garage conversion costs

Rentech

Hi all,

Can any building type people give me a very ball park figure for converting a standalone brick garage into a room. Not for living in but for use, say as an office. It would require

building works

plumbing works

electrical works

drainage works.

Cheers :thumbs:

I can give you an idea if you can let me know the following:

1. What are the dimensions approx in metres

2. Wall construction at present (brick single skin 103 mm thick or other?)

3. Floor construction as existing (solid concrete?)

4. Pitched or flat roof?

5. Windows as existing and do you need more?

6. Doors as existing and would you need more?

7. What plumbing works do you require?

8. You will need Planning Approval

9. You will need Building Control Approval

10. Where is the garage located in relation to your property, other property, roads etc.?

11. Do you intend to heat it and if so how?

Being the son of an Architect..... planners will be you issue. According to my Pops they are all a bunch of unreasonable, Incompetent you know whats..... no affence if anyone on here is a county planner ;)

Has any one else in the direct vecinity where you live done the sameor similar? They would be a good start to speak to. Dont forget that if you do require plannng permision then your neighbours can either be your best friend :wave: or your enemy :angry: !!!!! t

i am building a rather large garage at the moment 9m x 7m with an upstairs

so far

planning £300

drawings £450

Building warrent £620

Structrual engineers drawing/report £250

hanvt even dug the foundation yet :scare:

Sounds about right. Have you got a budget?

As far as I know - you only need planning permission if the room is deemed habitable - and the definition of this is if it is heated. Therefore, providing you don't put radiators in, you dont need planning permission :thumbs: (there is nothing to stop you putting in 'portable' heating like electric heaters etc)

Many years ago I sold conservatories, and this rule applied then - not sure if its still valid - but if so it will save you a few hundred quid on planning permission ;)

edit - I'm sure Nixy may be able to clarify this, as I believe she works in planning etc

found this: http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/con ... arage.html

Can I convert my garage?

Before you go ahead with your garage conversion, you need to know all the legal issues involved. There are three main things that you need to check first - if you go ahead without permission you could be forced to return everything to its original condition, at your own cost.

Restrictive clauses in your lease - You need to check your property deeds for any restrictive covenants. Some developers place a restriction on any building work that will affect the external appearance of the house. If there is such a clause, contact them, as it can often be circumvented for a fee. Your other option is to convert the inside of the garage without changing its external appearance. This is often achieved by keeping a front portion of the garage for storage space and converting the rest. Of course, the suitability of this option depends on your intentions for the garage.

Planning permission - You usually only need to apply for planning permission to convert a garage when you intend to extend the actual size of the garage. However, check with your local authority as the precise rules do differ.

Building Regulations - If you plan to convert any part of your house into a room to be used as habitable space, you will need to comply with government building regulations. A building control officer will probably need to check your conversion a number of times during construction. More information can be found on the relevant section of the government's website. Again, rules differ so you need to check with your local council. There are some instances where permission to convert your garage may be denied such as:

You live in a listed building or neighbourhood - It is very likely in this case that the external appearance of the house must be maintained as it is.

Your garage conversion would affect drainage - If you plan on concreting over your garden or anything similar, thus putting extra pressure on the existing drainage in place, you may need to invest in a solution to allay the potential for flooding or blocked drains.

Additional insulation is needed - Some councils will allow you to simply add the extra fill to the existing construction, others demand that you dig up the floor and insulate it as if building from scratch. This will affect your budget, so always check first.

Parking restrictions - In some cities where there is a particular shortage of parking spaces such as London, councils can refuse permission to convert your garage from a place where a car is kept.

are you mad??? Where will the zed go? :lol:

I deal with planning as my job. The rules on what is permitted development have changed massively recently. You can build all sorts of extensions with no planning permission. However you will need building control approval for your garage conversion. Go to your local council website and click on the planning portal which will tell you what permission you need. :thumbs:

i am building a rather large garage at the moment 9m x 7m with an upstairs

so far

planning £300

drawings £450

Building warrent £620

Structrual engineers drawing/report £250

hanvt even dug the foundation yet :scare:

Sounds about right. Have you got a budget?

i kinda tallied it up to around £15k for materials, i will be doing most of it myself as im a joiner and can also turn my hand to most things. cant wait to have a nice warm place to keep the Z :teeth:

Moved to Off Topic :thumbs:

Oops!, Came looking for the post after realising but you beat me to it :D

Cheers for all the responses. Don't worry it's not my garage and as Zed already has to sit out in the cold.

Planning permission is all sorted. The garage is being converted to a treatment room for a medical condition. We usually install a portacabin, that fits the bill, but this time that is not feasible. As far as I am aware, the existing garage is brick built, single skinned with a concrete floor and garage door. It will need an electric heater (no central heating required), and require plumbing and drainage. Sink with cold and hot water (supplied from electric boiler). WC is not required. It will need a window fitting. I’m not sure what roof it has but I guess it will be remaining flat if that's how it is at the moment. Located in the garden of the property roughly 20ft away. SIze mmmm, not being much help here am I? I'm not involved directly with the install so I'm working with 3rd hand info. Standard single car garage size?

We have a quote of 19k! Suprised me but it may just be to going rate as it's been a while

Cheers

We have a quote of 19k! Suprised me but it may just be to going rate as it's been a while

Cheers

If it's single garage size, say 18 m2 then that sounds a good quote IMO. Anywhere between £1000 to £2000 per m2 is okay depending on the level of finishes (carpet, decoration etc). Although in today's climate the bottom end of the range is more realistic if the contractor NEEDS the work. It's the DDA and access requirements that put the costs up for a public building nowadays!!

Hope this helps

Planning permission is all sorted. Cheers

If you still have any problems - pm me - I am a qualified planner and help people out who have problems with Local Planning Authorities. Some of the comments made on your thread reflect the understandable confusion and frustration about the planning system and there is a lot of misunderstanding. ;)