Windows 7

Jammy007

If I purchase a desktop which is supplied Windows Vista 32-bit but it has an offer on for a free upgrade to Windows 7. Can you install Windows 7 64-bit onto the machine via this upgrade disk that is sent out by Microsoft.

Don't want to purchase the system if it required me purchasing another windows 7 retail OS.

Does that make sense?

Who's the best people to speak to regarding which version of the disk they ship out?

Currys (I promise the Dell system is cheap and is actually alot cheaper than from Dell itself) just said that they don't see why it wouldn't be 64-bit. So basically fobbed me off. Dell said they can't help as I'm not purchasing it from them. Is there a contact for microsoft?

I'm assuming I'll only need the product key for windows, so in the future (when I upgrade the ram to over 4gb) can I just get my hands on a "friends" version of Windows 7 - 64 bit and put my product key in?

W7 is just much slicker than Vista - Can you upgrade - yes. I did it on my office PC but it took ages and IMO did not run as good as it then ran once I did a compete fresh install.

RE the free upgrade. The only place that will give you a proper answer is one of the companies who do the offer. The shop staff will not know as they won't deal with any of it, its all done direct to the consumer.

I heard that you had to upgrade using the install disks they gave rather than fresh install BUT i bet if you got hold of a another full CD you could use your key to do a clean install too i.e. they keys are not upgrade/clean aware, only OEM aware etc.

If it’s worth anything, I’ve been using windows 7 since they released the beta version at the beginning of the year.

Upgraded now to the full version and I've had no problems with it.

I would recommend a fresh install. You don't want anything to do with vista being left behind. Plus you won't have half that stuff that "bloats" your machine such as toolbars, shareware and freeware software.

Thanks everyone. Still seems to be a bit of a grey area searching online.

I do agree with you though Rob. I'm sure the key will activate a clean install of someone elses software. All you pay for really is the key after all. The software can be picked up in many places

so would i need to save all software etc to an external divice, then wipe the harddrive and install W7

No, but really everyone should have a backup hard disk somewhere on their setup, memory is p*ss-cheap these days.

If you do a clean install (as opposed to an upgrade) Win7 is still nice enough to leave all your old files in one big file called windows.old after the install. That way you can hop in, dig out all your pr0n and put it wherever you want to on your Win7 install. I certainly didn't expect it to do that so I did do a major backup before the install (and tbh it's what everyone should do just in case) but it was a nice surprise to find regardless.

• 4 weeks later...
I have just upgraded from Vista to windows 7. What a relief, Vista was driving me nuts. & is much better, much quicker and much more user friendly.

Its very simple to upgrade and you lose nothing. It takes about 4 hours and involves a few prompt clicks. :)

And a quick change of resolution eh bud ;):ninja: