How to - Change front indicator bulbs

hbwold

• 2 weeks later...
Did this simple mod..it's dead easy..took me 10mins for both sides. And the silvatec bulbs cost me £5quid from ebay :thumbs: A really good guide :thumbs:

How do the Silvatec bulbs compare to the standard type bulbs in terms of their brightness?

I read somewhere that they aren't as bright as the original bulbs ... I used Phillips Silver Vision bulbs for my front indicators and they're brilliant compared to the old ones ... however I want to change the rears now and can't really justify spending another £13 on bulbs ...

I was thinking of using the Silvatec ones instead but wasn't sure ...

Wow...good guide, going to get these bulbs tomorrow. To have such a dramatic affect on the overall appearance so easily and at low expense....superb.

Am I right in thinking, accessing the sidelight bulb lower down in the headlight isn't as simple???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I changed my indicator bulbs as soon as I got the car 3 weeks ago, as quoted it's tight but take your time & it can be done from the top, I'M just about to change the side lights for the LED's I'M glad someone said you can get at them through the inner wing plastic covers I didn't fancy taking bumpers off just to change the bulbs, :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Just changed the side light bulbs for the LED's they match the headlights better now,

To change them I started the car & turned full lock then undo 1 screw first one up from the front, then carefully push the inner plastic arch & get your hand behind it then pull it out so you can get your hand in, it's quite tight but even with big hands it's still possible to do, a slight twist of the light housing & it comes loose, just pull the holder out & change the light ensure you push it all the way in to prevent it dropping out, then locate the fitting & a little twist & it's back in place, now push the plastic inner arch back into place & replace the screw, now start the car & turn the lock to the other side & repeat,

One last thing to do before fastening when you have changed the bulbs just switch your side lights on to ensure you have it in the right way round, it's possible that the LED will only work in one way!

Happy days a nice little touch :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

anyone purchased and fitted these??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHROME-Indica ... 230b4482fe

the little nibs are too big for a snug fit into the 350z bulb holder - dont get that click and they stick out a bit (work fine but dont really like leaving them half hanging out incase they drop into headlamp)

are these the wrong bulbs?? or is slight modification needed? (i have tried brute force) :rant:

little nibs as in bottom left corner are larger on the 'silvertec' bulbs compared to the nibs on the original and so do not click into the holder properly - wrong bulbs or diy needed??

Looks good, what sort of paint did you use to silver the rear lights? Does the amber shine through ok?

just some wheel silver i had.and yes the orange shows better than the chrome bulbs in the front. :blush:

we live and learn :D

Has the paint held up on the bulbs after use and gettin warm etc? Any flaking off? Tempted to try this myself. Presumably any silver spray paint will do?!

• 9 months later...

Thread resurrection BUT

I went to do this after I put my new gear knob on, and I removed the bolt however there was still nowhere near enough space to get my hand in enough to twist the bulb housing. I haven't got big hands by any means... Am I missing something?? Mine is an 06 if that makes any difference.

EDIT: might try with a screwdriver.

Edited by kris

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Ive just bought these from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a6ef0c07

But they don't look like the ones in the guide!! have I bought the wrong type???

EDIT - Just peered into the headlight and these are the wrong type!!!!

ordered these now instead:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280954746728

Edited by timb2010

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Ive just bought these from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item51a6ef0c07

But they don't look like the ones in the guide!! have I bought the wrong type???

sorry to say yes you have.....you need t20 type bulbs

like these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T20-W21W-SILVER-CHROME-Car-Bulbs-Indicator-Lights-flash-amber-for-Subaru-models-/160828656086?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25722289d6

EDIT - Just peered into the headlight and these are the wrong type!!!!

ordered these now instead:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280954746728

• 2 years later...

I know this is a really old post but I've just bought the Silvertec bulbs and my findings are they don't fit as well as the original orange bulb (there isn't a resounding click when you push them in) and also they aren't as bright as the orginals.......is that what everyone else has found? :shrug:

Just bought some too and can't get them in at all, we ordered the BU582 version as I found a pic on here of them as fitted another member but they seem to have a slightly bigger lug on one side, having done some comparing of pictures online and checking on some websites the BU 585 version looks as tho it will fit , found people having similar issues on one of the Honda forums too, couldn't find the Silvatech in 585 so ordered some others from HIDS direct Xtech , just arrived this morning so I'll let you know how I get one once to stops raining!

Could just be luck of the draw on how well they're made I suppose,some of the ones there are Ebay links for on here say both 585 and 582 as equivalents , not really sure if there should b any difference but looks like it comparing the ones I have here, am sure someone will put me right if there isn't !

• 3 weeks later...