356mm BBK fitted all round **PICS included**

GT4 Zed

As you all know i am well and truly on the slippery slope of turning my zed to a fast road/trackday weapon andfinally got to do fit a BBK. After extensive research/reviews, here and in US. I decided that the K-sport was the one to go for :thumbs: .

I had considered a stage 3 upgrade but always wanted stage 4 but was wary about to the costs:

Stage 1: replacement pads and disc(front only or front & rear) +/- steel lines +/- RBF eg DBA 4000 0r 4000xs with Ferodo or PF pads (up to 10-20% improvement over Brembo)

Stage 2: 2 peice OEM sized disc/pads replacement (front only)eg DBA 5000 or PF + steel lines + RBF( better pedal feel and resistance to boiling) and up 20-30% improvement over Brembo

Stage 3:OEM sized 2 piece disc/pad replacement (front and rear) + RBF + steel lines eg Stoptech aerorotors (up to 40-50% over Brembo but better fade resistance

Stage 4 (which is the only real option for serious track work:thumbs:)

a- front BBK only +/_ uprated OEM sized rear discs and uprated pads

b- Front and rear BBK, for the perfect match

Cue CS, to whom i am forever indebted to as always. He sourced the kit from K-sport UK at a very competive price and arranged for fitting, all in a day's work! Thank you sir! Also need to mention that CS can now fully cater for any of the stage upgardes ;)

This kit is very well engineered, DOT and TUV certified and up there with the best brands :thumbs: for which it shares replacement components/items (AP, Ferodo Mintex and Pagid).

For all the info you need then see their website: http://www.ksport.co.uk/products.asp?f=brakes and CS for pricing since i believe he is now a trade representative :thumbs: i can always chip in with any detailed info if required.

I chose the 356mm all round kit with the following tech spec:

Front

- Lightweight 8 piston opposed callipers

- 356mm 2 piece floating disc(slotted) with alluminium hats

- Carbon steel brackets

- Stainless steel lines

- K-sport sport pads(?rebranded DS2500)

Rear

- Lightweight 6 piston opposed callipers

- 356mm 2 piece floating disc(slotted) with alluminium hats

- Carbon steel brackets

- Stainless steel lines

- K-sport sport pads(?rebranded DS2500)

*All bathed in Motul 660 Dot 5.1 racing brake fluid.

To top it all the kit is lighter than OEM Brembo and looks B)

Fitting was a doodle courtesy of Andy and the precision is incredible :thumbs: We had to cut off the front and rear dust covers to accomodate the bigger discs which is the same for any BBK ;)

Where do i start to decribe the braking performance? :scare: :scare:

From the off despite light pedal application I knew this was going to be special :teeth: Once i completed the bedding procedure and started having a go......all i can say is fook me! The stopping is epic and violent if you stepped on it!(will need racing seats and harness soon me thinks) No snatching, no squeal, no vibration, no dust clouds, no fade, just straight line braking repeatedly:#1: !

The feel and modulation is like OEM except that after repeated application even from triple figures it only feels stronger! I tried a full stop leaving late into a round about and it was like i had been pulled back with all the other cars speeding through despite the fact that i had more than twice their speed :teeth:

I can't begin to imagine what it would feel like if you mate this with race pads :scare: like PF01 which is reckonned to be the ultimate combination for this BBK for track work :surrender:

I just can't wait to get to the track but i will resist until i complete suspension work :p I think this kit is very good value for money and is underated massively!

Herewith some pics. I will load more with close ups to show how precise and equal the disc/pads tolerances are all round.

DSC00690Large.jpg

DSC00691Large.jpg

DSC00692Large.jpg

DSC00693Large.jpg

DSC00698Large.jpg

DSC00699Large.jpg

DSC00700Large.jpg

DSC00701Large.jpg

DSC00702Large.jpg

DSC00704Large.jpg

DSC00706Large.jpg

DSC00708Large.jpg

DSC00713Large.jpg

Fook me!!! :scare: Thats some set up Bennet. I hate to think what that little lot cost, but it does look the biz B)

You'll have to come down and show me how good it is :teeth:;)

I think your next mod will have to be a full detail mate, those swirls look :yuck::lol:

And i hope you aint gonna be using that tyre/wheel combo for the track :scare: Nexen's are sh**e and chrome lipped 19's are not much good for the track. The 18" rays would be more suited than the wolfraces for that formidable ring. Or have you got proper wheels and tyres already, that you hiding from us ;)

Fook me!!! :scare: Thats some set up Bennet. I hate to think what that little lot cost, but it does look the biz B)

You'll have to come down and show me how good it is :teeth:;)

I think your next mod will have to be a full detail mate, those swirls look :yuck::lol:

And i hope you aint gonna be using that tyre/wheel combo for the track :scare: Nexen's are sh**e and chrome lipped 19's are not much good for the track. The 18" rays would be more suited than the wolfraces for that formidable ring. Or have you got proper wheels and tyres already, that you hiding from us ;)

Steve,

I cost a few bob overall but CS got me a healthy discount and most of the cost was offset by the sale of my GT4 wheels and Brembos ;)

The Wolfrace are OK and i have Michelin PS2 on them since 2 weeks( after i put on the BBK) :p . however i have standard rays from my old zed and will match it with Toyo R888 or Michelin PS cups if i can stretch but that's down the pipeline. i need to complete the full suspension upgrade in 2 week :scare:

As for the detailing, feel free to oblige when i come to see you in wales i've got autosol supersfine in the boot.:lol: :lol:

Feel a bit better now that you have decent tyres fitted :yahoo:

Toyo 888's or the MPS cups will be an amazing combo with the lightweight Rays, also consider the Yokohama Paradas, they are a super sticky tyre, ideal for the ring and everyday use :thumbs:

As for polishing your car, it'll cost you :lol: Get a pro to give it the full treatment!! You will be blinded by the shinyness B)

Iteresting to see how you get on chap, K-sport get good writeups from the Evo crowd. Its that BBK specifically sized for the Zed? I ask as a few years ago I read an article from StopTech saying about how they did weeks of testing different sized disc/callipers to sort out their BBK to keep the balance right. Interesting to see the front and rear discs are the same size as I think other kits are staggered. Maybe as its 8 pot vs 6 pot it keeps the stagger in power.

Iteresting to see how you get on chap, K-sport get good writeups from the Evo crowd. Its that BBK specifically sized for the Zed? I ask as a few years ago I read an article from StopTech saying about how they did weeks of testing different sized disc/callipers to sort out their BBK to keep the balance right. Interesting to see the front and rear discs are the same size as I think other kits are staggered. Maybe as its 8 pot vs 6 pot it keeps the stagger in power.

Chris

All the BBKs are car specific which is why the fitting is so precise :thumbs:

They do 12pot/10pot or 8pot in front and 6pot rears and offer 330mm to 400mm discs :scare: for the zed. i just chose both disc 356 for aesthetic reasons. you are right about the bias being maintained by the 8 vs 6 pot front to rear but also this is inherent in the mechanics of the braking system so identical front and rear may not be an issue :)

I Could have gone 356/330mm as most people and save a few bob, but where is the fun in that.

Steve

" having your own portable brick wall club" is so apt to describe the stopping :teeth:

Nice upgrade!

Looking at the pics, the front grooves seem to be in "aggro" mode, whereas the rears are not, was this on request?

gosh Bullet you are right what a keen eye :thumbs:

we paid attention to the fronts, refering the fitting manual and obviously became complacent when we got to the rears :lol:

Will can that Asap as it says brake cooling and performance can be affected :p

cheers bud :thumbs:

Now get the coilovers :p:p:p:p

Not after I have sampled your zed and heard your fully review ;)

do you know you can buy damper control extensions so you can adjust the rear within the strut brace hidden underneath the plastic covers?:thumbs:

you need ARBs and endlink and you are done :yahoo:

Looking at the pics again, it appears the fronts are going in the "right" direction according to the vanes, and the rears are not. I'd check with Mitz to see if they are interchangable though as they might be ;)

[threadjack]

Alex: One thing I do notice with these is that theres no handbrake adjustment window/hole in those dics. Is that the case with most BBK? If so I bet its a right dog to change them as when I did mine I had to loosen the handbrake right off using the adjuster on the hub to get them off. Just curious, thats all :)

[/threadjack]

[threadjack]

Alex: One thing I do notice with these is that theres no handbrake adjustment window/hole in those dics. Is that the case with most BBK? If so I bet its a right dog to change them as when I did mine I had to loosen the handbrake right off using the adjuster on the hub to get them off. Just curious, thats all :)

[/threadjack]

Chris, most BBK have the holes for the handbrake adjustment, but no big deal if it does not.

All you do is let off the handbrake cable adjustment inside the car and flick up the adjuster at the hub with the drum off until the drum is a "snug" fit. Finally adjust the handbrake from the cable inside the car. ;)

Alex.

[threadjack]

[/threadjack]

Chris, most BBK have the holes for the handbrake adjustment, but no big deal if it does not.

All you do is let off the handbrake cable adjustment inside the car and flick up the adjuster at the hub with the drum off until the drum is a "snug" fit. Finally adjust the handbrake from the cable inside the car. ;)

Alex.

Fair enough, I had a feeling it might be like that :) [end threadjack]

• 1 year later...

they look B)B)B)

very nice m8 they do look the part!

Alex's point is right. check the vents...although all the bbks i ve seen on evos face the same way like yours...i think...take a wheel off and double check. ;)

as for the sizes you may find out that the car behaves a bit differently on the track now. there was a very detailed test somewhere on the net (trying to find it again) and the general conclusion was that you need to keep the manufacturer front/rear braking bias as close to standard as possible. when you are braking the cars inertia needs to follow a specific as per the cars design and suspension. In the Zeds case to the front. That you way you achieve shorter braking distance and better turn in balance. That test was comparing standard brakes, brembo and and bigger set ups with staggered/non staggered combinations. dont think the caliper was as important as the disk diameter. looking forward for your review after a track day.

last thing...given that it will be a tight squeeze into the rays now will it not affect the air flow to the disks? thinking about overheating still...and heat transfer to the rim/tyre too :blush:

they look B)B)B)

Alex's point is right. check the vents...although all the bbks i ve seen on evos face the same way like yours...i think...take a wheel off and double check. ;)

as for the sizes you may find out that the car behaves a bit differently on the track now. there was a very detailed test somewhere on the net (trying to find it again) and the general conclusion was that you need to keep the manufacturer front/rear braking bias as close to standard as possible. when you are braking the cars inertia needs to follow a specific as per the cars design and suspension. In the Zeds case to the front. That you way you achieve shorter braking distance and better turn in balance. That test was comparing standard brakes, brembo and and bigger set ups with staggered/non staggered combinations. dont think the caliper was as important as the disk diameter. looking forward for your review after a track day.

last thing...given that it will be a tight squeeze into the rays now will it not affect the air flow to the disks? thinking about overheating still...and heat transfer to the rim/tyre too :blush:

u know this thread is +1 year?

they look B)B)B)

u know this thread is +1 year?

You brought it up from the dead after a year ;)