Does 350z car colour affect it's value?

D350z

Okay here's a controversial one.

I have just bought an immaculate 350Z roadster GT pack UK car with 1 previous owner (Nissan staff director). The car has Sat nav, black leather seats and a black hood. It is Twiglet Grey!

The grey car that I have bought is a full £3,000 cheaper than the equivalent Night Blue car offered by another Nissan main dealer and £1500 cheaper than yet another dealer offering a Night Blue without Sat nav. Can the colour really affect the value like this or is it just a case of inconsistent pricing and luck.

My first choice of colour would be Night blue and I'd be prepared to spend an extra £500 for it. My second and third choices would have been black or white and I'd pay an extra £200 for either of them. I couldn't resist a discount of £3k to settle for a grey model. It will give me a few funds for lowering springs, summer tyres (Pilot Sports or Falkens) for my new set of GT4 wheels bought on this forum a few months ago.

So the question is how much extra would you pay for the colour of your choice?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay here's a controversial one.

I have just bought an immaculate 350Z roadster GT pack UK car with 1 previous owner (Nissan staff director). The car has Sat nav, black leather seats and a black hood. It is Twiglet Grey!

So the question is how much extra would you pay for the colour of your choice?

if it really is TWIGLET coloured then its worth less i would say! :lol:

Yup colour makes all the difference. The more popular the colour the less you will get.

When i was looking for my black Z there were loads of grey ones on the market for cheaper but no black ones at all. As a result they could sell for slightly more

I think it does but mainly supply / demand will affect it.

So that's okay then because we all feel our colour is the best :) All I've got to do now is get to love twilight grey (twiglet grey) and I'll be fine. No worries on resale value then.

I have a 2007 brochure that features Temper Orange throughout and on the cover. When I downloaded the current brochure from the Nissan site yesterday, the Temper Orange had been replaced with White. The graphics guys had modified the original shots rather than do a re shoot. I thought that's a bit tight.

Cheers, Damien.

They all look wonderful when the sun has just gone down and we are in twilight. It's the best time of the day for car photography. If you get the angle right and choose the right perspective too the car looks like a Porsche beater.[attachment=0]350z3.jpg[/attachment]

:console:

Yup colour makes all the difference. The more popular the colour the less you will get.

I don't agree. I've never seen a Temper Orange on the road and when they are advertised they seem to be cheaper. IMHO this is because its a poo colour and very few people want it. Very rare but worth less rather than more.

Its not as simple as saying that the rare colours command more. Its more specific to the blacks and probably the Azures.

As for there being lots of silvers and greys, thats because they are more popular as colours - yes there are more second hand ones but there are also more potential buyers so it won't depress values as suggested.

As for there being lots of silvers and greys, thats because they are more popular as colours - yes there are more second hand ones but there are also more potential buyers so it won't depress values as suggested.

I agreed with everything you said until the last bit.

A popular colour = more cars for sale = more choice = more bargaining power for buyers = you have to price it lower than the competition.

It gets complicated with niche colours like TO. The amount of people that like the colour is very small hence the lower prices but then if someone REALLY REALLY wants one then they may pay a premium. I got strong money for the UY GT4 and the Gallardo mainly because they were rare and desireable colours that people wanted to pay a premium for.

A popular colour = more cars for sale = more choice = more bargaining power for buyers = you have to price it lower than the competition.

You missed more buyers = more demand out of your equation. ;)

I agreed with everything you said until the last bit.

It gets complicated with niche colours like TO. The amount of people that like the colour is very small hence the lower prices but then if someone REALLY REALLY wants one then they may pay a premium. I got strong money for the UY GT4 and the Gallardo mainly because they were rare and desireable colours that people wanted to pay a premium for.

Agreed if what you mean ("like the colour") is that the number of people who buy determined solely on colur is limited. In my view, it's very much a lower-order effect compared to ticket price {unless you are buying new} .. but in certain cases can make the difference I guess