Does 350z car colour affect it's value?

D350z

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats because my equation is relative to residual values and not the speed at which you will be able to sell it ;)

And demand has no effect on residual values, eh? :lol:

But demand has to exceed supply to keep residuals strong, which is why GM and Silver zeds lose more money because there are so many of them. ;)

There is a massive demand for orange Gallardo's but because the supply is so short, the residuals will be stronger than on a colour that is ten-a-penny.

I rest my case. Next :p

Thats because my equation is relative to residual values and not the speed at which you will be able to sell it ;)

But demand has to exceed supply to keep residuals strong, which is why GM and Silver zeds lose more money because there are so many of them. ;)

There is a massive demand for orange Gallardo's but because the supply is so short, the residuals will be stronger than on a colour that is ten-a-penny.

Comparing Gallardos and Zeds is like comparing apples and oranges (if you'll pardon the pun ;) ) and wholly irrelevant. All that matters is the ratio of cars to demand and I've not seen anything yet to convince me that GM and silver Zeds have such an out of kilter balance that there is any significant deficit between them and all of the other colours (not just black and blue) (apart from Sarnie's inherent bias against them, of course).

Bored now, going to bed. :bye:

Comparing Gallardos and Zeds is like comparing apples and oranges (if you'll pardon the pun ;) ) and wholly irrelevant. All that matters is the ratio of cars to demand and I've not seen anything yet to convince me that GM and silver Zeds have such an out of kilter balance that there is any significant deficit between them and all of the other colours (not just black and blue) (apart from Sarnie's inherent bias against them, of course).

Roughly translated into:

"Sarnie's right and I don't want to admit it as I've had a silver and GM zed, so I'm going to bed now. Might kick the cat on the way."

:lol:

:lol::lol:

Actually i have to say, irrespective of value - when i was looking for a zed within a specific budget I went to an importer because the only ones on the market here I could afford were grey or silver and i didn't want that colour. I couldn't get any other colour in my price bracket 2 years ago. Nothing against those colours, just my choice.

Roughly translated into:

"Sarnie's right and I don't want to admit it as I've had a silver and GM zed, so I'm going to bed now. Might kick the cat on the way."

:lol:

:lol: If it makes you feel better, lad.

PS Don't have a cat and if I kicked Kat I really would have a problem!

Perhaps in the years to come colour may come into it a bit more, as muppets write them off one by one. The number of times I've seen posts for people looking for a certain colour Z32, Z31, or a 240/260/280, and holding out for it, and prepared to pay more to get what they want.

That being said, our Z33's are mass produced, 250k (if the numbers I've heard recently are true), so rarity effecting price doesn't really come into it as perhaps a Zonda, a very rare Ferrari or Bugatti etc.

Perhaps the colour of the cars we drives effects us more than we realise.

Colour plays IMO a large part in the choice of a car.

I was only willing to buy a Z that was susnset, azure or white, and the only one i could find that i could afford at the time was a suset.

There were Zeds for sale in other colours at less money/better spec/less miles, but i wasnt interested in a grey one.

Prices are completely dependant on peoples priorities, ive always managed to sell my cars over the odds price wise in the past as i have sold to people that 'really' wanted my exact car/ spec.

Its all model dependant.

From my research, you will almost certainly pay a premium on Yellow Gallardos - even if they are one of the most popular/common colours along with Black. I dont think the Orange necesarily commands a premium, other than the fact there are less made and therefor you wont get the same variation with sellers (if there are less orange owners, there will be less oranges being sold by people who need the cash fast) the sellers are not necessarily pricing them higer because of the colour. The price variation on the same colour same year can be several £K, it all depends on what the seller decides to put their car up for. You can pick orange ones up for the same money as yellows and blacks now.

You could possibly still sell orange Gallardos for more than the other colours, but as previously acknowledged, the audience will be smaller, and the speed at which it sells may be drastically affected by that.

Also, look at Ferrari - Red is by far and above the most common colour, so logic would dictate that it should be the cheapest, yet you can pay anything up to a £10k+ premium for the same model, same year, same milage car, just because it is in Red.

I have always fallen into the camp that believe certain models/brands should be bought in certain colours. Ferraris should be red, Lamborghini's should be yellow, dodge vipers should be blue with white stripes and so on....

The Z in my opinion doesnt have this stigma, and therefor the quality of the car will have far more say in its sale price than the colour.

/2p

Yup colour makes all the difference. The more popular the colour the less you will get.

I don't agree. I've never seen a Temper Orange on the road and when they are advertised they seem to be cheaper. IMHO this is because its a poo colour and very few people want it. Very rare but worth less rather than more.

Its not as simple as saying that the rare colours command more. Its more specific to the blacks and probably the Azures.

As for there being lots of silvers and greys, thats because they are more popular as colours - yes there are more second hand ones but there are also more potential buyers so it won't depress values as suggested.

Harsh :rant:

Yup colour makes all the difference. The more popular the colour the less you will get.

I don't agree. I've never seen a Temper Orange on the road and when they are advertised they seem to be cheaper. IMHO this is because its a poo colour and very few people want it. Very rare but worth less rather than more.

Its not as simple as saying that the rare colours command more. Its more specific to the blacks and probably the Azures.

As for there being lots of silvers and greys, thats because they are more popular as colours - yes there are more second hand ones but there are also more potential buyers so it won't depress values as suggested.

Harsh :rant:

If it helps i quite like the Temer Orange :)

the sellers are not necessarily pricing them higer because of the colour.

/2p

I paid well over the odds for the G just because it was orange, I wanted it that much I paid it...........but.....I listed mine for sale £10k more expensive than other similar cars for sale 100% purely because it was orange.....and it sold in two weeks......

The market is smaller but imo its stronger. Just like with my UY, one phone call, one viewer, car sold.

Ferrari's are the most colour sensitive cars out there. Just look at all the silver and argento blue 355's,360's and 430's at the cheap end of an autotrader search. I always thought I'd buy a Ferrari in red but after the 430 I hated it with a passion, couldn't get rid of it quick enough, and the crema interior was :yuck:

The thing to remember about most cars is they better in some colours than others. For example while a lambo looks great in orange it wouldn't look right in red. But a Ferrari looks great in red but would look terrible in orange.

The Zed is one of those few cars that looks great in every colour it was released in. Some will have a preference but there is no such thing as a bad colour on a Zed. Therefore I don't think colour affects price so much.

The thing to remember about most cars is they better in some colours than others. For example while a lambo looks great in orange it wouldn't look right in red. But a Ferrari looks great in red but would look terrible in orange.

The Zed is one of those few cars that looks great in every colour it was released in. Some will have a preference but there is no such thing as a bad colour on a Zed. Therefore I don't think colour affects price so much.

There is one colour that I am not keen on, and that is that 'salmon one' they introduced in 2007. Sorry, no offence intended to anyone that has that colour.

Colour is a personal choice. You have what you like and not what everyone else thinks is nice. My nextdoor neighbour has just bought a bright green car which to say the least is not my chice of colour :yuck: . However, when buying a car it is a bit like buying a house. How easy could I sell it? Beauty is in the eye on the beholder. Find someone who wants a certain colour and they will pay over and above for it.

I had a choice between a black and a GM zed, both fairly similar specs...i chose the GM because I liked it, no other reason apart from maybe its a bit easier to clean and it was in very good condition. Its all down to how much someone is willing to pay for it, for example there might be only 10 people in 100 who would drive around in a yellow zed where as perhaps 60 out of 100 who would drive GM. I think milage, FSH and general standard of care outweights the colour. Although there will always be people who are set on a colour and that will be all they will look for.

R