Does 350z car colour affect it's value?

D350z

I had a choice between a black and a GM zed, both fairly similar specs...i chose the GM because I liked it, no other reason apart from maybe its a bit easier to clean and it was in very good condition. Its all down to how much someone is willing to pay for it, for example there might be only 10 people in 100 who would drive around in a yellow zed where as perhaps 60 out of 100 who would drive GM. I think milage, FSH and general standard of care outweights the colour. Although there will always be people who are set on a colour and that will be all they will look for.

R

But those 10 out of 100 would pay more for the priviledge hence why they go for more. ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it came down to money in the end. I was not prepared to pay £3k over the odds for a Night Blue car. I spoke to the sales director of the Nissan dealership and offered cash there and then if he price matched Evans Halshaw and he wasn't even prepared to budge £500. I expect they may have paid too much for the car and are hanging on to a dream rather than cut their losses. Or maybe my dealer made a boo boo on the sale price.

I'm quite liking the look of the Twiglet (twilight) Grey after all. It will be easier to keep clean with no swirl marks etc.

After setting this controversial post on it's way I have read the banter with interest and from what I can make out the most obvious answer to the question has yet to be raised. If the proportion of buyers that select each of the car colours when new is the same as the proportion of buyers selecting similar colours on the second hand market then everything should be fine. For example, if 8% of new cars are ordered in the Chili Pepper colour, then 8% of the second hand market buyers should be looking for the same colour and 8% of the supply should be Chili also. That argument assumes that the supply level is regular for all colours. If for instance owning a grey car upsets more owners and forces them to sell their car early we may see a pulse of low mileage grey cars on the market at the same time outstripping demand. This in turn will force the price down and I get lucky:)

Damien.

After setting this controversial post on it's way I have read the banter with interest and from what I can make out the most obvious answer to the question has yet to be raised. If the proportion of buyers that select each of the car colours when new is the same as the proportion of buyers selecting similar colours on the second hand market then everything should be fine. For example, if 8% of new cars are ordered in the Chili Pepper colour, then 8% of the second hand market buyers should be looking for the same colour and 8% of the supply should be Chili also. That argument assumes that the supply level is regular for all colours. If for instance owning a grey car upsets more owners and forces them to sell their car early we may see a pulse of low mileage grey cars on the market at the same time outstripping demand. This in turn will force the price down and I get lucky:)

Damien.

I disagree. For the second hand market to be flooded with grey & silver cars then they have to be bought new at some point. I think when people buy new they go with a 'safe' colour like grey/silver that they can get rid of easily..........that will explain why there are fewer chilli's & azures about. When buying second hand (someone else has taken the percieved hit) people are more daring with their colour.... all imo of course :lol:

Thats your cue Digsy :p

To answer the thread title, for Zeds, no it doesn't. For other marques, it can do massively. Ask my Dad how much he got rid of a yellow 1.8 boggo Volvo S40 for compared to it's more sedate cousins on the forecourt! :lol:

i wanted a colour no1 had and be rare, and in 1 year in owning my car, i have only ever seen 1 more red zed on road :D

Don't go to the US, or you will cry. ;) Love red though. :cloud9:

I disagree. For the second hand market to be flooded with grey & silver cars then they have to be bought new at some point. I think when people buy new they go with a 'safe' colour like grey/silver that they can get rid of easily..........that will explain why there are fewer chilli's & azures about. When buying second hand (someone else has taken the percieved hit) people are more daring with their colour.... all imo of course :lol:

Lol, there's thousands of Zed owners that blow that theory of out the water. Look at the number on this forum alone. ;)

i wanted a colour no1 had and be rare, and in 1 year in owning my car, i have only ever seen 1 more red zed on road :D

Don't go to the US, or you will cry. ;) Love red though. :cloud9:

Lol, there's thousands of Zed owners that blow that theory of out the water. Look at the number on this forum alone. ;)

Funny, as I just looked at the updated Wales list and there are far more bright Zeds than I thought. I thought there would be far more GMs etc. SO my conclusion is type of people that buy cars and join forums will buy a bright car but non forum members buy safe.......

Then you look at the ABZed mini meet pics and see 6 GMs and 2 Azures! :wacko:

Thing is, i thougth azure was pretty common?

Well it's not rare...... But the colours were very limited....

I would have thought

GM

Blade

Kuro

Sunset

Azure

Chilli

But maybe sunset and Azure can be swapped about..... Not sure on numbers.

I know there are loads of colours missing!

Yea u are right, if you look at pistonheads right now it goes in the order u gave

+ white at the end lol

I'm a geek. :blush:

So on that basis if you are searching for a particular colour then you might be willing to pay more to get one lower on the list....

Same for things like Nismo kits, they command a premium as they are sought after.

It's supply and demand.

I know it's all based on opinion and maybe as a whole the prices are largely the same but we only know the advertised price and not the final sale price.

It also seems to depend which country too. For instance the US seem to get everything and all the options, Japan too obviously. Countries like the UK and NZ don't get all the colours and limited of some. Burning Red/Redline as we call it in NZ still not too many here, although getting up with the numbers of Le Mans Sunset. We didn't get white new, only as shadow import, only 4 Solar Orange (the light 2007 orange), and we only have 1 Ultra Yellow. I'm not sure if we even got any San Marino Blue (Night Blue to you guys).