Bloody speeding, best way to appeal!!!!

shire350Z

Well thats my first speeding ticket in 8 years of driving and the best thing about it is, i was hardly what you'd call 'speeding' i was only going 42mph on a dual carrageway on the edge of sheffield but so iv heard from mates in sheff that it is a 30mph road but i saw no signs at all and theres was nothing on the road as it was about midnight, but 30 on a dual carrageway bloody ridculous. :angry:

Just wondered if anybody had gone down the appeal route and been successfull? to give me some pointers ;) id take it on the chin if i was going that speed on a single track road in a built up area or was going 60 but bloody 42 on a dual carrageway and not even in my Z in my dads range rover :rant::rant:

anyways help please guys and gals, thanks :thumbs:

What is there to appeal against? The limit was 30mph, you were doing 42mph by your own admission, I'm not sure what the problem is? Go back and check the road for the signs and if there are none then appeal away, if the signs are there as clear as day then suck it up and take it on the chin.

Tbh I'd call one ticket in 8 years pretty good going.

if you can, go back and check for any signs that may have been obscured by bushes etc, and takes photos, also isnt the distance between streetlights meant to indicate its a 30 zone?

Indeed, also a dual carriageway is only a dual carriageway if there is a central reservation barrier, else it's just a two-lane single carriageway and the lower speed limits often apply.

there is a reservation barrier, ill get back there with my camera ;)

Shire, Signs are only required to be displayed at intervals above 30mph. You will always find 30mph at the start of the 30mph zone but not necessarily after that. Go back over the road you travelled and check if there at least one set of set 30mph sign; if there arn't any maybe you have some grounds for an appeal, if there are you are stuffed!

Shire, Signs are only required to be displayed at intervals above 30mph. You will always find 30mph at the start of the 30mph zone but not necessarily after that. Go back over the road you travelled and check if there at least one set of set 30mph sign; if there arn't any maybe you have some grounds for an appeal, if there are you are stuffed!

I thought generally that if it is a 30, it should have lamposts for pedestrians...(hence why it's a 30) and that the speed limit must be displayed on every few lamposts?

cut the 30 sign down then take pic? :lol:

nah im only joking. cov is terrible for randomly posting speedlimits with very few/confusing signs at parts. i juts plod through being tailed cos im not going fast enough. we zedders shall not be rushed!

A year and a day after I passed my test I got done. It wasn't far into a 30 and the sign entering the 30 had been turned 90* and I was done. I had just bought a Saxo VTR (they weren't chav at that point..... :p ) and was terrified that if I appealed I'd end up getting made an example of.

Sometimes it's best to take it on the chin.

James, young lad driving Daddys Rangie might be frowned upon. I'd expect it be be if I was done driving my dads one! You could VERY easily end up worse off.....

Just by a truvelo never saw it or the signs just pi$$ed off by the 30 limit that varies from a 40

And that it was on a dual carrageway, but suppose its just one off those things, somebody told me you can do a days course instead off receiving the points so might look into that

No copper, just make sure I know the law so I can always stay the right side of it (well, in this country at least). ;)

Ekona is an outlaw now, well in france anyway, (he is the most sensible road driver i have ever come across, real stickler for following the law etc, just got unlucky in france) ;)

A year and a day after I passed my test I got done. It wasn't far into a 30 and the sign entering the 30 had been turned 90* and I was done. I had just bought a Saxo VTR (they weren't chav at that point..... :p )quote]

i thought saxo vtr's were always chav lol

Just by a truvelo never saw it or the signs just pi$$ed off by the 30 limit that varies from a 40

And that it was on a dual carrageway, but suppose its just one off those things, somebody told me you can do a days course instead off receiving the points so might look into that

Only if they do it in your area, and only if you're a fraction over i.e. 34 in a 30, so either way that's a no go. 3pts makes no difference to anything matey, especially if you haven't already got any points at all. It won't effect your insurance premium (although you WILL have to tell them), and you're a mile away from a ban.

Ekona is an outlaw now, well in france anyway, (he is the most sensible road driver i have ever come across, real stickler for following the law etc, just got unlucky in france) ;)

:blush::blush::blush:

It's sad, but it's true. Learnt my lesson over here a few years back now, got 3pts + £60 when I should've been looking at a ban for the speed I was doing, so promised myself I'd never get myself in that kind of position again.

I thought generally that if it is a 30, it should have lamposts for pedestrians...(hence why it's a 30) and that the speed limit must be displayed on every few lamposts?

I got caught some time ago and had the option of a speed awareness course. One of the the things that they cleared up was that just because a road has lamposts doesn't mean it is automatically a 30mph zone; 40/50 mph roads can have lamposts but they will be clearly marked with speed limit signs. If there is a 30mph road coming off a higher limit road it will have 30mph signs at the start of the road but not necessarily further down the road. Check next time you are out, I was quite suprised how little the number of 30mph signs there are after the intitial signs.

Lamposts with no signs dictates a 30MPH limit. If its higher there will be signs. As already said, when coming down into a 30 zone, there will also be signs, but not there after.

Think you've just been done James, and have to take the ticket. Unless you can prove the signage wasnt adequate. Can see how it easily happened being a dual carridgeway. This is why speeding itself shouldnt be a crime, it should be down to if its dangerous or not :rant:

Very true chris! Has anyone done one off these speed awareness course's instead off taking the 3points? Just wondered what it intailed?

Lots of patronising.......... :lol:

can imagine but if it saves me the 3points might try it, see what the lovely letter says :dry: