356mm BBK fitted all round **PICS included**

GT4 Zed

well i did my annual CPR training on friday... so successful it works on forum threads too!! :lol::lol::lol:

in any case it will be good to know what bennet thinks of the BBKs.

esp on the balance of the car and disk overheating. temps etc.

I ve got the PF at the front with race RF pads and dixcel rear disks with PF standard pads.

At my recent outing to donnington park the PF guy was there measuring disc temps.

So after 10 very on the limit laps i did a cool down lap and went in the pits. He came round quickly and measured the temps. It was about 300 degrees all over he said which is very good he said.

I was on 888s and for ventilation i have opened big holes on the wheel arch inner liner. During the whole day i had no brake fade whatsoever and the only thing that reduced my laps to 10-15 per outing was overheating of tyres mainly and coilovers.

in total i did more than 80 laps and i would have done more if it hadnt pi**ed it down :lol:

the brake bias of the car is very important tho. cant wait to hear comments :bounce:

these brakes are exceptionally good, the pad upgrade is an absolute must for the best results. the ferodo and PF upgrades being the most popular

they are getting great results on the evo owners club too, with many recommending them over AP's, Alcon and larger brembo setups

i have supplied two kits, and both customers are extremely pleased, one of them being quite a regular track user, with the PF pad upgrade

aha this thread has been revived ;)

I have offered many comments in various post where it came up but i will write a nice summary of my experience after over one year as it is only fair to do so for the benefit of the forum and for interested parties

In all i only have positive comments about these BBk and the fact that Ksports have been official Time attack brake suppliers and winner it goes along way to say about the good balance quality and performance of the BBK and value for money :thumbs:

i hope Wasso can chip in as he recently had the pleasure of being scared to death in my zed and he can provide an unbiased view of the Ksport BBKs performance and the handling of my zed in general as we had a 30mins blast in the country B)

Bennett I have seen you drive, you need big brakes :teeth:

I'm just getting ready for work and thought I'd post a quickie!

Words of comment:

F••kin he'll they are truly amazing! I now totally understand what a BBK kit can do and to be honest if you want to stop, and stop on a dime then anyone wanting to upgrade should invest!

Okay so Bennett has suspension modifications to work along side the brakes but hell Mary I never thought it was possible to defy the laws of physics. :scare:

My thoughts were that if you increase braking potential then there's the increases chance of locking up. Not once was traction lost neither did the car feel unsettled. It was if the car should of had a BBK kit from the word go.

I know what I shall be purchasing next year! Thanks Bennett for scaring the sh•t out of me :lol:

Amazing :thumbs:

Herewith my review after over a year of onwership and a real trash about. I think Wasso's comment says it all :teeth:

I would the following about Ksports BBK:

Pros

- very good engineering and precision of components.

- Complete kit with easy plug and play swap

- good quality at the business end of things eg bracket, disc, calliper quality

- rivalling performance to established "big brands" eg AP racing

- Unbeatable price

- Interchangeable parts with AP racing BBK range and can use all also the top spec pads from mintex pagid etc.

- If you love your trackdays which i know you do and have the suspension setup to take it then this is for you. when combined with PF 01 pads there is very little you cannot outbrake on the track :thumbs:

- Car specific design which make fitting easy and maintains factory brake bias and OEM modulation and brake feel. Even with PF01 race compound cold bite is surprisingling good but when up to temp this thing is just awesome.... staright line braking, no vibrations, no lock ups just repeatable performance with no fade. I have done 5 hot Ring laps and only stopped to cool oil and tyres :teeth:

- Good pad and disc longevity. i am yet to change the disc or pads which have about 75% life left despite all the abuse thrown at it and a skim due to excessive pad deposit ffrom the Ksport OEM sports pads.

- Very good support from Apex performance who rep Ksport in Uk

Cons

- A lot of dust with PF 01 race pads but less with ferodo DS2500 and even less with Ksport street pad.

- Squeals when cold.

- the OEM ksport streets or sports pads are very good too but for extended trackday they suffer heatsoak and tranfer material to the disc which can lead to DTV requiring skimming. I would recommend then for fast road use and ocassional short stint trackdays but for long stints or the Ring get the PF 01 or pagid yellows because even the DS2500 is not a full race pad.

- The calliper paint and non structural bolts heads and nipple heads are in SS so prone to superficial rusting but this can be repowder coated and bolts swapped for rust proof items if the esthetics is so important to you.

In summary it is a must have for any serious trackday player. But i would seriously advise fully suspension upgrade and decent tyres as the zed was built soft for comfort and not aggressive track characteristics. I have to change all my bushes now which have been mashed up :surrender:

http://www.ksport.co.uk/products.asp?f=brakes

No i am not on a comission or whatsoever :D

Thanks for the review GT4 Zed, very nice of you to take the time. :thumbs: And im glad your enjoying your mod.

I have a couple of questions, i hope you dont mind:

Was wondering if these calipers can be refurbished/rebuilt if the time comes?

Also do you need to remove the caliper for a pad change, or just knock out the pins on the top and remove the pads?

Do they retain the OEM dust sheilds and what about the handbrake?

Do they fit under the OEM 18's/Rays?

Finally do you know where they are manufactured, ie UK, Japan, States or Taiwan etc?

Oh and did you find any negatives from running the huge rears in regards to brake bias/performance/stability? Is there a recommended rear upgrade do maintain the brake balance?

Sorry for all the questions, i just cant find much info out there on them, if you know any other unbiased reviews out there i would appreciate a pointer, as i know you must have done your research.

Thanks again mate :)

Thanks for the review GT4 Zed, very nice of you to take the time. :thumbs: And im glad your enjoying your mod.

I have a couple of questions, i hope you dont mind:

Was wondering if these calipers can be refurbished/rebuilt if the time comes?

The callipers are billet steel so struturally indistructable. but you can have them PCed to your own colour. you would need to remove the pistons which can be resued but put new piston seals which are available from Apex performance. i have considered Pcing mine porshe or lambo yellow and its not expensive its just need the time to take them off. another option is paint but personally i prefer PC for durability. with paint you can get away with covering up the pistons and seals but seals are cheap. All ancillaries such as pads, disc, bolts pins, clips, nipples etc are available from Apex.

Also do you need to remove the caliper for a pad change, or just knock out the pins on the top and remove the pads?

yep, just the pins out and straight forward swap

Do they retain the OEM dust sheilds and what about the handbrake?

The kit is complete and replaces everything thing. the hand brake drun is contructed within the rear disc and fits perfectly over the OEM shoes. All you have to do is readjust the handbrake cable tension like you would when changing handbrake shoes.

Do they fit under the OEM 18's/Rays?

Depends on what disc size kit you go for. the 356mm kit will fit the 18" rays :thumbs: 380mm or 400mm kits will need 19" wheels but that is just an over kill because even the 330mm with 6 piston front and 4 piston rear kit is awesome and will out perform OEM brembo by miles. I went for 356mm kit F&R because i have 19" wheels and it looks nice and the price differnce is not so much!

Finally do you know where they are manufactured, ie UK, Japan, States or Taiwan etc?

I think USA & Korea but confirm with Ksport or APEX websites. Either way it does not matter as the quality and performance are unquestionable and good value for money.

Oh and did you find any negatives from running the huge rears in regards to brake bias/performance/stability? Is there a recommended rear upgrade do maintain the brake balance?

The kit is designed specific for each model and takes this into account. you need to follow the recommendations and you will have no probs. I have none whatsoever. In general they recommend the same diameter disc front and rear and 2 piston size diference between the the two. eg 356mm all round with 8 pots vs 6 pots or 330 all round 8 vs 6 pots but you can also go for the next disc size down on the rear eg provided you spec it with -2 pot wrt the front disc, eg 356/8pots vs 330 6pots. Apex will advise you with all this so not to worry.also you will have to match the pads all round to maintain biais

Sorry for all the questions, i just cant find much info out there on them, if you know any other unbiased reviews out there i would appreciate a pointer, as i know you must have done your research.

No probs mate, i am happy to share my experience. you can get all this info from Ksport Uk website which i posted up or spec to them or search on the web. i read loads of testimonies before making up my mind to get them. The only bad reviews they had that i came across was back in 2006 when there was issues with the quality odf the materials used but since then they have upped thier game as testified by their huge presence in the Time attack series and champoinship win and in D1.

http://www.ksport.co.uk/products.asp?f=brakes

Thanks again mate :)

you are welcome. post or pm any more querries if you need more help

Wow, thanks for the great reply mate :) Very much appreciated, beyond what i expected TBH :):thumbs:

RE rebuild: Its very good that they have a proper agents here that you can deal with and get parts from etc

RE dust sheilds: When you say the kit is complete and replaces everything, do you mean they replace the OEM dust sheilds with new ones or retains them? aplogies i didnt understand. The handbrake bit sounds great.

RE Fit: i want to keep a set of 18's for the track so im glad the 356mm with 8pot's fits.

RE the superficial issue of colour :blush: : I was thinking of that sam yellow myself, do they offer that colour new?

You mentioned you get some brake squeel from cold, how long does it take to go away? Do you think the copper grease trick will help?

Sorry, more questions again, just doing research before parting with the cash :)

thanks a lot, guess they have to go on the shortlist now :teeth:

Wow, thanks for the great reply mate :) Very much appreciated, beyond what i expected TBH :):thumbs:

RE rebuild: Its very good that they have a proper agents here that you can deal with and get parts from etc

Anyway you are not going to need pads often unless you are going to be tracking all year long or in a competive series like Mr lizard B)

RE dust sheilds: When you say the kit is complete and replaces everything, do you mean they replace the OEM dust sheilds with new ones or retains them? aplogies i didnt understand. The handbrake bit sounds great.

The zed only has dust shields on the rear AFAIK and that is retained but you need to straighten the curled tips out of the way as you could have slight rubbing with the handbrake drum when hot. i just cut it out and its not an issue.

RE Fit: i want to keep a set of 18's for the track so im glad the 356mm with 8pot's fits. will be fine

RE the superficial issue of colour :blush: : I was thinking of that sam yellow myself, do they offer that colour new?

orange or black as standard but you can pay extra for custom colors i believe. i would rather buy the black one and pc before installation so you can refit the piston seals as they are unsed. i have a place in bromsgrove where they quoted £20 excl VAT per calliper :thumbs: they are good and did my wheels for £35 per wheel excl VAT.

You mentioned you get some brake squeel from cold, how long does it take to go away? Do you think the copper grease trick will help? Its to do with the pad compound so copper grease will do jot ;) race pads squeal end of story so you either ignore it or put u with it :p In terms of time it depends. a few good progessive braking could make it go but if you drove for ages without braking eg motorway when you get on them it may squeal again as its got cold again. on the track it tends not to do so as there is some heat in them and thats when they work optimally

Sorry, more questions again, just doing research before parting with the cash :)

thanks a lot, guess they have to go on the shortlist now :teeth:

If you are not going to do alot of track time i would say get uprated pads, discs ss lines and racing brake fliud and it will be more than competent for fast road and occasinal trackday or regular short stints sessions ;) As i said before if you go for BBKs you need uprated suspension to go with it and decent tyres. one year after having this my bushes are all gone and will need replacing with uprated items. Ideally i should have replaced these including the engine and tranny mounts because with the stiff suspension setup increase grip and BBK you can feel that the bushes have to much play or squirm alot and there is a pendulum eefect from the engine which you counter by going stiffer which creates more wear. so be warned that you will have to fork out for all this uprated parts if you want everything to work in unison