Tuning and Mapping - Car is in now...

3FIDDYZ

Reet, thought I would set this little thread up to keep a diary of the install and findings of having the car tuned and mapped.

I think normally this type of thing takes a day or so to get fitted and tuned, but Gary has my car for about 8 days.. (due to pick up just before wales) so he can have a good play and really get to grips with the car and where extra power can be found from the mods that I have currently and in his opinion see if he can find areas where there could be additional gains.

Process whilst its there.

1) The car is being serviced (p2) and then new plugs fitted.

2) Dyno run against my previous run done last year when just plenum and typhoon were fitted

3) Fitting the piggyback

4) tuned with dyno run

This will then give an idea of what is possible from the mods most people do to the Zed

5) Fujitsubo manifolds fitted

6) tuned with dyno run

This will then give an idea of what bonus power the manifolds will give if any....

Once this has been done am sure he will be able to work out what numbers further mods like cams will give on my engine... It will also give him a chance to have a good play and he may get some other "parts" to have a play with and see how they perform...

The point of all of this is to get as much power out the the mods I have put on the car and to make sure I am going in the right direction before I go down the FI route.... Its also to find out if the unichip can do the job for N/A and to give an idea of what rough numbers are available. He has been working with Unichip on the setup and I understand that the main tuner from unichip is going to be going down to make sure its being used to its full potential.. If that dosnt work then he also has some other options open to him down there...

Will update this more when I get the car back or he calls me and lets me know anything and then will put some updates up when I have had the car for a bit. Hopefully will be able to offer some proof up in wales in the flesh!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and A MASSSIVVVVEEEE HUGE thanks to Andy for going out of his way and coming down with me and bringing me back. You my friend are a true gent :) I knew I had forgotten to mention something :blush: !

You know where I am when the favor needs repaying.... I think you have a couple in the bank now!

I sincerely hope that the the main Unichip tuner is not from Dastek. :scare:

Not sure mate, think Gary mentioned he was south african, and was supposed to be here over the next week or so. I also belive there have been some recent improvements / changes to the equipment which is why a number of the UK tuners were invited over to a workshop in south africa in the winter... If you have any info on this please can you PM me so I know what to look out for :)

Not sure mate, think Gary mentioned he was south african, and was supposed to be here over the next week or so. I also belive there have been some recent improvements / changes to the equipment which is why a number of the UK tuners were invited over to a workshop in south africa in the winter... If you have any info on this please can you PM me so I know what to look out for :)

The Unichip will be fine for n/a applications but you will have to swop out once you go f/i mate.

All your stuff went off to Gary this morning so should be with him tomoz. :thumbs:

Good luck mate, be interested to see the results and what costs are involved going with the Unichip vs say the reflash that RSTuning will be offering soon. I can see we will need a comparison chart giving the pros and cons of each, but I guess the main factor for most will be price.

If you go FI sooner rather than later, shotgun your Unichip :teeth:

The Unichip will be fine for n/a applications but you will have to swop out once you go f/i mate.

All your stuff went off to Gary this morning so should be with him tomoz. :thumbs:

Funny enough thats what Gary said!! I did however say if he broke my engine whilst playing with it (chances are slim...but needed a gtee!) he would be doing an engine swap with a 700bhp RB engine he had sat in the corner!! Or I would be driving out in the Bayside blue R-34 that runs close to 1000...

Thanks for getting the bits out mate, appriciate that. Suspension will all be sorted too with those and the other bits :) !

that's what I was thinking too... I hope you are doing those mods knowing most of them won't be useable on FI! (manifolds, CAI) Also same story for the piggyback!!

GL, let us know the results

Why Alex,

My UNichip has always functionned fine?

pretty much the worst piggyback solution for F/I imo, APS included it in their kit so they could sell the kit as a "complete" kitbut it's never really been up to decent standards, tbh. Just check how many people in the US without internals are actually running with the unichip that comes with the APS kit :)

Which one you run then?

I'm getting rather bored of this..Let me paraphrase you..

....I believe someone with good unichip experience ... would easily be able to make a safe conservative tune on a TT kit with no internals :)

Sounds nothing like your original statement!

In fact very confused logic.

I'm getting rather bored of this..Let me paraphrase you..

....I believe someone with good unichip experience ... would easily be able to make a safe conservative tune on a TT kit with no internals :)

Sounds nothing like your original statement!

In fact very confused logic.

What hes saying is that although it wont do the best job in the world (ie wont get you the best tune, most power, best torque curve) it will get you a safe tune that wont damage the engine, if the tuner knows the unichip well.