Buying a 350z

Demolition49

First time poster here, and hopefully many more to come!

I have my heart set on a 350z for so many reasons, so ive been doing the reasearch and ive come across alot of confusing information about the updates the 350z had each year.

From what i can pull from wikipedia it seems like so:

2005 - (mid-year) 6 speed manual was introduced with the 300hp/260tq rev up. Larger bi-xenon projectors, front bumper revised and rear lights use LED's. Interior changes I.E center console and some smaller changes?

2007 - moderately revised 306hp/268tq bulge in the bonnet.

I Have around 10-12k (Preferably 11k) to spend and i want to get a 2005 with fairly low mileage I.E 30k or less.Does anybody think this is realistic? Am i correct in saying a 2005 350z with 6 speed will have the revisions I.E more powerful engine and LED's for rear lights?

Another thing i was uncertain on is the flip up storage/navi cover - what year was this revised? mid 2005?

Another question is are there any key things i should be looking for on the 350z apart from the usual stuff you look for on any car.

Thanks for all your help.

BTW im 20yo and in the uk any reccommendation for insurance would be good! ive got quote but they are sky high, i know im going to have to swallow a large amount but just looking if anybody elce here is in the same boat as me.

Cheers! :drunk:

Hey, welcome. The facelift model with 300bhp LED's etc was 2006, the HR engine with buldge was 2007.

TBH you will be lucky to pick up a low milage 2005 for that price, maybe a higher milage 2004 or older model.

There is plenty other info on here, including a buyers guide.

as for insurance I use Bell, no frills but low(ish) premiums.

R

I bought a 55 plate UK GT model with 36k on the clock for £12.5k just recently...that was with extensive shopping around, and buying privately!

I saw some 2004 models with similar mileage going for around your budget, so stick with it and something good will come up! :thumbs:

Oh and welcome to the club!!

As others have said you will probably struggle to get a facelift car for your budget, but don't worry the prefacelift car is also fantastic! :#1:

In fact quite a few people on here have said there is very little difference in performance between the 2 engines, and some have even stated they prefer the pre facelift engine.

Rear LED lights can be changed very easily, and all cars are 6 speed.

The interior is slightly better on facelifted cars but you don't buy a 350z for the interior anyway...

Look out for clicky rear driveshafts when pulling away, make sure the stereo works and the CD player doesn't skip, and that the windows go up and down when opening and closing the doors.

have a scout around in the FAQ section there is loads of info in there...

I picked up a low mileage 2004 for that price and i was looking for a good 6 months. I was 22 when i puirchased in August, best quote was through admiral for £908 but you have to pay upfront if not its around £1200. The rest of the info your looking for is already on here, just have a search. Hope this helps :thumbs:

Welcome to the forum!

as a potential buyer, i would also like to ask do all 350z models

have the tape player in the centre console?

i'm looking at a 2005 GT4 and was surprised to see the tape player!

i know its a small detail and all, but it struck me as slightly odd

that a five year old car still comes with this, is it not a slightly out dated feature?

do you guys take them out or not bother? it seems a tad naff...

In agreement with all others above that you will only really be able to get a 2003-2005 350z. It's worth noting that the 2003-2005 actually had the most factory quoted torque (274 lbs/ft) than both the two facelift models that followed (2006 revup had 260 and HR had 268). My car in fact made close to 290 lbs/ft torque and is totally stock. It pulls like stink :teeth: The higher bhp in the other two models will only be noticed if going at speeds well over 100 so all in all very little difference between them. Unfortunately prices have gone up slightly in second hand cars, pretty amazing but facts are facts (they have definitely not gone down at all) because the economy has had an upturn recently. A year ago you could probably have gotten a slightly higher mileage 2006 for your budget but definitely not now. Good luck in your search.

If any interest or bearing on the matter, the later model 350's are also a bit heavier, than say a 2003 or 2004.

i would also like to ask do all 350z models have the tape player in the centre console?

i'm looking at a 2005 GT4 and was surprised to see the tape player!

It's something that other models look upon with envy at the 80's technology that they're missing out on. :lol::lol: As with the large majority of jumpy cd players. :lol:

the tape deck is extremly useful as a cheap ipod connector. i use one of those tape converter things and get pristine sound quality out of it.

How exactly does this work?

I'm really surprised that people are not taking the tape decks out...or is it impossible because it's built in to the centre console etc?

Also surprised about the number of complaints regarding the CD player, are people not replacing these for something better?

the tape deck is extremly useful as a cheap ipod connector. i use one of those tape converter things and get pristine sound quality out of it.

How exactly does this work?

I'm really surprised that people are not taking the tape decks out...or is it impossible because it's built in to the centre console etc?

Also surprised about the number of complaints regarding the CD player, are people not replacing these for something better?

Tape deck is handy for connecting to ipod.

Alot of people just like myself have changed the bose because it can be skippy and lose sound on left side.

i have a pioneer with ipod control.

It is pretty good :)

Best to get an FM transmitter for ~£30 from Halfords and then you get your ipod or iphone playing wirelessly :D Also charges it up at the same time - just plug it into the cig lighter inbetween the seats and your iphone can rest in the centre cubby hole between the seats (where the bluetooth adapter also sits) and bobs your uncle. Use mine every time I drive. Although my CD player has been 99% perfect since buying the car 12mths ago, no real problems - my old golf's Sony CD player was only 99% perfect too - I only had one or two cd's skip but only when it was very cold and on the whole the 350z's cd player has been perfect touch wood. Bose is actually a very good make of stereo and fitted to high end cars worldwide.

I went for the 2005 model (non-revup) because they ironed out the small issues in the 03/04 models. It's worth noting that the facelift rev-up 2006 model had reported oil consumption issues in a few of the cars, enough cases for Nissan to have it as a known issue/service bulletin, although it was only a very small minority of cars affected.

I see people mentioning the FM adpters but I've tried a few and without fail have been completely shitty, they either fuzz out after a few minutes or I can never get a clear signal in the first place. Do you live in an place without many FM stations? It's hardly like London where I live (ie every .5 there's something pirate or otherwise) but it's still pretty bad. Let alone going any sort of distance without it phasing out when a new station comes into zone.

I think it annoys me so much just because they seem like a really good idea and I feel like I'm missing something when they work so badly for me :p