Thoughts on Lubes pls

neilh

Hi guys,

Just got my Azure 350Z and grinning all day - now i know what i've been missing !

Anyway, car is 2005 with 21k miles and looking at P3 service receipt that was just (300 miles ago) done, it was not done at Nissan dealer and they used:

- Carlube 5W/30 semi-synthetic (which comes from Tetrosyl in USA) for engine

- Comma 80w90 differental oil.

I don't know if anyone has any thoughts good or bad on these but with such a young engine I would like to know I have got the best in there and I am prepared to have these changed again if any doubts.

Cheers

Neil

I honestly just choked on my coffee when I read that title!

+1 I thought it was about another subject completley :blush:

Nope that is the right subject if you are use the stealers... ;):lol:

They are using fully synthetic oil now... had mine changed recently.... :dry:

It still hurt the same.... :dummy::lol::lol::lol:

you got 2 options

opie oils or envy performance.

Opie do a whole range but the popular choice is Silkolene pro S 5w30

Envy do a service kit and you have a choice between millers or royal purple, royal purple is particularly good and comes recommended from a tour car team i know, and i'll be using it in my next service.

at the end of the day as long as it has oil in there it will be fine. but i might suggest changing it out at 4500 miles as i don't think that stuff will still be as good at 9000.

oil degrades over time with being heated and cooled. the more expensive good oils will maintain there abilities to a higher milage cheaper oils will do a good job but for less time.

• 1 month later...

Thx for feedback all,

Following positive coments from the forum, I went over to DMS for a ful P3 and well worth it. As you all noted, they are very helpful and let you watch and wander (as noted in "Do you trust them" post).

Added bonus was that despite the service invoice from seller, the diff oil clearly hadn't been changed. Now comfortable that I can press on with good oil all round !

Cheers

neil

Hi guys,

Got my first P1 due in a few months (working on my current mileage). The Stealers said they put in Semi-Synthetic Oil but a lot of 350z owners supply their own Fully-Synthetic oil. I have noticed a few threads recommending the Silkolene Pro S 5w30. Any particular reason for this brand of Oil over something like Mobil 1 or Castrol for instance?

Also any clues as to why Nissan don’t go with fully synthetic anyway?

As always thanks in advance guys. :thumbs:

Hi guys,

Got my first P1 due in a few months (working on my current mileage). The Stealers said they put in Semi-Synthetic Oil but a lot of 350z owners supply their own Fully-Synthetic oil. I have noticed a few threads recommending the Silkolene Pro S 5w30. Any particular reason for this brand of Oil over something like Mobil 1 or Castrol for instance?

Also any clues as to why Nissan don’t go with fully synthetic anyway?

As always thanks in advance guys. :thumbs:

If you go for the Pro S use 5w40 & yes its a better product that the others... all to do with its make up, if you feel like splashing out use the Motul 300V power which is also 5w40 I've used both in Impreza STi's & in both of the zeds their performance is far better that dealer mass oil. In the current car 19k miles the pressure is far more stable and higher when hot & pressing on than the oil the dealer once put in !!

Have a read here it may help..... http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/Are-synthetics-better.pdf

The Silkolene is a far superior oil, and will happily stay at 120 degrees all day long without breaking down! Full ESTER SYNTHETIC technology, a true PAO Synthetic!

The OEM spec says 10w 40 oil, aparently the tappets like a thicker blend or so Ive heard from the tecs at Nissan.

Hi guys,

Cheers for the advice, think I might look into the Motul 300v Power then but if not it will be the Silkolene. I notice the Motul talks about being for race cars but presume it's OK in normal performance road cars too!

Nissan Birmingham told me 5w30 but do you think they could have it wrong? Mines a 313 engine if that makes any difference?

Also do you know how much oil I would need, I thought 5 litres would be enough?

Thanks for your help :thumbs: