No.Plate law change - 1st June

M350ZB

Indeed, they don't want you evading the massive increase in ANPR cameras on the motorways, and all that average speed stuff. :thumbdown:

That is spot on. But I have wondered if the Alfa's and Evo's that have the square plates mounted on the nearside are legal and picked up by the cash machines :dry:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pulled twice now for plates. Once with my Prelude import, cops had the rulers out and everything, and for the Z a couple weeks back. Both times have just been warnings and the promise that "next time we'll throw the book at you". Never changed the plates on the Prelude, but I have removed the stopper on the Z plates. I was told both plates need a BS number in the bottom right (British Standard or something like that)

They also have to display the postcode of the retailer that made them - so they can follow it up if they are knocking out plates that are non standard to customers who believe they are standard.

As the ANPR system is so widely used now, the measures are being taken to ensure that all vehicles plates are able to be read by the system - no doubt with some government "anti terror" initiative pushing it.

Because of course, you average terrorist is certain to drive a vehicle registered to their correct address, in their correct name, with correct tax and insurance. Alternatively they may just buy a plate online in the legal font, with a registration that matches that of a 76 year old womans fiesta 200 miles away :dry:

Oh and lets not forget motorbikes! Those forward facing ANPR cameras make a sterling job of tracking those too...

Easier just to conform.

ANPR will be stopping criminals and illegal motorists, Im all for it! :thumbs:

Exactly how does it catch people with cloned plates?

What about those who have bought the vehicle and never sent off the documents to register it in their name.

ANPR is only as good as the information stored in the database behind it.

For example...If I go and find another standard black seat altea somewhere in the country, make a note of its registration and then fit those number plates to my standard black seat altea, then proceed to committ criminal activities using that car, how will ANPR help track me down?

What if I never send off the slip to register the car in my name when I buy one second hand - or provide the private seller with the name and address of an individual that I know from my previous research owns that exact same make and model of car, rather than my own address. Copy the plates again, and away we go...

Although terrorirsts probably arent blessed with cerebrums full to bursting, they can probably muster enough intellgence not to use a car registered to their own home address and in their name if they plan on committing crime.

My view is that ANPR is being used on the whole to catch the majority of law abiding citizens who slip up once in a blue moon, while all the time it is being pushed because it "helps fight crime".

What about safety? The single group of motorists most at risk of death on our roads are motorcyclists. According to the department of transport, although motorcycles account for less than 1% of vehicle traffic in the UK, their riders suffer 14% of total deaths and serious injuries on Britain’s roads.

If speed kills, and average speed cameras (ANPR based) are used to reduce speed, then why are they all forward facing? A massive investment has been made in this technology for use in average speed cameras, yet the single group most at risk of death on our roads are completely invisible to them.... Why?

ANPR will be stopping criminals and illegal motorists, Im all for it! :thumbs:

Well yes, but ANPR also suffers from huge amounts of "mission creep" into generating fine money and making hundreds of people watch their speedo on the motorway instead of the road.

Make no mistake guys, ANPR can read any plate in any format within reason. As long as its using a standard font on the white plate it will be able to read it whereever it is on the front of the car. The OCR systems these things use are no simple, they take an image and get the plates from them, they can find them anywhere in the image (I did image regocnition and OCR at uni). And I see these systems purely as revenue generators as Chris rightly points out. They do not stop terrorists or motorists commiting crimes, except for those completely inept to understand what they do. Cloning plates is a piece of pi$$ in most cases as you can get them off the net. Unless a copper stops you they wont know its not legit unless they lookup the postcode of where it was made. Its all about stinging Joe Bloggs when he makes a simple mistake :thumbdown: Although I do appreciate it takes compelete retards who have no insurance or tax etc off the road.

• 3 weeks later...

I got asked to pull to the side of the road last night, the copper already had someone pulled over from the ANPR in the car at some traffic lights and his colleague was on the roadside, he smiled, extended his didget and pointed at my car and then the pavement so thought I would stop for a little chat...

He said "lovely car sir, didnt realise they made these before 1973, it looks in amazing condition" "but... if this is a pre 73 car you cant have a 53 plate on it so either your on stolen plates or you have you have an explanation!" I explained that I had forgotten to swap the plate over from being at a show, but then showed him I had the legit plate in the boot to swap it over as soon as I got home and got some double sided tape....

I had a chat with him about the law on plates and he wasnt aware of any changes and as far as he was concerened it was a £30 fine no points. I asked him about the July the 1st (it wasnt june the 1st as previously written) and he had no idea if there was a planned change in the law due to happen.... But then he said that the laws didnt get filtered down straight away and he may have missed an email or 10 regarding such changes....

I also asked him about smaller plates and ones that were spaced incorectly.... he said "I wish people that did it would stop dicking about and wasting our time, its a number plate and most of them look crap when they are trying to make a name that isnt really there or is only relevant to the person driving the car... If its a good vanity plate that costs a fair few £ cause you dont have to space it then fair enough, if your trying to make a name out of some letters and numbers and you need to space them and use a coloured bolt then dont bother as you will get pulled at somepoint and you will be wasting our time when we should be out policing rather than having to give people a slap on the wrist"

There are loads of reasons why and one of the main reasons is eye witnesses being able to identify cars after accidents and hit and runs... if they cant read the plate then what chance have the got of getting the driver?...

The only reason I have a black and silver plate is cause it suits the car, I cant understand it as the ANPR's and other devices can pick up the plate.... But for now on the roads I will be going back to the normal ones for day to day driving!! Just got to get the bracket sorted now so I dont have to use tape!

Intresting write up 3FIDDYZ (mark), i take it you didnt get a fixed penaulty notice, fine or anything then ?, where did you get pulled, essex or kent police. Its an intresting one to say the least, as as stew said nothing is freely available, to clearly state the law change.

So you changing your plates for proper (legal) ones now then bud ?

Everything you need to know is here ;)

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leafle ... plates.pdf

The police at Chester did indicate a law change from June 1st but not sure if this is correct or not. :)

Wish there was some info regarding points and fines (new information-apparent law change-june 09), still cant really find anything on line :wacko:

Just phone the DVLA.............

Everything you need to know is here ;)

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leafle ... plates.pdf

The police at Chester did indicate a law change from June 1st but not sure if this is correct or not. :)

Wish there was some info regarding points and fines (new information-apparent law change-june 09), still cant really find anything on line :wacko:

Just phone the DVLA.............

Indeedy, they will put you straight.

Personally, I agree with a strict line on plates. Make them all the same size and spacing, and we can all just get on with enjoying the car rather than coppers pulling everyone and having a moan. They can get rid of scum with no insurnace, which means if someone hits mean, I will at lease be able to claim against them and not have to claim off my insurance which does away with my no claims! This also means the DVLA cant sell plates with different prices too as they cant spell anything, they should all be a set price. And that will never happen :dry:

This also means the DVLA cant sell plates with different prices too as they cant spell anything, they should all be a set price. And that will never happen :dry:

I 100% agree with this, at the end of the day, imo its a way of making easy money ......

Surrey Police have been doing Operation QUAKE in the Reigate/Bansted/surrey areas this summer targeting NO MOT, uninsured, untaxed etc vehicles, and yesterday walked past a driver of a BMW who had a number plate with odd spaces in it, needless to say, I overheard the officer telling him that he was reporting him for the plate and a fine and points were going to result :surrender::scare:

You have been Warned.

Jerry

when i fit my kit i was looking at using the original number plate, but cutting it down so it fits better, is this something i'll get away with or will i find myself in trouble. to be honest i'd rather fit no plate at all on the front, keep it in the boot and say it fell off. but its not worth the risk i suppose.

when i fit my kit i was looking at using the original number plate, but cutting it down so it fits better, is this something i'll get away with or will i find myself in trouble. to be honest i'd rather fit no plate at all on the front, keep it in the boot and say it fell off. but its not worth the risk i suppose.

Not worth the risk with a zero tolerance in effect.