Lies???

Marios

My car is in the dealer for repairs on sat nav as it keeps freezing and generally does not work.

The dealer has just called me and said that it is most likely because I have replaced the windscreen and that the sat nav has stopped working because the windscreen is different and has effected the signal of the sat nav???

Im sure thats absolute b*****s!

Bull

absolute bull!

unless the window has a heater element in it (which he 350z doesn't) or its lead lined then there is no reason a windscreen would affect it.

either the software or the hardware is fubared and needs replacing.

if its out of warranty and they quote you more than £400, go speak to nurrish and have one of his units put in.

LOL. :lol:

Thats seriously the most stupid lie ever! You're telling me that if you ever change the window I have to change my sat nav, etc too. :lol::clap:

It'll be a software issue or some internal hardware is misbehaving. SatNav is just a small computer with a GPS signal.

Thats like saying "if you have black wheels you'll go slower". er...you what?!? :bangin:

mmm sounds weird...

Unless there was a tiny aerial in the windscreen ?

When I had my JDM windscreen replaced they had to replace like for like... there is a tiny aerial embedded in the windcreen on the left hand side... im pretty sure they said that was for the satnav even tho I dont have one...

:shrug:

Could be totally wrong and he is just telling you bull ? Is it a UK car ?

Well I brought the issue up to them 2 weeks ago when the warrenty was still in but the warrenty ran out on the 20 September but since I took the car to them before the warrenty finished and they still did not fix the issue then they are having to do it under warrenty.

They said that the sensor near the window could effect the signal as it only had 1.5 inches of clearance instead of 4inches.

I just got off the phone to them and told them to disregard that theory and find the real problem as the signal would not make my screen go black.

The investiagtion continues- lets see with what they come up with next... I did change my badges wonder if they pin the blame on that??

mmm sounds weird...

When I had my JDM windscreen replaced they had to replace like for like... there is a tiny aerial embedded in the windcreen on the left hand side... im pretty sure they said that was for the satnav even tho I dont have one...

Yep UK car never had a sensor on my windscreen its that white box thing attached to the sunglasses holder they are refering to.

mmm sounds weird...

Yep UK car never had a sensor on my windscreen its that white box thing attached to the sunglasses holder they are refering to.

Mmm sounds like its a fault with the Sat Nav then... Don't know the law but surely if you can prove you complained about it while under warranty then you should have the law with you..

Hope you can sort it bud :thumbs:

Well it depends what windscreen you've had fitted so they may not be telling porkies. Some cars have windscreens which prevent most of the radar signal passing through to be received properly inside the car. This reduces the effectiveness and therefore the warning range of the radar detectors and GPS.

"Athermic" windscreens cause problems for all radar detectors and also GPS systems due to the high metallic content of the screen. Athermic screens are sometimes called heat reflective, solar or heat insulating windscreens.

Athermic windscreens are easy to spot as, from about 50 yards away, they appear to have a "Petrol Blue" haze.

Above was taken from some technical site though I was already aware of it.. Renault screens use this type of windscreen. Check out the next one that approaches you and you may see the blue tint.

Personally, I've had no problems with using other GPS kit with heated screens, well with Ford anyway.

Are you losing the GPS signal? Does the GPS icon grey out? I would not have thought losing the signal would cause the program to lock up as it happens all the time with normal use (under bridges, flyovers etc).

Don't think its

Well it depends what windscreen you've had fitted so they may not be telling porkies. Some cars have windscreens which prevent most of the radar signal passing through to be received properly inside the car. This reduces the effectiveness and therefore the warning range of the radar detectors and GPS.

"Athermic" windscreens cause problems for all radar detectors and also GPS systems due to the high metallic content of the screen. Athermic screens are sometimes called heat reflective, solar or heat insulating windscreens.

Athermic windscreens are easy to spot as, from about 50 yards away, they appear to have a "Petrol Blue" haze.

Above was taken from some technical site though I was already aware of it.. Renault screens use this type of windscreen. Check out the next one that approaches you and you may see the blue tint.

Personally, I've had no problems with using other GPS kit with heated screens, well with Ford anyway.

Are you losing the GPS signal? Does the GPS icon grey out? I would not have thought losing the signal would cause the program to lock up as it happens all the time with normal use (under bridges, flyovers etc).

The Sat Nav was fine for over a month with the new windscreen, problems only occured when the DVD came out and was put straight back in.

Never had any issues with signal, the GPS logo will go grey for a split second but never had any issues of losing signal.

Don't think its

"Athermic" windscreens cause problems for all radar detectors and also GPS systems due to the high metallic content of the screen. Athermic screens are sometimes called heat reflective' date=' solar or heat insulating windscreens.

Are you losing the GPS signal? Does the GPS icon grey out? I would not have thought losing the signal would cause the program to lock up as it happens all the time with normal use (under bridges, flyovers etc).[/quote']

The Sat Nav was fine for over a month with the new windscreen, problems only occured when the DVD came out and was put straight back in.

Never had any issues with signal, the GPS logo will go grey for a split second but never had any issues of losing signal.

Ahh, well with that bit of info I guess they are telling porkies

Something is up with the hardware, much more serious than the GPS loosing signal. Take it back and tell them to replace the unit as it is defective. Its like a small PC, but you cant simply rebuild it, they will need a new (or refurbed) one ;)

Something is up with the hardware, much more serious than the GPS loosing signal. Take it back and tell them to replace the unit as it is defective. Its like a small PC, but you cant simply rebuild it, they will need a new (or refurbed) one ;)

I asked my sister to drop the car off for me this morning and they have now sent her home saying that I need to tell them exactly what goes wrong and when! This has totally infuriated me as I have spoken to them three times explaining what the problem is and when it happens. This is the second time I have taken my car to them to fix the sat nav with no outcome!

I have already described that sometimes the sat nav loads up after 5 mins then in the next following 5 mins it will crash and the picture will remain frozen until engine is turned off. Or alternatively my sat nav will not load up for 15 mins then the screen will turn black.

I simply want them to replace but they are saying that the sat nav unit is not a nissan part it is made by an another company so if they remove the unit it will have to be examined by that company.

Why can they not just remove the unit and fit a new one. Really starting to annoy me now. :bang:

Absolute garbage. The Birdview is Nissan option. Mine was retro fitted by Nissan. It malfunctioned and was removed and returned to Birdview for replacement.

At the time the supplier was in France and Nissan themselves took 8 months to get a replacement.

Because of this, and I assume similar issues, a uk supplier has been set up.

Its the same as a Bose unit failing, they remove it and send it back. AS replacement unit will then be sent out.

Get Nissan customer services on the case and advise the dealer you have done this. I found e-mail to be the best solution for this.

Nissan also bought me a Tom Tom as the exchange took so long.

Absolute garbage. The Birdview is Nissan option. Mine was retro fitted by Nissan. It malfunctioned and was removed and returned to Birdview for replacement.

At the time the supplier was in France and Nissan themselves took 8 months to get a replacement.

Because of this, and I assume similar issues, a uk supplier has been set up.

Its the same as a Bose unit failing, they remove it and send it back. AS replacement unit will then be sent out.

Get Nissan customer services on the case and advise the dealer you have done this. I found e-mail to be the best solution for this.

Nissan also bought me a Tom Tom as the exchange took so long.

Thank you for the advice I have just sent an email to Nissan customer service, keep my fingers crossed!

as already correctly stated the selection of windscreen can have huge implications on the vehicle electrical system, primarily any device using an antenna based within the vehicle. the use of IR glass which will reduce the heat absobtion by 2-3Deg will also reduce a signal from 100% to 3% due to the metallic layer used forming a faraday cage.

Also as already stated antennas are Very frequently embedded into windows, mainly rear windows but sometimes front. they are disigned to be hidden and normally look like heater lines or are run up the sides.

However, nissan are just giving you a load of BS probably :lol:

As someone has posted quite a lot of windscreens on new cars prevent RF due to a film built in to prevent some kind of UV getting through. We have an S5 in work which has this and no 3rd party sat nav will work.

However this is still total crock shite as yours I guess is a factory fit sat nav which will have its aerial located somewhere else within the car (usually far away from the windscreen). Therefore aftermarket (tomtom) with their built in aerials wont work, but factory fitted ones will fine.

My guess would be on a firmware / software issue.

Car is back in with the dealer today as they still have not resolved and admit they do not know what the issue is. I don't know what to do anymore. They said they cannot open up the actual unit itself as it is made by a company called Clarion.

Furthermore they have come back to me and said if it is a CD issue then its not covered by warrenty?? Surely it is as it is part of the sat nav unit?

I emailed Nissan Customer Service but noone has come back to me with any sort of feedback. Feel a bit lost on the situation can anyone offer any sort of guidance on what steps to take?

Thanks