I've had enough...*CAUTION HIGHLY PERSONAL RANT*

BulletMagnet

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent laughed so much in ages than at reading this thread :lol:

I for one buy on reputation and quality, not on name. I have a Nismo gear knob and the top "metal" isnt metal at all and the covering is wearing off. Now we know one of our members does a "rip off" of it, but its made in solid metal and cheaper to boot. Now which one would you go for? If you vote Nismo, then you are a brand whore (just like I was at the time) and thats your porogative. I for one wouldnt get another Nismo knob. :dry:

Bugger me, you do talk sense sometimes mate ;)

Totally do agree with you about this where something is being made to a higher quality than the original. If you take an item that is good and then make it better then thats a bonus.. if the price is better then an even bigger bonus... Its also not professing to be something its not as it dosnt have Nismo written up the side and is it sold as a nismo "replica"? If you get a knob of the same "style" and then shamfer the edge so it is more suited to RHD then thats product development... As we all know, Nismo make very few of their own parts, they take other high quality parts and then "brand" them but you still know your buying a quality part (sometimes!)

If you knob is wearing and the cover is coming off, maybe you should stop holding it soo much :p

With regards to people copying parts then the people that stay selling them will be the one that give the best service, but also buy (or get made) at the best price and have the most backing to operate at the lowest operating margins... Ricki at Equibs seems to be a prime example of this..

Am waiting now for Jay to rock a Failside Aston kit, with Fismo alloys and Fecaro seats.... Now we just know that aint gonna happen!! :)

Bugger me, you do talk sense sometimes mate ;)

I know, doesnt happen too often these days :blush:

If you knob is wearing and the cover is coming off, maybe you should stop holding it soo much :p

Thats the problem with driving 75 miles a day with a lightweight flywheel. Cant trundle at low revs any more or you sound like a cement mixer, so have to keep it on the revs at all times which means lots of gear changes :drive1

Am waiting now for Jay to rock a Failside Aston kit, with Fismo alloys and Fecaro seats.... Now we just know that aint gonna happen!! :)

He better not go doing that to my car to be :ninja::teeth: I think I might just get a 370z and leave it stock B)

I don't have any replica parts but can understand why some members buy them mainly down to cost. There will always be someone making them and sometimes that is the gamble you take if the quality isn't up to scratch. On some occasions it is though.

Ricki at Equibs no longer trades now does he?

Its been about 2 years since his website went down :)

I know. I got my gear knob from him. Had a pm a year back asking where i got if from but sadly euiibs was no more. Seem tyo remember a posting up on the US sites about it

Ricki at Equibs no longer trades now does he?

Its been about 2 years since his website went down :)

I know. I got my gear knob from him. Had a pm a year back asking where i got if from but sadly euiibs was no more. Seem tyo remember a posting up on the US sites about it

Yeh there was... seem to remember it was about service and dealing with an issues and he didnt fair well... may be wrong adn am thinking about someone else...

I dont think theres an issue with people selling replica's also as they are stated as replica's, and people know what they are buying and know there is a high chance of bad fitment/quality (not saying all replica's are like this, but its just common knowledge)

Most people can spot a replica or a genuine part instantly anyway if they are interested in said part.

What really gets to me is the people who buy fakes, but say they are real. And even more annoying people selling their car and lying about the prts being real. For example ive seen 2 z's on pistonheads recently advertising real veilside kits, when you can spot a mile off that they are copies. Nothing wrong with a copied kit, but its not the same, looks slightly different, and not fair to advertise as genuine when clearly not.

Some people can be duped (yes it has been done) but people saying they are getting (and showing them) a real kit and then putting on a fake and doing a pretty good job of the fitting.... Its down to using good refered suppliers/fitters and doing your homework!

This has been a really interesting thread whether it was meant to spark this debate or not. I am currently having a replica kit fitted to my car so that instantly says where I stand on this arguement, although I won't have any issues with saying its a replica kit. I will buy genuine on some parts but replica on other, it all depends on the risk I am willing to take. My priorities are paying for 2 mortgages so where I can save money on car parts is all good for me. If I didn't have those to pay I could probably safely say I wouldn't be driving a Zed and have something a lot more expensive!!

At the end of the day it will always be down to the person and I think the market will always be balanced due to the fact that for every person that will only buy replica (due to price or circumstance) there are always people out there that will only buy genuine products (as seen in this thread). So the people who are designing and spending the money in creating products will make their money from the people willing to only buy genuine parts and the rest will make their money from people who are willing to buy replica. The world is obviously big enough to support both sides of this arguement otherwise the debate wouldn't have even been started as only one or the other would be able to survive in the market.

I would never buy a fake anything. :)

I'm a self confessed brand snob.

I'd rather have a £30 casio watch than a £30 fake Rolex. I flatly refuse to buy/download pirate films etc out of principle, but that principle is based more around that when I watch the film I wanna watch it on my TV not my computer and in all the glory it was intended to be seen in.

I wouldn't even buy Falken/Toyo tyres as I percieve them to be cheap and therefore lower quality, irrespective of what any reviews about them say, MPS or Pirelli for me.

Saying that, i have no problem with fakes at all, nor with the people who sell them or buy them. I have no superiority complex about them or the goods, I just wouldn't buy them myself.

I'd rather have a £30 casio watch than a £30 fake Rolex. I flatly refuse to buy/download pirate films etc out of principle, but that principle is based more around that when I watch the film I wanna watch it on my TV not my computer and in all the glory it was intended to be seen in.

I agree with both of these. I like watches so would not buy a copy as they ARE generally rubbish. I don't have any copied movies as I have a decent Samsung LCD, good Harmon Kardon Separates and quality Monitor Audio speakers. Why would I watch a copied film after spending a bit of cash on that lot? Makes no sense......

I think though that a lot of us are on the same page here though. We like quality.

I think when we start to go down the route of comparing copies of bodykits to copied films/media its stretching things a bit too far. Although I dont condone pirate movies/music, a copy of digital media is no different to the original, whereas copies of physical items can vary wildly from the original.

Although I do confess to partly being a brand snob, there are some items where even I know to draw the line.

One example that springs to mind is "Monster Cables" and specifically their HDMI leads with gold connectors, silver coated conductors etc etc.... Retails at anything up to £60 for a 1m cable. Its no better than a normal 1m cable costing less than a fiver - it transmits a digital signal, so it either works or it doesnt.

It simply can't work "better" than any other cable that works. Its just preying on the folk who used to buy gold plated phono plugs, zero oxygen copper cables etc (which ironically actually may make a difference).

On longer runs of cable, then yes quality may become an issue as you will get sparklies with lower quality higher length runs. But for 1m cables, people are just wasting their money.

a copy of digital media is no different to the original

I've seen plenty of pirate films of very poor quality that would disagree with this.........I've ruined many a good film cos I was too eager to see it, watched a dodgy copy and totally ruined it for myself :bangin:

I've seen plenty of pirate films of very poor quality that would disagree with this.........I've ruined many a good film cos I was too eager to see it, watched a dodgy copy and totally ruined it for myself :bangin:

I flatly refuse to buy/download pirate films etc out of principle

:p sorry, had to do it :lol:

I think what Chris means if you are coping a dvd from an original to another dvd, or a game for example (game consoles). Most pirate films are filmed by some numpty in a cinema with someone's head bobbing up and down infront of the camera then copied onto a dvd in a compressed format which will be of a much lower quality. :)

I think what Chris means if you are coping a dvd from an original to another dvd, or a game for example (game consoles). Most pirate films are filmed by some numpty in a cinema with someone's head bobbing up and down infront of the camera then copied onto a dvd in a compressed format which will be of a much lower quality. :)

That is correct - by "being in a rush to see it", then I guess you mean watching a film at home that is not out on DVD yet - then in that case, yes, you almost certainly will be watching one made in the fashion Dave describes above - a camcorder in a cinema job. What I refer to above as pirate media is copies made from the original DVD/CD.

That is correct - by "being in a rush to see it", then I guess you mean watching a film at home that is not out on DVD yet - then in that case, yes, you almost certainly will be watching one made in the fashion Dave describes above - a camcorder in a cinema job. What I refer to above as pirate media is copies made from the original DVD/CD.

Meaning a 4.7Gbish download file or straight copied disc?