Plenum Spacer - which brand is recommended?

givememorepower

Been thinking about doing this for a while now. Watched the 'how to' on boob tube, and read previous posts. I've seen different opinions on brands, and don't have the spare cash to import from the US.

Which spacer is the best one for the job then?

Is silicone really necessary?

Will I need to pack my front strut brace on washers to get the engine cover back on?

Will I lose torque but increase bhp? ( I like torque )

Cheers.

Been thinking about doing this for a while now. Watched the 'how to' on boob tube, and read previous posts. I've seen different opinions on brands

Clearly you haven't, else you'd know the answers to your questions. :dry:

1. Motodyne

2. Silicone where?

3. No

4. No

Been thinking about doing this for a while now. Watched the 'how to' on boob tube, and read previous posts. I've seen different opinions on brands, and don't have the spare cash to import from the US.

Which spacer is the best one for the job then?

Is silicone really necessary?

Will I need to pack my front strut brace on washers to get the engine cover back on?

Will I lose torque but increase bhp? ( I like torque )

Cheers.

1) The most popular and favoured one is the Motordyne :)

2) Nope

3) Not normally - the Motordyne kit does include the washers if needed

4) Nope

Best Regards,

Gaz

Adam @ z-1 does and rate the AAM spacer highly too ;)

If you really want all the torque you can get then also consider Strongly the MREV 2 which is complemented by the spacer .....and I happen to have one on sale :teeth::teeth: would not last very long though :D

1. what year is the car ? A revup engine would really need the lower collector from the non revup, as well as the spacer to have it make a significant difference. The spacer alone on the revup engines still works, but not as effectively as the spacer coupled with the collector. Torque and hp increase as a result

2. any proper spacer will include the means necessary for strut brace clearance (AAM does for example). Some spacers are simply too large, and as such, the factory strut brace cannot be retained

3. there is no silicone involved in installation

1. what year is the car ? A revup engine would really need the lower collector from the non revup, as well as the spacer to have it make a significant difference. The spacer alone on the revup engines still works, but not as effectively as the spacer coupled with the collector. Torque and hp increase as a result

2. any proper spacer will include the means necessary for strut brace clearance (AAM does for example). Some spacers are simply too large, and as such, the factory strut brace cannot be retained

My car is a January 2006 model.

Never thought any sealant would be necessary if gaskets are used, but have read people having some air leakage considering this option.

What price range are the spacers please?

Cheers.

My car is a January 2006 model.

Never thought any sealant would be necessary if gaskets are used, but have read people having some air leakage considering this option.

What price range are the spacers please?

Cheers.

Is it a facelifted 2006 MY though? The one with 296bhp as this is the important factor in the year. If it is then the lower collector should be changed. If it isn't then it will not be necessary.

as Stew mentioned, if its a 296bhp engine, you're best bet is to also change the lower collector as well

if it's a 278bhp model, then the spacer alone works great, without needing to change anything else

there will not be any air leaks so long as you follow the torquing procedure in the instructions :) The kits we offer (AAM) come with all gaskets and required hardware, and are $300US shipped to your door

I am based in East/North Yorkshire, and my car is the Jan 2006 so no bonnet bulge, but all insurance companies say it's the 296 when I give them my Reg?? Any obvious indicators without a Dyno?

thanks.

Bonnet buldge is for the 07+ (309HP) ones. If you have a sliding cubby in the arm rest (rather than a popup one) and silver AC dials then you have the 296 :thumbs:

How long has it been fitted to your engine then?

hmm not that long my tuner blamed my fueling problems so had to take it out again. 3-4 months, 200 miles per week maybe, it does not really get 'stressed' under use, no moving parts etc.

:dummy: Might put it back on.

I'm doing a project where you can get a carbon plenum with a moulded in 5/16th plenum for around the £250 mark if your interested? May take a little time though as it's in the planning stage

And then you can sell your original plenum to bring the cost down. :thumbs: