Be careful where you park

M13KYF

Published: 8:00AM GMT 23 Nov 2009

(from the telegraph)

Police blow up sports car

A sports car which had been illegally parked near Downing Street was blown up by police.

Michael Raphel, 28, left his £18,000 red Honda Civic Type R on double yellow lines less than a quarter of a mile from Number 10.

But, fearing a potential terrorist attack, the Metropolitan Police carried out two controlled explosions after CCTV footage showed him running from the parked vehicle.

The force of the blast blew the doors off and smashed the windows, leaving the car wrecked.

Officers took the action at 10pm on November 7 - the day before a Remembrance Sunday Parade was due to take place - due to the 'sensitivity' of the area.

Mr Raphel, from Headington, Oxford, who was visiting London to celebrate a friend's birthday, said on Sunday he returned at 2am to find his burnt out car surrounded by anti-terrorism police.

He said: ''They said I had parked in a sensitive area, just around the corner from Number 10 Downing Street, and close to the Ministry of Defence.

''They explained that because I was seen running from the car, and because of the parades the next day, it had heightened their suspicions.

''When I got back to the car, the driver and passenger windows had been blown out and the bonnet and boot had come open with the force.

''We have laughed about it a bit now but I'm bit gutted to be honest.

''I know in this day and age they have to be suspicious but I didn't feel this was warranted.

''I wasn't treated badly, but they could've been a bit more tactful.

''The car was registered to me, I'm sure there are ways they could have contacted me if they had really tried to.''

The Metropolitan Police confirmed they carried out two controlled explosions on a vehicle parked in Horse Guard Avenue, Westminster at 10pm on November 7 but refused to comment further.

Mr Raphel, who owns a men's designer clothing store, said he would be seeking compensation from the police and an apology.

But a spokesman for insurance price comparison website confused.com said it is unlikely he will receive a payout for his car as he parked illegally.

does parking illegally void insurance????? So would the same apply if something else had happened to it while parked there? Numpty yes, but should the police pay do you think?

Yea im afraid it does, and i know a few legislation was passed a few years back that now means police have limited liability when it comes to terrorism. Im all for it to be honest, if he wants to park on double yellows next to sensitive areas with all the bombings and attacks that are going on at the moment then he cant complain with the consequences.

its an easy one, should park on double yellows.

its the same as someone complaining they got clamped when parking in a clamping zone with out a permit. you get caught you take your punishment.

i did when i got done for speeding 6 years ago. yes i was pi**ed i got stopped and the fine, but the only person to blame was me.

Guys i think you are a bit harsh.... receive a ticket yes... a load of bollocking from the coppers yes... but blow the car up???

As if they couldnt ring or contact him first...

And then again if they made a mistake so did he...why does he have to pay and not them?

if parking on double yellows and running out of the car leads to this then what should they do to all the yobs that get drunk and destroy cars and shops...thieves that break into our homes...drug dealers etc???

all this anti terrorist culture has led to so many wars...and i am sure there is lots of us out there that at some point and for whatever reason have broken the law...

I suggest we all die! :thumbdown:

I don't like the Honda Civic.

Or the colour Red.

Or London.

What did he expect. :lol:

Double Yellows, they are there for a reason (eg Emergency Vehicle acess).

I've had a few parking tickets over the years, and I have learned that lesson, suppose £30 is better than £18k though.

Bummer for anyone expecting a Christmas present off this guy :teeth:

Was reading on the Civic owners website. On another site there is a picture of the gentleman, who is Asian and as the police said he ran from the vehicle... well there was hell on over there! :lol:

My girlfriend's (cant use the proper term on the site loool) house is on a main road and i park outside every so often...half of the car on the single yellow and half on the double yellows...sometimes all of it on the double yellows...but its just outside the bay window!!! No way am i parking anywhere else overnight!!!!! :angry:

Good job i dont look asian then!!! :lol:

Still i am always thinking of the car so i last longer!!!! ;)

So we are both happy! :lol::lol::lol:

thats racial profiling for you :lol: don't agree with it, but it was a high sensitivity area.

Dude it affects me as much as every other non blonde pale face with a beer belly... ;)

Have you seen me in the middle of the night in thick woolen jumper, leather jacket and unshaven???

Enough to get shot in advance if in a high sensitivity area!!! :lol::lol::lol:

ps i never reply from a distance to a copper cos my accent makes it even more dangerous...lmao

Nixy....who said i am not romantic??? I always cuddle my car, kiss it, speak to it sweet nothings....and there is always foreplay (warm up) before the main session!!!! :p:lol::lol::lol:

Nixy....who said i am not romantic??? I always cuddle my car, kiss it, speak to it sweet nothings....and there is always foreplay (warm up) before the main session!!!! :p:lol::lol::lol:

Same kind of action i get most nights in the privacy of my garage! :lol:

Same kind of action i get most nights in the privacy of my garage! :lol:

I love voyeurism.... lmfao!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Why does Michael Caine in the Italian Job spring to mind for me....

The guy was a douche (as stated above) for parking in a stupid place however if the terrorist police hadn't done it and the worst happened..... I'm sure the decision wasn't taken lightly.

Sorry but I agree he is a total spanner for parking on double yellows anyway but to be near Downing Street - what the hell was he thinking! :shrug:

Bit harsh blowing the car up but imagine if it was a bomb we would be writing a different story here would'nt we?

So tough .....start saving for a new Honda you muppet! :blink:

thats racial profiling for you :lol: don't agree with it, but it was a high sensitivity area.

Dude it affects me as much as every other non blonde pale face with a beer belly... ;)

Have you seen me in the middle of the night in thick woolen jumper, leather jacket and unshaven???

Enough to get shot in advance if in a high sensitivity area!!! :lol::lol::lol:

ps i never reply from a distance to a copper cos my accent makes it even more dangerous...lmao

I've been to work dressed like this

10-10-07_1941.jpg

If they expect it, then I wont disappoint them.

But saying that, I got a co-worker that could be a prime suspect for terrorist activities...

port001.jpg