...

OH, and you can only really hear it with the window down!

Nope flywheel can wear independly ... depends on if it has had a new clutch in its lifetime.

<- good animation of a dual mass flywheel but in simple terms:

Its basically one flywheel inside another, connected by a high resistance spring. When the clutch engages it hits the first inner flywheel that will spin slightly on the play of the spring, once the spring has got too stiff it will start to spin the whole flywheel. Basically it is designed to give the car a smoother engagement as its almost a progressive engagement of the flywheel!

If that spring has worn, it will no longer be a smoother transition from the inner to the outer flywheel it will cause the inner flywheel to hit the extremeity of the stops and will engage the secondary (outer) fly to start spinning immediately. If you are not doing a full throttle launch and you are engaging the clutch gently (i.e. you are letting the clutch slip slightly as per normal) the noise you may hear would be the inner flywheel hitting the metal stops several times before being fully engaged.

When I had this issue my clutch bite was really good but the noise was still there. Once the gearbox had been removed it was evident the clutch was pretty much a brand new and a knackered flywheel.

Hope this answers your questions.

Dan

I have a similar-ish rattle but it doesn't appear linked to engine speed. I have been told that I do have the clicky rear axle by nissan at the last service.

It certainly seems to come from the back of the car.

Can you get someone to walk along side the car as you pull off to see if they can work out which end of the car is doing the rattling?

Oh, with all the snow I've heard the traction control come on enough times. That's a noise, not a clunking rattle :)

Hmm. Not sure know. I'm trying to imagine in my head what the sound in the video dcash posted would sound like, sped up bit, and amplified through the car...It could possibly be that.

The car has done 40k, so it's possible it's already had a clutch change on the cheap. What are the implications of leaving as is, assuming the clutch is ok, and the DMF is buggered?

So I wonder if anyone can help. When I pull away with more than light force, I can heard the engine roar and spin. But for the first 0.5-1 second of doing this there is a rattling sound. It sounds like it's directly proportional to the revs of the engine, and doesn't sound anything like a click. But I don't see (or can't find) any other posts relating to this other than the clicky axle. Could it be the timing chain having a wobble under thrust? Or is it indeed the axle issue?

I'm probably the least qualified to talk about this, but I think I had something similar with our zed (metal-like rattling in low gears when car is cold, somewhere between 1-1.3k RPM). The dealer had a look around this and I was told it was a loose exhaust heat shield that only required some nut tightening?. Charged me £8 for it which it's probably the least anyone has been charged in a Nissan dealership :scare: I haven't heard it since then.

Again, not sure how that tallied with reality though