DIY: Windscreen Head-up display... NOW WITH PICS

marzman

Hey all...

Was bored on eBay today so bought one of these on a whim... it looks fairly interesting!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rBcjGyy6PJE

I searched online to see if it was GPS based or if you have to hard-wire it to the speedo (which i wont be attempting if this is the case - back on eBay it'll go!) but couldnt find anything.

Will post up once its arrived and fitted...

Shouldnt be too hard to get to the speed wire if it does need to be attached (which I think it will... And you need to get power to it!

Looks a cool gadget like the Defi one, and glad your being a guinea pig!!

Get some pics up when you get it!

Just looked them up and they also do an auto light on and off.... Now I like the sound of that!!

Shouldnt be too hard to get to the speed wire if it does need to be attached (which I think it will... And you need to get power to it!

Looks a cool gadget like the Defi one, and glad your being a guinea pig!!

Get some pics up when you get it!

Just looked them up and they also do an auto light on and off.... Now I like the sound of that!!

Yeh - am definitely the guinea pig on this. Thought i'd take one for the team...! If it turns out alright, you'll all have one by the wales run! :lol:

And Stew you're right. The vid is awful... I actually laughed out loud at the point near the end where the woman passes the guy the box, and it turns colour again... :lol:

Hey all.

Right, my headup display arrived this morning, so i installed it today and am very pleased with the results :teeth:

I was hoping it would be GPS based, but it wasnt - it needed to be wired in. So i spent a couple of hours on here/google and found all the info i needed.

Right, below is the Kit - this is the Valeo - Speed Visio unit (think its spanish).

ValeoSpeedVisiobox.jpg

The installation requires 3 wires to be spliced in - Power, ground, and the VSS (vehicle Speed Sensor) wire.

visio2.jpg

Having trawled through posts on my350z etc, i found out that the best place to get to the VSS was from the 'Unified Meter and A/C Amp' unit which is a large white unit under the stereo.

To get to this you have to remove the center console, which is VERY easy to do - takes roughly 5 minutes. I used the following guide:

http://liljerk.morpheus.net/350Z/dash_removal/

You dont have to remove the whole center console - just the bottom part, so you can get to the white box - which is the Unified Meter and A/C Amp' unit - then unscrew this (via the screws underneath) and pull it forward. You'll be able to see that the wiring harness behind this is clipped into the mounting unit using a little popper, so you'll need to undo this with some pliers so you can pull it forward more.

acunit1.jpg

acunit2.jpg

Now, the VSS wire is found on the middle plug (grey - M49), and is pin 26 - which if you're looking down on it is the top row, 3rd hole from the left. My wire was brown with a white stripe. I found the wiring info in this document - on page 47:

http://www.myzroadster.com/files/2006%2 ... al/atc.pdf

EDIT: If the link dies again, its "http://www.myzroadster.com/files/2006%20service%20manual/atc.pdf"

NOTE: This document doesnt mention the vehicle speed sense wire, but it definitely is pin 26...!!

So, i had to splice into this cable, and also chose pins 22 and 29 for the power and ground feeds. This makes the unit switch on when the key is turned to position 2.

For the splicing, the install kit came with 3 little splice boxes - a very clever way of connecting wires - you just place the wires in the little box, and with pliers close the lid, and it does the connection for you!! Im from the old school of a swiss army knife and some electrical tape, so these were a real treat :lol:

You can see in the fuzzy pic below what it looks like with these wires spliced:

wires.jpg

Next up, i had to choose where to route the wire... so using a bbq skewer, i taped my wire to it and poked it through to my footwell (needed to remove a vent cover by the pedals, and pull the carpet back a bit to get it through).

Now, i've not finished tidying up the cable yet, but it ran nicely up by my steering wheel, and fits in the gap by the clocks and round up onto the dash - you basically cant see it at all.

Lastly when pointing at just the windscreen, you get kind of a double image of the speed, but it comes with a transparent black oval which sticks to the windscreen (with water - no glue). I didnt want to put this on really, but it really clears up the image so will leave it for now.

See the pics below for what i mean!

Anyway, after messing with the calibration for 10 mins, i got it in sync perfectly with my speed pod - so its spot on!

Normal glass:

normalglass.jpg

a not very good video:

th_Video0050.jpg

I'll take some pics of the finished mounting location and quality tomorrow, as i was rushing and had to go to a party tonight!

Thats pretty cool - i like it.

One question though, can you see it from the outside and is there much of a viewing angle?

No, suprisingly you cant see it from the outside! Yes - you can see the unit on the dash, but other drivers wont see that, but you cant see the projection at all - its weird!

Chris does it have to be mounted where you put it or would it work at the far right, where the air-con blows onto the side windows? The bit that continues from the door material.

Not sure where you mean matey, but it is wired - so you'd have your work cut out if you mean mounting it on the door... However, the LED light is bright, so im sure the distance wouldnt be an issue - it would still reflect if you could get the angle right.

Chris does it have to be mounted where you put it or would it work at the far right, where the air-con blows onto the side windows? The bit that continues from the door material.

Not sure where you mean matey, but it is wired - so you'd have your work cut out if you mean mounting it on the door... However, the LED light is bright, so im sure the distance wouldnt be an issue - it would still reflect if you could get the angle right.

I didn't mean on the door. Meant on the dash, but at the far right. The texture of the dash there is the same as the testure on the door lining. Was never very good at expressing myself in writing...probably why I'm not a novelist. :blush: Should have just asked if there was a set place it had to be put, or if you could put it anywhere on the dash within reason.

I didn't mean on the door. Meant on the dash, but at the far right. The texture of the dash there is the same as the testure on the door lining. Was never very good at expressing myself in writing...probably why I'm not a novelist. :blush: Should have just asked if there was a set place it had to be put, or if you could put it anywhere on the dash within reason.

Oh, right. No, you can mount it anywhere you want, as long as you can get a good angle and see the reflection.

I like this - I had a look on ebay and they have some GPS ones but they look a lot bigger than yours and I think that might not look as good, where did you get it from?

Did you say something about an auto lights system they do to, do you have any more info... Id be very interested in that??

I like this - I had a look on ebay and they have some GPS ones but they look a lot bigger than yours and I think that might not look as good, where did you get it from?

Did you say something about an auto lights system they do to, do you have any more info... Id be very interested in that??

I got it on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0338946304

its only about 2"x1", couldnt be much smaller really. i cant fault it.

On the sellers recent feedback he's recently sold the autolights kits too - none on there currently though...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Thought i'd just bump this up... i wrote this DIY in 2009 for my HUD - which was incredibly useful when driving.

Anyway when i was selling my previous zed last year i removed the HUD and sold it to Fakeindian (Neil)... But having got my new zed i was looking to put this mod back on and PM'd Neil, and luckily for me he had never fitted it - so i bought it back off him!!

So im fitting it tomottow - cant wait!

I've got one of those sat upstairs. Couldn't be bothered to fit it. It's exactly the same model so I may have a bash at fitting. So there's no internal off switch for the unit? How strange.