New to the Z Info on Importing please.

Hey there, Just signed up as I'm looking to get my first 350z shortly, and wanted to do some research.

I'll be buying from Japan an shipping, probably through Bansai cars as they seem the most on the ball so far. (unless anyone can suggest any other options, or bad reports???)

Been scrolling through the site an it seems very helpfull, esp the versions differences so I know what to expect, so thank you for anyone who has contributed.

I've got my own Garage in Manchester, so I'll be hoping to do all the SVA prep myself, an found I can rent a model report for £100 - £300 depending on gearbox.

If anyone has imported before an can give me a rundown off the exact process it would be appreciated incase I've missed something? Are there particular things I should be ready for/worried about?

I'm still not sure exactly what a Model report is required for as I keep getting different answers, even from VOSA at the SVA testing station (think I must have got the janitor on the phone lol)

And I could also do with knowing exactly what I'll need to swap for the SVA besides the Speedo readout and rear fog. (as long as I buy a stock car which I'm trying to)

Anyway, hello and Many thanks, I'll let you know when she arrives.

Marky B

With falling UK prices and the strong Yen I really doubt it's cheaper importing at the moment.

Jurgen from JM Imports (I think...) comes on the site sometimes. He has taken in some lovely examples.

Some funny stories about Bansai but I haven't dealt with them personally. Torque GT gets good reports.

+2 Im sure it would be cheaper to buy one in the UK now... the pound is very weak at the moment.

One more thing for the SVA you'll need to do is swap the HID headlamps out and re-wire them to accept a regular halogen bulb. The jap zeds dont have headlight washers, and these are required on the SVA if you have HID's. Fairly simple job - bumper off, remove the lights, and re-jig some wires :thumbs:

Chris.

:welcome: by the way... am only down the road from you. :thumbs:

This is perhaps the worst time in about 100 years to import anything of value into the uk :scare:

Imports already in the uk are down to about £9k, how cheap do you want one?

+1 - and as the others have said, I cant see any benefit in importing one TBH. If you decide it will be cheaper, I've heard bad things about Bonsai, mainly around hidden charges. Jurgen@JM Imports and Torque GT both get goot reviews on here.

well, the figures I've been calculating atm is somewhere around the 7-8k OTR, but you're all right on the economic climate which is why I want to check the whole process so I know I've not missed anything. Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Where abouts are you marzman?

:welcome:

Have a trawl through the JDM section on the forum. There is SVA info/questions in there that has been asked in the past

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... hlight=sva

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... hlight=sva

use the search buttoin and type SVA and look in JDM Imports bit :)

Also watch out for a SVA fee hidden in the T&C's of Bansai. Its been reported before.

from what i have read about importing it can be a real pain and seriously take upto and even longer than 6 months. In the current climate i cant see the point in going through the import process with so many bargains in the current market.

And as stated the pound is very very weak against the yen which isnt going to help things.

If its an import you want then why not just look on the usual places and find an already imported one.