new iphone release this summer!!!

hotrain69

now i have to admit, i am a massive apple fan, even though they know exactly how to work their customers to get the most money out of them constantly!! but i love their products and the one in particular is the iphone. i know there are loads of debates about it, but personally i just love them.

i've been reading alot of rumours around that they will be releasing a new and improved iphone this summer which will fix some or most of the shortcomings of the existing one. in particular new camera, video record mode, better bluetooth and faster 3g internet. now i cant even complain about the existing internet speed as being slow.

but that got me thinking. when it comes out, it will just be something i HAVE to get! but like many people when they brought out the 3g last summer, i already had the old one and had to sign another 18 month contract with them. it is obvious that the 18month is not going to expire at the time that bring out the new one this summer. therefore i just want to know how o2 are going to do this, i'm not even sure they still will have the monopoly over the supply! are they going to let existing customers on a unbreakable 18 month contract change and get a new iphone? surely they have to???

I'm an Gen1 iPhone owner myself, bought mine off eBay from the US when they first came out, thus not needing the dependancy of network providers in the UK.

I too am interested in the next iPhone model when it makes an appearance, especially after I heard that it could be the "iPhone Nano", now that would be something special.

I'd heard that they wasn't going to bring out a new iphone itself but to make one massive upgrade downloadable through iTunes, apparently over 100 upgrades, but if you are right and they are bringing out a new iphone ill certainly swap to it

I too am interested in the next iPhone model when it makes an appearance, especially after I heard that it could be the "iPhone Nano", now that would be something special.

A Nano version would be rubbish, as the main attraction of the iPhone is the decent screen size. Any smaller and it'd be a waste of time.

I believe there's an annual keynote speech planned for June anyway, so expect it to be announced then with a release in July, and regular stock to be around November time if it's popularity is anything like the 3G. You won't be breaking an existing 18month contract, they'll simply sign you up for another 18 months and charge you an extortionate upgrade fee if you only got the 3G within the last 6 months. Well, that's my guess anyway, but tbh if you've got a 3G I can't really see what the iPhone 3 will have that would entice you to upgrade anyway: Certainly the 3G didn't do that much over the 1G, hence I've still got my trusty 8GB one.

I'd heard that they wasn't going to bring out a new iphone itself but to make one massive upgrade downloadable through iTunes, apparently over 100 upgrades,

The 3.0 firmware will be along in a few months, yes.

A Nano version would be rubbish, as the main attraction of the iPhone is the decent screen size. Any smaller and it'd be a waste of time.

I believe there's an annual keynote speech planned for June anyway, so expect it to be announced then with a release in July, and regular stock to be around November time if it's popularity is anything like the 3G. You won't be breaking an existing 18month contract, they'll simply sign you up for another 18 months and charge you an extortionate upgrade fee if you only got the 3G within the last 6 months. Well, that's my guess anyway, but tbh if you've got a 3G I can't really see what the iPhone 3 will have that would entice you to upgrade anyway: Certainly the 3G didn't do that much over the 1G, hence I've still got my trusty 8GB one.

I'd heard that they wasn't going to bring out a new iphone itself but to make one massive upgrade downloadable through iTunes, apparently over 100 upgrades,

The 3.0 firmware will be along in a few months, yes.

so the firmware 3.0 will be downloadable onto the current iphone 3g then? that would make things better.

i'd still probably want the new one when it comes out just because!!! yeh nano iphone wouldn't be great as i particularly like the screen size which makes surfing the net on the move soooo easy. and they said that internet speed would be even faster and bluetooth much better. which would be great for me ice, as the current bluetooth hookup is rubbish! can't wait to get my hands on the new iphone. but probably wont rush out like i did last time if 3.0 update is available to current 3g's

i have 3g got it in feb, and won't be upgrading,

my contract runs out in september next year, so i'll just wait and see whats out then, i love my iphone, but i'm not silly enough to spend cash just for the ske of it.

You won't be breaking an existing 18month contract, they'll simply sign you up for another 18 months and charge you an extortionate upgrade fee if you only got the 3G within the last 6 months.

Thats pretty much how it will play out, the cost of the upgrade is dictated pretty much by Apple themselves as originally O2 werent allowed to subsidise them. They can now but not sure they will with a brand new model, so a lot of it will likely be down to your monthly spend as to how much the upgrade costs, but it wont be cheap :ninja:

Nah, windows mobile all the way!!! Free roms for my HTC thanks!

:lol::lol: Yeah me too but i am sick of changing roms pretty much every day as new ones get released.....currently on wm 6.5 on my htc hd....

Looks like im going to check out the nokia n97 next as it looks sexier than a midget wearing a thong

I will probably end up getting one as an upgrade from the current iPhone 3G but don't go expecting anything amazing. Its pretty definate that the major changes are just 3.2MP autofocus camera (wow still only 5 years behind every other phone), 32GB, compass, FM transmitter, faster CPU (600MHz to 400Mhz) in the same size casing as before....BUT the same battery. Unless they have got some bloody good chip designers I bet its going to mean even shorter battery life than the current model

i.e. nothing amazing. IMO the major progress will all be in the 3.0 software which a free upgrade on the iPhone anyway.

I will probably end up getting one as an upgrade from the current iPhone 3G but don't go expecting anything amazing. Its pretty definate that the major changes are just 3.2MP autofocus camera (wow still only 5 years behind every other phone), 32GB, compass, FM transmitter, faster CPU (600MHz to 400Mhz) in the same size casing as before....BUT the same battery. Unless they have got some bloody good chip designers I bet its going to mean even shorter battery life than the current model

i.e. nothing amazing. IMO the major progress will all be in the 3.0 software which a free upgrade on the iPhone anyway.

have to agree with you, battery life really isnt great! but luckily i plug mine in the car and that keeps it charged most of the time.

still looking forward to it though.

Well here's a grumpy old man waiting to get shot down in flames, but to me a phone is for making and receiving calls, why anyone would want hundreds of different applications on their phone eludes me, playing the piano and a drum kit, get a life. Save your money and spend it on the ZED.

Well here's a grumpy old man waiting to get shot down in flames, but to me a phone is for making and receiving calls, why anyone would want hundreds of different applications on their phone eludes me, playing the piano and a drum kit, get a life. Save your money and spend it on the ZED.

lol - Why would anyone need a 3.5L engines car just to go from A-B :teeth:

Many many useful apps out there i.e. SatNav - why have to carry round a bulky thing when you have one on your phone (or spend Stuuupid money on poor implementations from manufacturers)

Many many useful apps out there i.e. SatNav - why have to carry round a bulky thing when you have one on your phone (or spend Stuuupid money on poor implementations from manufacturers)

Keep shooting still not convinced

Keep shooting still not convinced

Cant you get OBD for the iPhone? Sure I saw that, or some other 3rd party app for piggy back ECU readouts. Now thats cool B)

i personally use my iphone quite alot, use it as an ipod when going gym or train, plug it into the car when driving, bluetooth for handsfree. do alot of waiting around for people and on trains the internet is awesome. catch up on emails when i can. it's just a very useful bit of kit in my opinion. had to get rid of my last one for a bit and when waiting for the new one to come along i just felt lost without it sometimes.

Cant you get OBD for the iPhone? Sure I saw that, or some other 3rd party app for piggy back ECU readouts. Now thats cool B)

Apps are starting to appear - this is one of the better ones - http://devtoaster.com/products/rev/index.html although you obviously need the ODB-II interface.

Its going to be interesting to see what people start developing using 3.0 now that you can work the other way i.e. you could use your iPhone to control all the bits on the car. Dock the phone then use it to control all the AV etc.

Flight Control and Bejewelled 2. These are the reasons to buy an iPhone.

Oh yeah, and pr0n looks so much better on the iPhone screen than any other phone out there. Gets you some weird looks down the gym, mind.