350z or 370z

Laponator

Your missing the point entirely. For example; Mr X has a 350z worth £15k. He considers upgrading to a 370z. The cost to do so is his 350z plus £15k. Now, are the differences between the two cars significant enough to warrant shelling out £15k extra ontop of his 350z? In my opinion no. That opinion must be shared by others on here because there has hardly been a deluge of 350z owners upgrading to the 370z. Infact I can only think of two, all the others were non 350z owners prior to buying the 370z :)

Ahh, but the point you missing is when Mr X trades in his 370Z in a couple of years time to buy his Lambo ;) he will recoup much of that £15k. Yes, I realise that newer cars depreciate £ for £ more than older cars but its not just £15k down the drain that cannot be recouped.

So if it boils down to losing an extra £3-£4k in real terms but you get to spank around in a 370Z for a couple of years it suddenly becomes a much tougher decision, for me anyway.

Your deluded if you think a 370z will only lose £4k in that time frame. There are already cars out there for £26k. In three years time the 370z will be in the £15k car bracket and that 'extra' £15k has disappeared ;)

Ummm, I never said the 370Z will only lost £3-4k in 2 years, I said it will lose an extra £3-4k more than a 350Z would lose over the same time period.

To my Economist brain that is essentially the opportunity cost of trading up to a 370Z.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No jelousy here, the point is, if you currently have a 350z worth around £14-15K then in my eyes its not a big enough jump or difference to warrent the extra cash. However if I were in the market for a brand new car and had a budget of £30K to either buy a late 350z or a new 370z then I would definatly go for the 370. However im not in that position but when it comes for me to upgrade it will be a GTR and not a 370z i go for.

R

I would have thought that the vast majority of owners who use this forum bought their ZEDs with a desire to have a great driver's car at a relatively affordable price. For some the finance side is more critical than for others and sometimes the passion has to be sacrificed, if only for a period until circumstances allow the choice again.

Having driven the 370 on track on the limit and auto and manual versions on the road if it is still very much a driver's car. I can understand the doubts about whether the changes are worth it, and yes its looks are questionable, but then we are comparing it with the classic 350 shape and that is a hard act to follow. The fact the exhaust is so tame dosen't help :dry: .

If I had the choice I would love to own one of the early 350's and mod it but those days are gone :wheelchair: (as Sarnie likes to regularly remind us of my advancing years :blush:) but more the point is that I do not have a garage. So these days I look at owning a car that is covered by warranty so I only have the running costs to think about. Fortunately my current 3 year old ZED has been completly trouble free and it sailed through its MOT. But that does not stop me being concerned now about wear and tear that might now mean big garage bills cropping up and its the hassle that's often involved as we have seen so many times on here.

When I upgraded from a June 2004 Zed to the December 2006 ZED I had to shell out about 13k and that is the sort of money I would have to part with again for a s/h 370 - and another 4-5 grand or more on top for a new one. Is it worth it - probably not but then I don't think what my wife's replacement jewelry and handbags are worth it - but if that's what she enjoys and while we can afford it that's her choice, like my car is mine. It won't be long before I retire and these luxurys are no more but I am damed if she and I are going to miss out while we still can afford them.

Whilst I could look at a Cayman etc, it may be sad but I thoroughly enjoy the community on here, (even with the stick Sarnie and Beavis give me :boxing: ), and I don't think that would be the same on Porsche/Audi forums. So yes, I would fork out for a 370 even though it might cost me and it may have some downsides. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal circumstances and choice and what value we place on things we enjoy.

I would have thought that the vast majority of owners who use this forum bought their ZEDs with a desire to have a great driver's car at a relatively affordable price. For some the finance side is more critical than for others and sometimes the passion has to be sacrificed, if only for a period until circumstances allow the choice again.

Having driven the 370 on track on the limit and auto and manual versions on the road if it is still very much a driver's car. I can understand the doubts about whether the changes are worth it, and yes its looks are questionable, but then we are comparing it with the classic 350 shape and that is a hard act to follow. The fact the exhaust is so tame dosen't help :dry: .

If I had the choice I would love to own one of the early 350's and mod it but those days are gone :wheelchair: (as Sarnie likes to regularly remind us of my advancing years :blush:) but more the point is that I do not have a garage. So these days I look at owning a car that is covered by warranty so I only have the running costs to think about. Fortunately my current 3 year old ZED has been completly trouble free and it sailed through its MOT. But that does not stop me being concerned now about wear and tear that might now mean big garage bills cropping up and its the hassle that's often involved as we have seen so many times on here.

When I upgraded from a June 2004 Zed to the December 2006 ZED I had to shell out about 13k and that is the sort of money I would have to part with again for a s/h 370 - and another 4-5 grand or more on top for a new one. Is it worth it - probably not but then I don't think what my wife's replacement jewelry and handbags are worth it - but if that's what she enjoys and while we can afford it that's her choice, like my car is mine. It won't be long before I retire and these luxurys are no more but I am damed if she and I are going to miss out while we still can afford them.

Whilst I could look at a Cayman etc, it may be sad but I thoroughly enjoy the community on here, (even with the stick Sarnie and Beavis give me :boxing: ), and I don't think that would be the same on Porsche/Audi forums. So yes, I would fork out for a 370 even though it might cost me and it may have some downsides. At the end of the day it all comes down to personal circumstances and choice and what value we place on things we enjoy.

So just buy an extended warranty, keep the zed, stay on the forum and keep a load of cash in the bank ;)

I have to agree with Chris on this one!

I upgraded from a (55) 350 to a 370 and there is a huge difference between the 2!

Im probably not one of the 2 peiople that have upgraded from a 350 to a 370 that someone mentioned in an earlier post, so that makes 3 doesn't it! :lol:

350 or 370, personal opinion I suppose, I know I certainly wouldn't agree that the 350 looks better than the 370 (unless you are stevie wonder that is!)...for what it's worth everybody that has seen my 370 over my 350 have much much prefered the styling of the 370..are they just being nice?, I dont know but I can only say what people have said to me, generally they comment that it's a lot more muscular looking, the interior is a million times better than the 350, the ride on long journeys is a lot smoother (for those who have been in the car with me!), and perfomance versus a 55 plate 350 is very noticable.

Call me biased maybe, but there does seem to be quite a bit on anti 370 vitriol on this site, jealously or not I dont know, but for all the GTR love in, I dont actually like the looks of the GTR at all, but would I want one...for performance Yes, looks No..Am I jealous of people who have one...hell yes!

I to suspect a hint ofjealously in some of the anti 370 posts too!

dont shoot me, only my opinion.

I'd defo buy the same brand again, i have in the past and I'm hoping to do so again in the future. I saw a 370z last week and thought it looked like a fat capri. Too short at the back and a longer bonnet. Not for me. For me, Nissan needed to step the power up a fair bit. A 370z still doesn't have as much BHP as a 7 yr old M3. They should have made it at least 350 bhp to make the jump worthwhile for 350z owners..............

You know what they will do with the 370z Sarnie - the same as they did with the 350z - tweak the car every year or so and add 10-15bhp each time they do it :)

I'd defo buy the same brand again, i have in the past and I'm hoping to do so again in the future. I saw a 370z last week and thought it looked like a fat capri. Too short at the back and a longer bonnet. Not for me. For me, Nissan needed to step the power up a fair bit. A 370z still doesn't have as much BHP as a 7 yr old M3. They should have made it at least 350 bhp to make the jump worthwhile for 350z owners..............

+ 1000000000000000000 and more!!!!

But i like capris......in fact i quite like the looks of the 370...and the nismo 370 is even better... :cloud9:

but if i part ex my 08 roadster i need another 16k for a new 370 roadster top spec like the one i v got now... same money and i can make the one i v got now a nismo f/a one with more than 400bhp plus set up for track days (the whole thing in progress anyway)...as for the interior in a couple of years the 370 interior will be dated as well...thats always the case with the jap cars!!!

So i have to agree with sarnie...the new 370 should have been more different...and with 350bhp at least! then they would get more of us out of our 350s...

the 370 will attract more attention next to a 350 true...and it may be more comfortable on long journeys...and it has got a better interior...but all these are wrong reasons to buy a Zed!!!

Fun, driving pleasure, track days, driving involvement/experience, anti social behavior, eating germans for breakfast....thats what the Zed is about...and thats what the 370 should be doing better than the 350....

unfortunately nissan missed the point....but i am sure that in the next few years they ll come up with revised versions....

till then i will be staring at the 370...and then drift around it....and go kill some m3s on the track... ;):teeth:

I have to agree with Chris on this one!

I upgraded from a (55) 350 to a 370 and there is a huge difference between the 2!

Im probably not one of the 2 peiople that have upgraded from a 350 to a 370 that someone mentioned in an earlier post, so that makes 3 doesn't it! :lol:

350 or 370, personal opinion I suppose, I know I certainly wouldn't agree that the 350 looks better than the 370 (unless you are stevie wonder that is!)...for what it's worth everybody that has seen my 370 over my 350 have much much prefered the styling of the 370..are they just being nice?, I dont know but I can only say what people have said to me, generally they comment that it's a lot more muscular looking, the interior is a million times better than the 350, the ride on long journeys is a lot smoother (for those who have been in the car with me!), and perfomance versus a 55 plate 350 is very noticable.

Call me biased maybe, but there does seem to be quite a bit on anti 370 vitriol on this site, jealously or not I dont know, but for all the GTR love in, I dont actually like the looks of the GTR at all, but would I want one...for performance Yes, looks No..Am I jealous of people who have one...hell yes!

I to suspect a hint ofjealously in some of the anti 370 posts too!

dont shoot me, only my opinion.

The jealousy thing is just nonsense. Personally my earlier post wasn't anti 370 as I'm sure it's a great car and for someone with £30k in their pocket looking for this type of car there are probably very few better alternatives and given the choice of buying a brand new 350 or 370 for the same money I would probably go for the 370 as well.

I could go out and buy one tomorrow , I could go out and buy two tomorrow or sell a couple of my properties and buy half a dozen of them if I wanted to so it's not a case of being jealous because it's something I can't have or aspire to ;)

I just don't think that there is enough of a difference between the 350 & 370 to justify spending the £16k/£17k + my 350 to get one.

That said, I haven't driven one so maybe if I did I would feel differently :)

And when you have, I bet you will change your mind - as i did. ;)

It would be interesting to see if anyone has done a back-to-back test by putting a standard 370 against a standard 350 (any of the 3 engine sizes) round a track by the same driver to see how they compare. I know what my money would be on.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has done a back-to-back test by putting a standard 370 against a standard 350 (any of the 3 engine sizes) round a track by the same driver to see how they compare. I know what my money would be on.

Nobody is disputing that the 370z is the better car. It should be, being the latest car. The point being made is that its not a big enough step up from the 350z to warrant the £15k+ you'd need. IMO, 350z owners should have been the hardcore customers that Nissan targetted.

Another thing that would put me off is Nissan's insistence on bring out facelift versions almost annually. How long before they bring out a new version with an extra 15bhp. When you buy a new car I'd want it to remain the most current version for at least 2/3 yrs. The facelift version they will bring out inevitibly next year or the year after, is the car they should have released initially.

The 350z was never an out-and-out sports car and was more of a GT. People saying how great the interior of the 370z is and how comfy it is on long journeys shows tht the 370z has veered even further away from being a sports car imo......

Nobody is disputing that the 370z is the better car. It should be, being the latest car. The point being made is that its not a big enough step up from the 350z to warrant the £15k+ you'd need. IMO, 350z owners should have been the hardcore customers that Nissan targetted.

Another thing that would put me off is Nissan's insistence on bring out facelift versions almost annually. How long before they bring out a new version with an extra 15bhp. When you buy a new car I'd want it to remain the most current version for at least 2/3 yrs. The facelift version they will bring out inevitibly next year or the year after, is the car they should have released initially.

The 350z was never an out-and-out sports car and was more of a GT. People saying how great the interior of the 370z is and how comfy it is on long journeys shows tht the 370z has veered even further away from being a sports car imo......

Again, that shows you havent driven one. All the feedback I have had from people that have driven them in anger state that they are way better than a 350z in both handling and interior. Why cant you have a better sports car with a better interior? Ferrari manage to pull it off, so why cant Nissan make it a better on both counts? We're not saying its fat american type interior, its leagues apart from say the G37 (which I have also driven). The G37 is much more a comfy, loft about, type car where luxury is key over out and out performance. The 370z is a lot more sporty, but its no Caterham! There is a lot of area to work in with a sports GT car.

Before I drove one, I had the same oppinion as most on here (as Colin did) and didnt think it was worth it. Now I am looking for a new car, I will quite happily pay the £20k I need to make it up to a new 370z. The changes are more than worth it, plus mine will likely need more maintainance as it gets older with more expensive parts needing to be replaced. On paper this makes no sense at all, but buying a car is an emotional thing, and thats what drives it at the end of the day. What is worth a £15k upgrade to some, isnt to others, and we will never agree on it. Logically, no one should ever buy a Lambo, as they are not 3x better than a 370z to warrent 3x the price IMO ;)

I'll get to experience back to back driving in some anger on Saturday, when I get to take a 370z MT6 out on my fav local road and then again with my 350z straight after. Then I will see how much better the handling really is in real life. :drive1