F***ing Spark plugs

N1SM0350z

Yesterday I tried to change my spark plugs I knew where they were how to get ot them etc etc so having taken apart most of the engine bay I got to the plugs and could not get the Bast*d things out they were in there tight, I found a guide that said try heating the car up so I tried that and it did bugger all. Just wondered if anyone had any little tips etc on this. Ive put this on Bimmerforums but unless they want to slag you off or move your post you dont get many replies :lol:

Cheers :thumbs:

Yesterday I tried to change my spark plugs I knew where they were how to get ot them etc etc so having taken apart most of the engine bay I got to the plugs and could not get the Bast*d things out they were in there tight, I found a guide that said try heating the car up so I tried that and it did bugger all. Just wondered if anyone had any little tips etc on this. Ive put this on Bimmerforums but unless they want to slag you off or move your post you dont get many replies :lol:

Cheers :thumbs:

Spark plugs can sometimes be tight but providing that you have a proper plug socket, extension and bar and you are handy with the tools then they should come loose albeit sometimes with a loud crack. :thumbs:

I'll have you know I used plenty of elbow greese and Ive been eating plenty of weatabix, I was using a sparkplug tool, but you may aswell use your teeth with the amount of leverage you get with that thing :lol: I tried using a socket but didnt have a bit that would fit over the plug Im sure ive got one somewhere but was trying to see if there was a way to do it with out having to go n buy one to be used once, seems like I might have to. It doesnt help that they're down a sort of tunnel. Thanks for all the replies :thumbs:

Bimmerforums - there's a blast from the past! :lol: Thats where i cut my teeth in the car forum world, right after my first post on vwvortex with my mk3 golf, for which i got flamed to death and never went back!

You should try e46fanatics.com too - thats where i went after my e36.

You need the strength of a docker.....pity I live too far away to be of any immediate help...

What to be able to give one a lift over there?

And yes Keith, I hear mark spends lots of time "docking" during the day... :bye: (HIIIIII YAAAA... Oh that was more an Alan Carr Hiiii Yaaa than a Bruce Lee Hi Yaaa!!)

You need the strength of a docker.....pity I live too far away to be of any immediate help...

A Docker?! :scare: isnt docking something that strange men do togther??? :surrender:

Oh :scare: and to think I was drinking in a hotel bar with him just a few weeks ago, counting my lucky star *** now :lol:

Bimmerforums - there's a blast from the past! :lol: Thats where i cut my teeth in the car forum world, right after my first post on vwvortex with my mk3 golf, for which i got flamed to death and never went back!

You should try e46fanatics.com too - thats where i went after my e36.

Lol Cheers bud :thumbs:

you should be able to get a normal socket style one for the spark, then you can use an extension bar to get it down and then a nice big ratchet and you should be able to get a nice bit of torque to undo it

Yeh, I used an extension but the bit on the end wasnt deep enough to go over the plug and reach the bottom. (if you know what I mean?)

you should be able to get a normal socket style one for the spark, then you can use an extension bar to get it down and then a nice big ratchet and you should be able to get a nice bit of torque to undo it

Yeh, I used an extension but the bit on the end wasnt deep enough to go over the plug and reach the bottom. (if you know what I mean?)

Was it a long reach socket you used?

I dont know Im mechanically impared :blush::lol:

I had a normal socket set and put an extension on the end then I put the right size head(?) on the end but the head bit was only short so wouldnt fit over the plug. dont know if that clarified anythin :lol:

I dont know Im mechanically impared :blush::lol:

I had a normal socket set and put an extension on the end then I put the right size head(?) on the end but the head bit was only short so wouldnt fit over the plug. dont know if that clarified anythin :lol:

standard

902942.jpg

long

117659.jpg

Sounds like you've used a short socket with an extender. A long socket might give you a better fit.

You don't want to be using a normal long reach socket you want to use a specific spark plug one. The reason is once you have un-done the spark you need to get it out. A spark plug socket has a rubber section in it to hold onto the spark ...see below

spark_plug_socket.jpg

You don't want to be using a normal long reach socket you want to use a specific spark plug one. The reason is once you have un-done the spark you need to get it out. A spark plug socket has a rubber section in it to hold onto the spark ...see below

spark_plug_socket.jpg

Thanks! althought I do have a spark plug tool so once loosened could use this to get them out.

Don't want to throw a spanner in the works ;) mate but get a proper spark plug socket,it's not uncommon to break the electrode part off using normal sockets,be careful!

Agreed.

Get the proper tool and it is an easy job.

There are two sizes of spark plug socket, the smaller one is NORMALLY for motorcycles but not always. they are a couple of quid each from halfords (they make very good tools and their own brand are lifetime guaranteed.)

Not sure which one goes with the Zed but get both of 'em and the job will be easy.

My old guide is on here somewhere if its of any use.

Ming the Toolman