Buying Advice - LCD TV

From A to Zed

Hi guys,

Does anyone here know much about audio-visual stuff? I'm all at sea when it comes to such things!!

Basically I am after a new TV for standard TV and DVD use; I don't own a games consol and don't intend to buy one in the future. I don't tend to watch much TV but I do enjoy my sports and I like to watch the odd movie. I ‘think’ the refresh rate is pretty important as I want to avoid that nasty juddering you see when Lewis Hamilton speeds past or England hit a crisp 4 off the bat. I realise the latter example is becoming a rarity but I like to enjoy it all the same!

The TV would be connected to sky non HD and a Sony DVD player via HDMI.

In summary I am looking to spend about 500-600 on a 32/37/40 inch screen size. I'm not too fussed about the brand, an LG or Samsung will be fine if the features/spec justify the choice but no silly brands you’ve never heard off.

Oh, and what is the importance of the '1080' number or the 100 Hz number?

Cheers all,

Matt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly would buy an HD TV just to future proof yourself.

I picked up a 40" Samsung (brilliant screens by the way) in the summer for under £600 from Costco and it's a great unit.

I have 5 x 52" Sharps in my office that have been on 24/7 for a year and they are going strong. Decent enough screens too!

I have two panasonics that are 5 years old (26" LCD) and both are still perfect.

Go into a shop and get what you think looks good! It's the easiest way as getting too caught up in specs will confuse you!

one thing I would add (and I'll probably get flamed for this) is don't just buy the biggest one you can afford. It seems to be the done thing to get the biggest TV possible, but they often don't suit the room and picture quality suffers close up if you don't go HD. Make sure in the shop you look at them from about the distance you will at home, the further away you are the better the picture looks...

Glad you are not looking to buy a Plasma TV. It is technology that was used as a stopgap while big LCD TV were being developed. How long the display lasts is questionable, and despite being CE marked the majority cause chronic radio interference.

Recently brought a Sony Bravia 37" LCD which is great and has lots of inputs.

S.

one thing I would add (and I'll probably get flamed for this) is don't just buy the biggest one you can afford. It seems to be the done thing to get the biggest TV possible, but they often don't suit the room and picture quality suffers close up if you don't go HD. Make sure in the shop you look at them from about the distance you will at home, the further away you are the better the picture looks...

Yep, got to concur there... There are 2 things you need to look at when judging size.. one is the distance to the wall from the main seat... Men see a far narrower area too than women.. women work in widescreen... (Goes back to cave men times.. Men see in a focused small area from when hunting.. women see in a wider arc from when looking out and protecting)

Next thing is hight from the ground, we all see and focus through the bottom 1/2 of your eyes so when you are sitting and relaxed pick a point on the wall level with where your eyes are, roughly the top 1/4 of the telly should sit above that line with the other 3/4 should sit below.. this will stop neck ache and reduce eye strain.

Also, its worth sticking some cold cathode tubes behind the screen that come on with the telly (kits are available) this will reduce eye strain as your eyes arnt strictly focused just in one place..

Like this

60inviziobacklitesmall.jpg

get a plasma, far better quality. Their are still some 37" panasonic ones around, but they have now stopped making them. We got another one at work this week. All our suites are kitted out with plasmas.

+1 Got a 42" Panasonic Plasma great bot of kit. :)

we got a sony bravia a couple of years ogo, think its a 41" excellent quality screen. we walked around and looked at the poictures on the screen, all were playing the same DVD and you were able to compare the picture quality.

sony make good screens, noty the most aesthetically pleasing, but quality seems good.

if i remember rightly over a certain size and all the screens are made by LG (i think) or it was a while ago, as they were the only ones able to do it on a large size screen so were manufacturing for all the other manufactures. may not be the case now.

get a plasma, far better quality. Their are still some 37" panasonic ones around, but they have now stopped making them. We got another one at work this week. All our suites are kitted out with plasmas.

+1 Got a 42" Panasonic Plasma great bot of kit. :)

Am normally a total Sonyphile, but got to admit panasonic LCD and Plasmas are great :thumbs: esp the 42" lcd monitor I picked up for £130 off ebay!!

remember places like John Lewis do 5 year cover on all tv.s Well worth considering if you see how much places charge for this.

Cheers Mike, that's a really good point. At lot of stores charge between 6-8 pounds per month...

That's why I use Costco, great prices and brilliant warranty cover! I also get the advice of an ex Zed owner ;)

John Lewis is equally as good for the warranty.