Chrysler Crossfire

phinnies1

Anybody know much about the spec of a Crossfire?

I only ask because I was driving on Saturday and went past one and he decided he wanted to race me, I am pretty much past all that but the car is new to me so I thought what the hell! I have a standard Z with auto box, I have to say I could not shake him, we had to slow down for slower traffic but as they pulled over and I hit the gas he was right there, He even pulled closer at very top end speeds, it only lasted a couple of miles on main roads but I was unsure how a car with a 3.2 engine generating only 215 bhp could pull off this type of performance. Maybe modified or or they that fast?

They're 6.2 zero to sixty if i remember rightly...

Also, were you in sport mode or normal? And were you in tiptronic mode or normal auto??

Those 2 factors will massively affect your speed... for example in manual mode you can anticipate when you're gonna need power and drop down to 3rd or 2nd (at a roundabout for example) and then you have instant power - but in auto-mode you'd maybe lose 1 - 2 seconds as the brain decides which gear to pick.

...which is precisely the reason why i made my own paddle shifters, as manual mode is much quicker!

Also dont forget that you're never gonna lose him if he wants to race... most cars will always be there or there abouts if you're on a straight road - you just might make 30 yards or so when you're both accelerating, but at 80mph, you'll both be matched obviously. Difficult to explain what i mean...

I must admit I forgot all about power mode. Out of interest what difference does it make to the performance, I have not noticed a huge difference on the couple of occasions I have selected it?

And yes I made the mistake of leaving in auto when I should have clicked across to Tip to get a little more from the gear.

Confession time! :scare: I went to have a look at a couple as they are soooo cheap!

But when I noticed most of it was made from recycled platsic Ice cream tubs I walked well away! :surrender:

Shame I think they look ok but I hate the gay teeny weeny flip up spoiler at the back!

I must admit I forgot all about power mode. Out of interest what difference does it make to the performance, I have not noticed a huge difference on the couple of occasions I have selected it?

And yes I made the mistake of leaving in auto when I should have clicked across to Tip to get a little more from the gear.

I was the same as you - i got caught out against a mk2 civic type-R in a similar situation - then it dawned on me to use the tip.

Sport mode - increases the auto-gear change up to the red line if you're giving it some, and also increases throttle response.

Hmmmm

On the positive -

The car looks quite good, has a good engine note, is no slouch and comes withe every extra for about the same price as a ford focus lx (kidding.. slightly more but not when 12mths old !!! )

But the scales are tipped in the other direction... on the negative side on eth Joy of Chrysler ownership.....

It is the first time in engineering that any company has managed to combine yoghurt pots, tupperware, formica roll on wood, a collection of leftover 1970's chrysler bin parts.. a floored 1990 Merc chassis, 55p worth of USA road wallow spec suspension (that bad it feels like a 1970's leaf springed ford 'tina), An "old school" merc block that isn't too bad if a bit agricultural, alloys made of recycled 4the grade materials that oxidise the minute the showroom wax wears off, pointless cuts and gouges from the bodywork, sit up and beg dashboard, MFi clip together build quality.. (yes much worse than the 350's), switchgear that looks like it is off a £12 beko portable stereo etc etc etc .. i could go on but i won't..

but.. you know what.. i REALLY hate to admit this but.. i like it.. all the above said and all the known issues... i do like the Chrysler SRT's.. the crossfire SRT is rapid and V V cheap.. and the black 300c SRT estate with blacked out windows,wheels and grill was menacing looking... it cornered like the USS nimitz, used so much petrol i was convinced that someone had cut the fuel line but it was still strangely appealing....

:)

Im not that keen on the car to be honest, I dont know much about it, never been in one, I do remember thinking what the hell is that when I first saw one years ago and thought for about 5 seconds it may be quite a decent looking car then coming to my senses.

The thing I have found in this genre there are only a couple of cars which I would call an out and out mans car (as opposed to the womans or hairdressers car :D ) Firstly my apolgies to all Z lady owners but I dont think it can be denied that the Z is just a 'testosterone fueled out and out get your balls out on the workbench and hit them with a spanner' lump of metal and wires. I guess the Crossfire is the same breed albeit inferior quality. I cant think of many more.

(Note to self for next time, flick power switch and kncok into Tip mode to see said opponent disappear in mirror...Rookie error, never had an auto box before! :oops: )

Hmmmm

On the positive -

The car looks quite good, has a good engine note, is no slouch and comes withe every extra for about the same price as a ford focus lx (kidding.. slightly more but not when 12mths old !!! )

But the scales are tipped in the other direction... on the negative side on eth Joy of Chrysler ownership.....

It is the first time in engineering that any company has managed to combine yoghurt pots, tupperware, formica roll on wood, a collection of leftover 1970's chrysler bin parts.. a floored 1990 Merc chassis, 55p worth of USA road wallow spec suspension (that bad it feels like a 1970's leaf springed ford 'tina), An "old school" merc block that isn't too bad if a bit agricultural, alloys made of recycled 4the grade materials that oxidise the minute the showroom wax wears off, pointless cuts and gouges from the bodywork, sit up and beg dashboard, MFi clip together build quality.. (yes much worse than the 350's), switchgear that looks like it is off a £12 beko portable stereo etc etc etc .. i could go on but i won't..

but.. you know what.. i REALLY hate to admit this but.. i like it.. all the above said and all the known issues... i do like the Chrysler SRT's.. the crossfire SRT is rapid and V V cheap.. and the black 300c SRT estate with blacked out windows,wheels and grill was menacing looking... it cornered like the USS nimitz, used so much petrol i was convinced that someone had cut the fuel line but it was still strangely appealing....

:)

I agree with you mate - totally. I still hanker after a 300C in Black with Bentley grill with blacked out windows - just before I decided to buy a Zed and see the light .. I took a loan out was stood at the stealers forecourt on Saturday morning early looking at this black monster then suddenly my common sense kicked in and thought what the hell are you doing fool(In a Mr T accent!) drove to the bank and cancelled the loan! But I still love the look of them and the new alloys look better - they must have realised the flush polished alloys show up the corrosion after a week in the UK air so put some sandblasted spoked ones that look cool actually and yes the plastics are pants but sort of work and yes the diesel version is the one to go for (well for my 700 miles weekly trek) If they only did a soft top version!Imagine that! :blush: