350z or 370z

Laponator

Cmon guys. *Most* of the comments in here smack of some sort of jealousy.

It's a new car. Brand new. It costs what the 350 did new. Of course it's going to cost 15k more if you're comparing it to a 15k Z. As it would be with any car!

Suggesting that the interior is @*!# as well is just laughable. Maybe Im being harsh, but it just sounds like some 350 owners are trying to massage their own egos by convincing themselves that the newer model is @*!#, or has faults, not worth it etc. It's life guys. Something newer/better/faster, will always come out. There's no shame!

It's funny. I've seen it with every car I've ever owned and plenty of others too, and it's always interesting to note that an unbiased viewpoint almost always votes in favour of the new model. I wonder why :)

What an ill informed post.

Trust me, I'm not jealous of a 370z ;)

The point about the extra £15k is, is it £15k better than a 350z? No, no its not.

I think you'll find that the two people who have slated the interior are not 350z owners, so have no reason to be biased ;);)

Don't understand the logic of your statement "The point about the extra £15k is, is it £15k better than a 350z? No, no its not." when the 370 retails at the same price as the 350 did. The question surely is whether if offered a brand new 370 or a brand new 350 which would you chose.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The logic is you're comparing second hand to new. Then in the same post referring to a 15k difference. Which isn't fair or logical, considering one is new and one isn't.

When you're comparing 350s do you compare a 03 to and 05 and say well. Unlcuky, Pal. You just bought an 05 350z for 7k more than my 03 is worth. When there's zero difference between them.

It's a new car. Brand new. It costs what the 350 did new. Of course it's going to cost 15k more if you're comparing it to a 15k Z. As it would be with any car!

Suggesting that the interior is @*!# as well is just laughable. Maybe Im being harsh, but it just sounds like some 350 owners are trying to massage their own egos by convincing themselves that the newer model is @*!#, or has faults, not worth it etc. It's life guys. Something newer/better/faster, will always come out. There's no shame!

It's funny. I've seen it with every car I've ever owned and plenty of others too, and it's always interesting to note that an unbiased viewpoint almost always votes in favour of the new model. I wonder why :)

No jealousy here mate. I've done the 350 thing twice and looked at the 370, TT and Z4 in the summer with a view to leasing. I never got round to driving the 370 and can only go on what I have read in the likes of EVO etc. but I can certainly confirm that the Nissan is still way behind the Germans in terms of style and perceived quality of materials on the inside. Styling will always be subjective.

My current car costs twice the price of a 370Z (not bragging but the issue of jealousy has been raised) and I haven't owned a 350Z for 12 months now so I think I am suitably impartial and not looking all green-eyed at those "lucky" 370Z owners.

The logic is you're comparing second hand to new. Then in the same post referring to a 15k difference. Which isn't fair or logical, considering one is new and one isn't.

When you're comparing 350s do you compare a 03 to and 05 and say well. Unlcuky, Pal. You just bought an 05 350z for 7k more than my 03 is worth. When there's zero difference between them.

Except for the fact that we live in the real world where a nearly new 350Z costs far less than a new or nearly new 370Z, making it a completely fair point to make. I don't remember the OP stipulating that peoples responses could only be based on a notional universe where the two cars cost the same.

No jealousy here mate. I've done the 350 thing twice and looked at the 370, TT and Z4 in the summer with a view to leasing. I never got round to driving the 370 and can only go on what I have read in the likes of EVO etc. but I can certainly confirm that the Nissan is still way behind the Germans in terms of style and perceived quality of materials on the inside. Styling will always be subjective.

My current car costs twice the price of a 370Z (not bragging but the issue of jealousy has been raised) and I haven't owned a 350Z for 12 months now so I think I am suitably impartial and not looking all green-eyed at those "lucky" 370Z owners.

Good input Kev946! :thumbs:

:lol::lol::lol:

You guys crack me up :lol:

In la la land where the 350z and 370z are the same price, no 2 ways about it you would have a 370z. Back in the real world where you can have a 350z nearly new quite considerably less than a 370z, you will be hard pushed to justify a 370z, but I think the case can be made. Now, agreed, its not a Cayman S, but its also about £15k less than a Cayman S! Second hand Cayman S teritory, yes, you could even get a second hand Cayman S and turbo it for the price of a 370z new if you picked one old enough. Theres just too many option to look at it logically. Buying a car is emotional, thats how you decide. I cant justify stepping up to a Cayman S or BMW as they are just too expensive for what they are, whereas I can justify upgrading to a 370z which has 50HP more than my Zed (70HP if you factor in an intake and exhaust - not inc a remap), has a much much nicer interior and drives much more like a Cayman - albeit losing some of the fun of the brutishness of the 350z. Plus you can have a decent auto option.

This arguement will just run forever, and you wont ever reach an answer as its all based on opinion. ;)

Are those figures for the 20bhp increase on the 370 accurate and confirmed? Because that sounds great, and certainly gives it a meaningful boost.

Check out the US forums. They are quoting numbers of 17-20HP for the intake, dyno proven. As per usual, take it all with a pinch of salt, but from what I have seen, the stock car runs very rich over there, so whereas on our 350z's the mods run it lean with only a little increase in power, these bring the 370z into good AFR zones and make it run very nicely with consistent power. Should be noted that this is with the Stillen Gen 3, which is quite expensive and puts the filters out of the engine bay but high up in the bumper, so away from puddles. Does require the bumper to be removed to clean the filters though, but its meant to be easy :)

slightly off topic, but reading that says that modding the 350 makes the car run more lean. for me its not a major issue as i plan to get it remapped in the new year which would correct this and bring the AFR back into better territory.

what i'm interested to know is, would running mods over a prolonged time without a remap and the car being lean cause damamge. or does the ECU keep the car within safe perameters?

What an ill informed post.

Trust me, I'm not jealous of a 370z ;)

The point about the extra £15k is, is it £15k better than a 350z? No, no its not.

I think you'll find that the two people who have slated the interior are not 350z owners, so have no reason to be biased ;);)

Don't understand the logic of your statement "The point about the extra £15k is, is it £15k better than a 350z? No, no its not." when the 370 retails at the same price as the 350 did. The question surely is whether if offered a brand new 370 or a brand new 350 which would you chose.

Your missing the point entirely. For example; Mr X has a 350z worth £15k. He considers upgrading to a 370z. The cost to do so is his 350z plus £15k. Now, are the differences between the two cars significant enough to warrant shelling out £15k extra ontop of his 350z? In my opinion no. That opinion must be shared by others on here because there has hardly been a deluge of 350z owners upgrading to the 370z. Infact I can only think of two, all the others were non 350z owners prior to buying the 370z :)

You can get a Cayman S with 20K miles for the same price as a new 370Z. One of those is the class leader and won't drop £10K in the first year of ownership, has a beautifully crafted interior, and has the engine in the right place. The other one is a Nissan.

Given that running costs will be approximately equal, I know which I'd rather have. If only the Boxster looked quite as good as the Cayman then I'd have had one of those over the 350Z, too. And regardless of jealousy, the interior on the 370Z is still very poor for what the car represents, it's just not as bad an original 350Z.

Your missing the point entirely. For example; Mr X has a 350z worth £15k. He considers upgrading to a 370z. The cost to do so is his 350z plus £15k. Now, are the differences between the two cars significant enough to warrant shelling out £15k extra ontop of his 350z? In my opinion no. That opinion must be shared by others on here because there has hardly been a deluge of 350z owners upgrading to the 370z. Infact I can only think of two, all the others were non 350z owners prior to buying the 370z :)

Ahh, but the point you missing is when Mr X trades in his 370Z in a couple of years time to buy his Lambo ;) he will recoup much of that £15k. Yes, I realise that newer cars depreciate £ for £ more than older cars but its not just £15k down the drain that cannot be recouped.

So if it boils down to losing an extra £3-£4k in real terms but you get to spank around in a 370Z for a couple of years it suddenly becomes a much tougher decision, for me anyway.

Ahh, but the point you missing is when Mr X trades in his 370Z in a couple of years time to buy his Lambo ;) he will recoup much of that £15k. Yes, I realise that newer cars depreciate £ for £ more than older cars but its not just £15k down the drain that cannot be recouped.

So if it boils down to losing an extra £3-£4k in real terms but you get to spank around in a 370Z for a couple of years it suddenly becomes a much tougher decision, for me anyway.

What you really dont want to see is how much you then lose when you chop in your Lambo for a family car :scare::headhurt:

Your deluded if you think a 370z will only lose £4k in that time frame. There are already cars out there for £26k. In three years time the 370z will be in the £15k car bracket and that 'extra' £15k has disappeared ;)

There are already cars out there for £26k

Do let me know where they are hiding ;) There arent any on PH that I can see (although 370z isnt an option in their list) and on autotrader they seem to start at £27.5k for a GT without Nav.

I agree it will depreciate far more than £4k in two years, more like £10k I would say if the market is stable and no more freefall that we saw on the 350z's.

Do let me know where they are hiding ;) There arent any on PH that I can see (although 370z isnt an option in their list) and on autotrader they seem to start at £27.5k for a GT without Nav.

I agree it will depreciate far more than £4k in two years, more like £10k I would say if the market is stable and no more freefall that we saw on the 350z's.

And that £27.5k one is a main dealer ;) They are out there. The 370z, as with most cars, will be doing well to be worth more than 50% of its new price when its three years old. :)

And that £27.5k one is a main dealer ;) They are out there. The 370z, as with most cars, will be doing well to be worth more than 50% of its new price when its three years old. :)

Just a shame I dont like the blue :shrug::doh:

I think if you look around on Z club this discussion has been mirrored every time the zed models come out.

Yup, I saw a review on youtube of a 300ZX vs 350z vs 370z and one of the guys said he prefers the 300ZX the most! I guess the biggest difference here that Sarnie and Digsy are trying to point out is that the change isnt all that much. I think for a newer model 350z that is true, but for an original like mine, there is a world of difference between them. Whether its worth the extra £20k to get, its up to the buyer. ;)