I've had enough...*CAUTION HIGHLY PERSONAL RANT*

BulletMagnet

...enough of all those on here that make replica bits and bobs for the Zed that other traders are selling the genuine article of.

Frickin buy the originals you cheapskates.

Like for example, Envy stock the Mastergrade rear diffuser, yes it's expensive, but then again, it's tip top quality.

Do you realize how much impact it has on traders that have took a long time to establish themselves by selling good quality parts and you come swanning along with your replicas?

I have no qualms if you produce parts that nobody else sells (i.e. CF battery and brake fluid surrounds and the like), but leave the existing items alone will ya?

Yes, this makes me look like an Envy fanboy, and if so, who cares? At least I know I'll have quality everytime I shop there.

Flame me, ignore me, I don't friggin care, just had to get this out of my system.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everybody is made of money mate, a difficult point really but i support people getting their car looking as good as possible without breaking the bank. if a company can produce something for 10 times less, dont you think the original may be a tad overpriced?

I'm not made of money myself, thus I make even more a point of getting genuine stuff, and am more chuffed about it than if I had a fake/replica, because I wouldn't feel right for working hard to save up for a mod on my car.

But like the title says "CAUTION HIGHLY PERSONAL RANT", so it's just my opinion and that's that.....free country and all that...

Envy stock the Mastergrade rear diffuser, yes it's expensive, but then again, it's tip top quality

Do you realize how much impact it has on traders that have took a long time to establish themselves by selling good quality parts and you come swanning along with your replicas?

but it's not a rubbish one that has any issues with fitment or quality

:thumbs:

Totally agree with you that there are plenty of people selling second rate stuff and there is much better quality if you pay that little extra but on the flip side some people cant afford some of the top quality kit and so they need/want a cheaper option. Ive gone cheap a few times and regretted it and ended up buying the top quality stuff in the end anyway. I do really think it pays to spend the extra and have guaranteed quality but there will always be people out there who want to spend less and have it done cheaper so you cant really blame people for providing a service to those that want it.

I think rather then have a go at the sellers you'd be better off trying to educate the buyers against parting with their hard earned for a second rate replica item.

I do think though that there are plenty of non branded bits of kit out there that are a good alternative for those on a budget so im not saying all replicas and all non branded items are junk.

Its supply and demand at the end of the day - if people didnt keep throwing their money at poorly made replicas then the market wouldnt thrive.

Envy stock the Mastergrade rear diffuser, yes it's expensive, but then again, it's tip top quality

Yes, resorting to pointing out a flaw in my original argument is very good, but I have already explained my point tho.

And looking at your own spec list, it looks like you may have a similar attitude to myself as all the stuff listed is genuine and in some cases quite rare...

Yes, resorting to pointing out a flaw in my original argument is very good, but I have already explained my point tho.

And looking at your own spec list, it looks like you may have a similar attitude to myself as all the stuff listed is genuine and in some cases quite rare...

I 100% agree with you :) BUT there is a huge flaw in your argument. You are ranting at people for selling replicas but then bigging up the REPLICAS that envy sell.

I want the TS diffuser but I would pay the extra & get the TS one :)

I'm well versed on this issue on other forums so I won't go too far into it on here but I agree strongly.

The sad thing is as soon as a new product is developed there are knock-offs available. This will, eventually lead to fewer and fewer new products being made because all the 'good' companies who put time and money into R&D will have been pushed out by those who copy. Without new products being R&D'd we will end up with the same old crap being rehashed over and over.

I 100% agree with you :) BUT there is a huge flaw in your argument. You are ranting at people for selling replicas but then bigging up the REPLICAS that envy sell.

OK, fine then...

Shall I change the argument from those items to something like....hmmmm....lets say INGs genuine vs INGs replica rear bumpers then?

We all know what the results there are....

BM, i can understand why people do it, I do see some of the body kit as a bit of a faulse economy sometimes.. unfortunatly its whats gonna happen as the cars get cheaper... Unfortunatly what happens is that the limited sales of the original kit that would have been sold arnt sold by the likes of Envy and then company goes out of business leaving the ones that are selling the replicas ... thus the price of the real stuff goes up cause you have to ship it in as single items!

What I dont get is why try and make a copy of something thats already made a copy and then look for a large number of people to have those made up for... Personally I would concentrate on making a copy of something thats not been copied, or take the time to come up with something new that no one has made before... surly the effort is the same ? :shrug:

Original doesnt necesarily mean better quality/fitment etc though. I recently bought a nice brand new "original" £40,000 Jag. The paint is @*!#, and the attitude Ive had from the dealer and Jaguar is also, @*!#.

For me, a purchase is not just about the quality of the product, but also the quality of the seller and how well they deal with any problems that may arise. Whether they arise with original items, replicas or bespoke products.

I have no issue with people seling replicas, as long as they are advertised as replicas, and the buyer knows they are purchasing a replica product. People who want to buy original items can source original items and make the choice to stay away from replicas. I have original GReddy parts on mine, I also have a bespoke rear from Speedracing, and I would not pay daft prices for Nismo B Pillar covers if I wanted carbon, I'd happily rock fakes.

As long as the traders provide good service to members, advertise their goods accurately and truthfully, then I dont see what more can be done. :shrug:

At 4k for the genuine Veilside kit (for example) for most people its either a replica or nothing. Now to me, that isn't hurting Veilsides profits at all as the sale wasn't there in the first place.

Yeah I agree its a bit harsh to the original designers who have done all the R&D but I'd rather see people with replicas than everyone with a stock Zed because they can't afford the genuine parts.

Maybe if genuine parts weren't such ridiculous prices then everone would benefit, I mean how much does it cost to produce a polished induction pipe(another example)?? Not even 10% of what they sell them for. and I highly doubt there was and R&D involved.

my 2 cents....

I feel this may be slightly aimed at traders like myself??

I know what you are saying and just wondered if you have a playstation, wii or x-box?????/........ Is it chipped?????

Do you have any pirate films????

So many things are very over priced for what they are and the name is all you are really paying for, Carbon Fibre for example is pretty cheap to make, its more down to time but it is still well over priced! The replica's are made in exactly the same way as the originals possibly in the factory next door so if you want to pay just for a name then thats fine, but i couldn't afford all the names for mine :console:

All of what i sell will be great fitment and high quality and all i am doing is trying to make everything more affordable to us slightly less well off members and i am sorry if this offends yourself or anyone else.

coops

Why should replicas be inferior? I have seen plenty that are great fitment, why should I pay £1200 for a Cf bonnet when I can pay £500 for a replica that is JUST as good quality. Why should I care that it is having an impact on these companies, they charge rediculous prices because they are a brand name, its very little to do with quality they are making serious profits on these parts. Also I find that alot of these companies who have monopolies on brand names have equally inflated prices meaning you are paying over the odds for an over priced piece of carbon or fibreglass because at the end of the day thats all it is. Some people have higher priorities than brand snobbery such as, mortages, family and having a life. Hate replicas all you want but as long as there is over priced 'designer parts' there will always be reps.

Get over it.

R

OK, fine then...

Shall I change the argument from those items to something like....hmmmm....lets say INGs genuine vs INGs replica rear bumpers then?

We all know what the results there are....

You can change them to whatever you like :) But the fact remains, that you are telling people to buy the ORIGINALS and then praising the REPLICAS that Envy sell because they have been around a lot longer than the other companies. Also having seen the fitment of the MG roof overlays, the quality & fitment isn't that great

Like I said, I 100% agree with you but the fact is that a lot of people can't/won't afford to pay for the real deal so they go for knock offs & that is theyre choice.

I don't agree with it but its not my problem (probably why you will rarley see me reply in those threads showing off replica items)

Edit: I have some replica items myself, Seibon bonnet & I used to have unbranded carbon b-pillars :)

Coops, like I said, this is a personal opinion so take it with a pinch of salt

Yes I do have a PS3, but games are region free anyway, so no need for chipping.

Ross, I know what your saying and as Ian has pointed out my flaw already, you may well be totally right, but would you rather buy a noname brand headunit from Argos or an established brand like Panasonic, Pioneer or Sony?

I can see both sides of the argument really.

People shouldn't really be copying the real deal - at the end of the day a craftsman, designer, etc have probably spent time making them using a wod load of cash to get them on the shelves.

However, who are we to judge anyone that wants to make or use replicas? It's what business is all about - if someone can make the same product at a cheaper rate then this is called a healthy market and is generating competition. If the replica is then flagged as being more popular than the actual item then this is highlighting marketing problems with the originals (they are too expensive due to greed / no competition or their manufacturing & delivery is costing far too much inflating the consumer price).

There is no right or wrong answer for me. Personally I only go for the genuine stuff because I know its going to be high quality that won't brake or look naff (hence the premium). If you want to spend less go for the replica - although your risk of the product quality is probably going to multiply quite a bit. In the end its a gamble the consumer decides to take.

Copying others products is probably how a fair few large companies started out - can't all be unique. If it is really unique, the original manufacturer can copyright or even patent the design.

The wonderful world we live in - choice! :)

What caused you to have a rant like this? As you already know everybody's budget is different & entirely up to them how they want to spend it. Much in the way as you would mod your car a certain way whether it was to other's taste. Only problem I see is if the replica does not what it says on the tin, i.e if body kit will not fit properly. Your arguement that cheap replica sellers put companies that sell "good" replicas out of business is totally flawed. If that were the case then why don't you advocate everybody buying the genuine OEM parts?

Anyway you have had the chance to air your views whether everybody agrees, so onwards & upwards.

BM, i understand what you're trying to say, but the argument for genuine vs replica was the wrong format for it - i think Mark's, comment below was more what you were getting at (the way i understood it, and the way i feel)...

What I dont get is why try and make a copy of something thats already made a copy and then look for a large number of people to have those made up for... Personally I would concentrate on making a copy of something thats not been copied, or take the time to come up with something new that no one has made before... surly the effort is the same ? :shrug:

Ross, I know what your saying and as Ian has pointed out my flaw already, you may well be totally right, but would you rather buy a noname brand headunit from Argos or an established brand like Panasonic, Pioneer or Sony?

No but I know with Pioneer im getting good quality and tested electrical components that has a good warranty. With bodyparts its different, exact replicas are easy to make for a half decent producer. Perhaps if the originals were not so rediculously priced to begin with they would be more accessible. I do however agree that perhaps the reproducers time would be better spend making originals of their own, then there would be plenty of different styles out there to choose from.

R

i do agree with you mate but if the prices of the originals wasnt so expensive then nobody would need to copy them, like carbon coops said, carbon isnt actually that expensive to produce which just makes you wonder why they have to sell them so expensively

replica's dont have to mean cheap and crap quality, because in some cases its just not correct, for example the company i use makes the parts for brand names in america so in a way it is actually the same stuff

ive tried to be original by making the batt/brake surrounds and carbon plenum and spacer, a and i do have a few other ideas up my sleeve which will be my own ideas, mainly because i wanted to offer different and original products, but some other parts im getting made was mainly because i wanted them and i wanted to be able to have the whole engine bay parts to match using the same carbon weeve,

Scott