Is the BOSE system really naff?

M5Sime

Hi,

I know most of you reading the ICE mods page will have decided this is the case. The description of it in a review sounds pretty nifty.. I have found a last model year 313 bhp Zed, but non GT... As most would not touch this second hand because all people seem to want full GT spec and Rays then I am wondering just how 'good' or bad is the Bose that comes as part of the GT pack..... I had BOSE in my Audi A3 once and it was pretty good (ie better than standard stereo's, and good enough for the odd CD, a decent track on Radio1 and the odd Radio 4 session)..

See description below from a review of the 350z:

240-watt premium Bose six-CD audio system — tailored specifically for the 350Z — with a 10-inch woofer mounted right behind the driver.

The ultra-slim woofer is just one of seven speakers to be found in the 350Z's cabin. There are 1.5-inch tweeters in each A-pillar; 6.5-inch speakers in each door; and two 6.5-inch speakers mounted in the rear for extra depth. A six-channel digital amplifier is also mounted in the rear, providing customised equalisation and signal processing to each individual speaker for clear, more natural sounding music.

Cheers

Sime

Hiya

Well mine is a GT spec and I love the Bose - nothing wrong with it - some people say its not the best well compared to the Bose in my old RX8 - no it did'nt sound as good but then its comparing apples with oranges ... I love it and dont have an issue with it.

The reason most people go for GT cars is that as a higher spec car its easier to sell on - thats about it really nothing really to do with the stereo as such? Hope this helps?

Thanks Dan

I assume it must be OK, but as you say (and I have just started a new thread on the whole GT/non GT aspect), everyone goes GT for the resale and the fact the parts are worth having (Leather, elec seat and BOSE.. Cruise is not worth the button in the UK)

Br

Simon

Thanks Dan

I assume it must be OK, but as you say (and I have just started a new thread on the whole GT/non GT aspect), everyone goes GT for the resale and the fact the parts are worth having (Leather, elec seat and BOSE.. Cruise is not worth the button in the UK)

Br

Simon

Dan dan - whos Dan !!! :lol:

Dont worry about resale too much I only wanted mine as a GT as they did'nt have any other in Night Blue! But I wanted leather seats but you can get the standard ones retrimmed in Leather for £500 I think so its down to how much money you want to soend - but I do love the 313 engine its a cracker! :thumbs:

TBO I never had any complaint with my BOSE system either. The perfectionists in the ICE department for sure will be looking for more though but as standard fit systems go, it aint that bad :)

Very true for a factory fit system it is very good. As a system goes its quite bad no highes or no lows. The things the sqnuts and streetbassers play with are completly different.

The Bose seems ok to me as well. At the end of the day a car is not the best place to be listening to high class hi-fi. One of the biggest disappointments is the lack of Ipod connectivity.

i just bought one of those tape adapters that has a tape with a wire out of it. got it in sainsburys for a fiver. i wanted to listen to my iphone in the car to play music, but can't afford a new headunit at the moment.

have been really impressed with the tape adapter quality has been excellent and no hissing. i did learn that you need to turn the volume down on the MP3 otherwise it sounds terrible. but on a low volume, you can then control it through the steerin wheel and it sounds great. can tehn go as loud as i want and i still have all the bass and treble i want.

do remember that i have a hearing problem so maybe not the best judge of sound. but for a short term work around i've been really impressed.

For a factory system it isn't all that bad really. You can get some reasonable sound from it but the balance of the sound is all over the place. The sub is very limited and can either boom or be non existent at different frequencies. I found a set up that I found it listenable and others thought I'd had some work done but it was all original kit, just the right headunit settings (for me at least). I have certainly heard much worse in much more 'premium' marques, but it's not close to say the Volvo Dynaudio system. :)

one of the guys at work wwnt round benchamrking competitor vehicles sound systems to study the ability to reproduce sound clearly and the different characteristics of the systems. i asked him about bose systems in general before i bought the Zed. he said that the bose systems are good up untill the bass, where they only reproduce a small portion of the bass compared to others meaning they have a thudding quality for beats.. dont know if that makes sense?

one of the guys at work wwnt round benchamrking competitor vehicles sound systems to study the ability to reproduce sound clearly and the different characteristics of the systems. i asked him about bose systems in general before i bought the Zed. he said that the bose systems are good up untill the bass, where they only reproduce a small portion of the bass compared to others meaning they have a thudding quality for beats.. dont know if that makes sense?

There is a saying...... 'No highs? No lows? It must be BOSE'....... ;)