Order to Mods

ab350z

Just been speaking to a mate of mine who's in the process of modding his Golf GTi, thinks he's a bit of a modding god. Anyway, he's had a dig at me this morning claiming there is some bible written commandment about the order you have to do mods in, claiming wheels and suspension should always come first, followed by bodywork then performance. He's the kind of guy that wont listen to reason, just thought i'd see what you fine folk though.

Modding is a personal thing, so it's personal opinion on what you should do first. Fair enough if you were using the car on the track, then suspension and braking are the fundamentals, but for show then I think its up to the person modding.......although lowering and spacers are a must :lol:

R

It really depends on what car you have. If it already has very good handling and braking then why not do power first? Theres no reason not to. As the others have said, all things being equally matched, you would do suspension/wheels/tyres and brakes first before upgrading power. Exterior is completely up to the owner as to when to change it, again it depends on what they want to achieve.

Seems your mate is a bit of a sheep, being told to do things in an order, without using common sense to work out what acutally needs to be done :bangin:

I totally agree with you guys. The mods I've done have been a combination of what I could get my hands on at the time, what I can afford and what I wanted to do, never had a pre-defined route I wanted to go down, if I had it would have just changed all the time anyway.

Yeah he's a bit of a muppet, his car is currently on bricks as he swaps out all the Golf turbo parts for a mix of Audi TT and Leon bits before a remap.

Yeah he's a bit of a muppet, his car is currently on bricks as he swaps out all the Golf turbo parts for a mix of Audi TT and Leon bits before a remap.

lol..i never understand guys like this....why not just buy a good car to start with?!?!?

R

lol..i never understand guys like this....why not just buy a good car to start with?!?!?

R

Ironic that the lesser Leon parts are being used for the Golf :lol: You would expect the Golf to have the better parts to start with :bangin:

I know the golfs/leon and TT come from the same stable, but these Frankencars very seldom work as indended and are often seen grazing in the front gardens of council houses resting on the bricks they have been on for the past 5 years. :lol:

R

...claiming there is some bible written commandment about the order you have to do mods in...

There is no bible apart from the one you write yourself.

Personally, I'd say make sure you make the car stop faster before you make it faster.

I have obviously written my own bible, then read it, made a little fire in the garden and then burnt it, because now I know the truth...

...and the truth is that Carbon Fibre comes before EVERYTHING!!!!

Ironic that the lesser Leon parts are being used for the Golf :lol: You would expect the Golf to have the better parts to start with :bangin:

I wouldn't call Leon a lesser car (I'm an ex Leon owner ;) ), it has the same 1.8 engine as the Golf but on the Cupra R you have the bigger turbo, intercooler etc as on the S3.

I wouldn't call Leon a lesser car (I'm an ex Leon owner ;) ), it has the same 1.8 engine as the Golf but on the Cupra R you have the bigger turbo, intercooler etc as on the S3.

Yeah this is exactly what he's doing, Leon downpipe etc and the turbo from a 225 TT i believe. Then a remap.

Yeah this is exactly what he's doing, Leon downpipe etc and the turbo from a 225 TT i believe. Then a remap.

I'm an ex Leon owner too. Thats what made me laugh though, we know its not a lesser car, but funny that it should have better bits than the Golf! Guess its an easy upgrade path for a Golf as so many Leon owners upgrade their bits so it would hopefully work out cheap to get the bits for the Golf

Well he's wrong because everyone knows the first mod is under car lighting followed by imitation dump valve..... :dummy:

Makes no difference at all. My first thing was the engine bay and ICE because that's what I wanted to do. Then bodywork and brakes then final will be wheels and suspension. So completey different! :lol:

Doesn't matter what order i do them in my bank account doesn't appreciate them!!!! The fact that i cant tell my gf that i have put on a new mod is just ridiculoius!! she still thinks my exhuast is playing up as it got significantly louder over night :scare: