Oil dipstick

matth76

Hi

This may seem like a silly question but is the oil dipstick supposed to be really hard to get out? Just tried to check my oil and it wouldn't come out. Do you have to really yank it out? I'm a bit afraid of doing damage. Also the bonnet takes a bit of slamming down to properly shut it!

Thanks for any help.

Hi

This may seem like a silly question but is the oil dipstick supposed to be really hard to get out? Just tried to check my oil and it wouldn't come out. Do you have to really yank it out? I'm a bit afraid of doing damage. Also the bonnet takes a bit of slamming down to properly shut it!

Thanks for any help.

Yes - its freaking stiff!!

I took mine into the Garage 1st time, coz I thought it had stuck there for good :lol:

Don’t slam the bonnet shut, better to place the bonnet down on the catch and then press it down to lock… :thumbs:

As for the dipstick, it’s a case of sliding it to the right first and then it should free up for you to check your oil level… Take a torch with you, it’ll help you to see what I mean with the above… :thumbs:

Thanks guys. Very unusual process re closing the bonnet. Was a bit surprised it didn't have hydraulic lifters.

Thanks for the info about the dipstick - I'll try sliding it to the right (if I can) and then lifting it and see if that releases it.

This may seem like a silly question but is the oil dipstick supposed to be really hard to get out?

You think that's bad, you should try the early model 350's. I think it's a perverted since of the amusing from Nissan. :wacko: Most stupid dipstick created by man.

Most stupid dipstick created by man.

+ a billion.

Insane. :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

+ errr. 2 billion :lol:

I was actually really worried that I would never get it back in the hole once it had come out! Why couldn't Nissan have just made it straight like every other car ever made??

Most stupid dipstick created by man.

+ a billion.

Insane. :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

+ errr. 2 billion :lol:

I was actually really worried that I would never get it back in the hole once it had come out! Why couldn't Nissan have just made it straight like every other car ever made??

Especially where you see it moved to now! Why didnt they do that in the frist place?! :doh:

So just to confirm you have to move it to the right first and then pull it up? Can't try today as it's caked in snow!

Was pretty weird with closing the bonnet too. Did everyone else here when you first got your 350 try slamming it shut like a normal bonnet, only to find it bounce off the catch?

Did everyone else here when you first got your 350 try slamming it shut like a normal bonnet, only to find it bounce off the catch?

I've done the place on latch and press to close thing on all the cars I owned tbh.

Ditto, I remember one instance where a friend let his bonnet drop and it dislodged both his headlights… :surrender:

An expense you can do without… :thumbs:

Did everyone else here when you first got your 350 try slamming it shut like a normal bonnet, only to find it bounce off the catch?

I've done the place on latch and press to close thing on all the cars I owned tbh.

Ditto, I remember one instance where a friend let his bonnet drop and it dislodged both his headlights… :surrender:

An expense you can do without… :thumbs:

should never let the bonnet drop. Close it gently with a gentle push to get the catch. Still works

sadly never slammed any of mine down. When i was learning to drive my instructor told me never to slam them down. Said he had seen alot of people cracking their headlight doing that.

i don't slam mine, but i do drop it from just the right height, (i suppose thats slamming)

if you push the bonnet closed you run a high risk of denting the bonet.

i've always been a slammer. not from a great hwinght but just enough, normally takes me 2 or 3 adjustments till i get it right