Computer advice

jim

My PC is a bit long in the tooth, has loads of software on it, and is getting very, very slow. So slow, in fact, that I have been considering upgrading to a newer, and faster model. I'm not a great fan of PCs (Windoze), and for many years was a member of the Acorn owners club. I found the user interface and the software generally more intuitive than Micrsosoft, and the platform more robust, less prone to crashes etc.

Alas, Acorn is no longer an option, but Apple is. I had a look today at iMacs, and have to admit that they look very impressive, and the software seems stable and fast. The only downside is that they are much more expensive than the equivalent-spec. PC.

Does anyone have a lot of experience with them, and if so, can you recommend moving platform? Would there be difficulties with retaining my internet provider, for example, (btinternet.com) or is it straightforward to transfer my account to an iMac? How easily do Word and Excel files translate to the platform? My main use is for internet access (this forum and banking, mainly), email, word processing, image processing/storage and audio storage. I am not into gaming or anything like that so don't need powerful graphics cards.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Much as i don't like Mac's, these days they all run on regular intel hardware anyway, so if you want you can just buy a mac and add windows later if you want (on a dual-boot). Add to that the pretty decent emulation software you can get for Mac's so you can run MS Office. Having said that, open office is good, and Google are now offering free online office compatible sofware, which is good for occasional use.

Sure they cost a bit more, but the all in one design is pretty and OSX contains everything most non-gaming users need in a reliable and virus resistant form (if a little inflexible) Loads of creative industry types love macs, so photo, video, and sound software is readily available.

As ever with Apple, it's basically up to you if the high standard of design combined with their "closed ecosystem" thinking is worth the extra cash.

You can keep your internet provider, and dont need to change your external modem/router or anything like that. In fact, if you have an ethernet or wireless modem the most you'll need to do is type in your code for the wireless!

Thanks for the quick and helpful response, I've embedded a few follow-up questions. :)

Much as i don't like Mac's, Why not?? these days they all run on regular intel hardware anyway, so if you want you can just buy a mac and add windows later if you want (on a dual-boot). Add to that the pretty decent emulation software you can get for Mac's so you can run MS Office. Is that an expensive add-on? Having said that, open office is good, and Google are now offering free online office compatible sofware, which is good for occasional use.

Sure they cost a bit more, but the all in one design is pretty and OSX contains everything most non-gaming users need in a reliable and virus resistant form That's one of the attractions - do you know if they come with built-in virus protection software? (if a little inflexible) Loads of creative industry types love macs, so photo, video, and sound software is readily available.

As ever with Apple, it's basically up to you if the high standard of design combined with their "closed ecosystem" thinking is worth the extra cash.

You can keep your internet provider, and dont need to change your external modem/router or anything like that. In fact, if you have an ethernet or wireless modem the most you'll need to do is type in your code for the wireless! Yes - I understand that, and I take it that I can just type my email account details into whatever email software is provided on the platform?

You can get MS Office for Mac anyway, so no need to dual-boot Windows and all files are cross-compatible.

I got an iMac last year to accompany my PC and I love it just as much despite never having used OSX before. The only thing I will say is that you'll need a decent mouse as the bundled one will break within a month or so: It's really a piece of @*!#.

Thanks for the quick and helpful response, I've embedded a few follow-up questions. :)

Much as i don't like Mac's, Why not?? these days they all run on regular intel hardware anyway, so if you want you can just buy a mac and add windows later if you want (on a dual-boot). Add to that the pretty decent emulation software you can get for Mac's so you can run MS Office. Is that an expensive add-on? Having said that, open office is good, and Google are now offering free online office compatible sofware, which is good for occasional use.

Sure they cost a bit more, but the all in one design is pretty and OSX contains everything most non-gaming users need in a reliable and virus resistant form That's one of the attractions - do you know if they come with built-in virus protection software? (if a little inflexible) Loads of creative industry types love macs, so photo, video, and sound software is readily available.

You can keep your internet provider, and dont need to change your external modem/router or anything like that. In fact, if you have an ethernet or wireless modem the most you'll need to do is type in your code for the wireless! Yes - I understand that, and I take it that I can just type my email account details into whatever email software is provided on the platform?

I like to tinker with the hardware a lot, plus i buy games, so macs are no good for me. Oh, and one mouse button? no thanks :)

Office is evidently available, so you don't have to worry about that.

The Mac operating system is based on UNIX, which is inherently safer than windows due to the fact that it natively blocks normal users from making changes to the operating system.

Virus writers also don't really think its worth the sizeable effort to write a mac specific virus that will affect only a relatively small number of computer users.

Ohh, my nerd side is coming out! :disguise:

If you have copies of Office for the PC you can use them via Bootcamp (Mac's dual boot system) and its all pretty easy to use and run.

Unfortunately there isnt the range of cheaper software titles like you get for a pc, like photo editing software so you end up paying a bit more (unless you can get copies ;) ) But they are releasing some cool stuff all the time...

Love the 24" imac, you may need to get a new keyboard as well as a mouse like AZ said, but also depending on your current router you may need to upgrade that too as the mac's will have the N spec cards... They will work on your current router but if you have a n router it will be faster... I think the current BT home hubs are N spec...

I dont have one at the moment but I am considering for Photo Editing and "Easy" computing as I dont use it for gaming, just need to get rid of a few PC's first!

Another major + is the Mac's ability to fit easily into your home AV system, get an Apple TV box and plug into any tv in the House and you can get to any music / video stored on your mac, and to extend, get a Apple Time Capsule you have a automatic wireless storage box...

And all the bits look great!!

I must speak for the PC, but only because I do play games I like to build them myself.

Last one I built is watercooled btw, hehe

+1 Much better than a Apple. And why are they so much more expensive now that they are sporting the same intel/nvidia hardware that pc's carry? :dry:

I was an avid Windows user for many years but grew frustrated during the dawn of broadband and the amount of crap that was infecting my PC and meaning I had to constantly re-install it etc.

Sure things are better now as back then people didn't really have a 100% secure grasp on how to block these threats on windows then but now I suppose they do.

However, with all that said and done. At the time I switched to Mac and have never looked back.

Been an OSX user now for about 4/5 years and I cannot express just how much more stable a platform it is, just how easy they are to use and how much more productive you find yourself being due to the (in my opinion) better software it has developed for it and they way in which your peripherals (such as didi camera, mobile phone, etc etc) just integrate with generally no drivers at all.

I have been responsible for converting about 8-9 people to the Mac platform (mainly friends and family) and providing you don't want to use it for gaming and have a PS3 / Xbox instead or something, then I would most likely guarantee 100% that you will prefer using a Mac.

To be fair, as others have suggested, you can still game on a Mac by installing windows on your machine (which is very easy to do). The graphics cards will still enable you to play anything the PC does. However if its top top end graphics and as many Frames Per Second as you can get whilst gaming that interests you, then perhaps stick with a PC. But that would be the only reason in my opinion.

Just found this which is Apple's sales(ey) site which is supposed to temp you to buy one http://www.apple.com/getamac/

I'd just have a look at the hundreds of videos of the operating system and software etc they do on there do get a real feel for what its all about. Then maybe go have a muck around with one in your local store... Im convinced you'll love it though, so only do that if you can afford one as you will start feeling your wallet twitch very quickly :teeth:

Tbh, if Apple have got anything right, then it's their marketing.

Think about it. For Example the AirBook then it came out, wafer thin...fit's in an envelope, and stuff.

All great technological feats I admit, but instantly stumped if I walk up to an owner and ask him to play a DVD or something disc related, because for that to happen you have to buy an add-on USB optical drive, making you look less suave and sleek at Starbucks, rofl.

There is no doubt that some of their hardware (like the Air and Apple TV) for instance, hasn't quite hit the mark.

However if OSX ran on a big lumpy box in the corner and was half the price, I'd love to buy it as I have no interest in the hardware per say.

Just find the software a joy to use.

Hi mate I have 2 apple Macbook Pro laptops and an Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 3.2 GHZ 4TB harddrive with 16GB Ram and 2 ATI Radeon HD 3870 Graphic Cards Running 2 30inch Apple HD Monitors, ask me anything you want regarding apple computers, I love em, live by em and work by em. :thumbs: No viruses and mine have never crashed, and the support and customer care is second to none B)

Hi mate I have 2 apple Macbook Pro laptops and an Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 3.2 GHZ 4TB harddrive with 16GB Ram and 2 ATI Radeon HD 3870 Graphic Cards Running 2 30inch Apple HD Monitors, ask me anything you want regarding apple computers, I love em, live by em and work by em. :thumbs: No viruses and mine have never crashed, and the support and customer care is second to none B)

And drink skinny mocha lattes with hazlenut sprinkles from Starbucks!

Jay, you are a marketing mans dream!

And drink skinny mocha lattes with hazlenut sprinkles from Starbucks!

Jay, you are a marketing mans dream!

:blush::lol: well I am in marketing ;)

Hmm same arguments over and over - comes down to the following basics I think?

Both use the same hardware underneath (Apple look pretty)

If your into your graphics/photos/web design etc - Apple is your friend

If you want cheap readily available software and many years of geeks playing with it - Windows is for you (Although expect to reboot once in a while)

As far as interfaces are concerned everyone I know with an Apple pc think they are excellent

Everyone I know who has Windows(including me) thinks its clunky and pants!

You could go Lunux instead and run more or less anything else on top you like Word etc etc , less resource hungry and quick but you need your geek hat on!

Best way is to actually try them out first hand and see what your feeling better with?

Hardware wise - Zedrushes machine sounds like a Zed of the PC world - but you pay your money for that - and as mentioned on other posts no point in getting something you will never use - so Processor power, memory and hard disk storage I would say are your priorities?

Building your own pc is the best way to get what you want and keep costs down (mate has done that) but you need a certain level of knowledge but there are plenty of PC computer geek mags around with that sort of info

Get a copy of What PC and read the reviews - or look online http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/latest/

Hope this helps? :)

But this looks so much cooler (last PC I built myself)

Intel Q6600 overclocked to 3.0Ghz (watercooled)

2x GeForce 8800GTS 512MB (newer G92 GPU, in SLi, both watercooled)

Motherboard is a EVGA 780i (Northbridge, Southbridge and MOSFETs are watercooled)

finished08.jpg

Nice looking pc, built something similar myself. The only thing is you could be getting a lot more out of your Q6600 if its watercooled than 3.00GHZ you should easily get 3.6GHZ. I am running a rig at the moment and i am achieving 3.00ghz on air with a Q6600 ;)

But this looks so much cooler (last PC I built myself)

Intel Q6600 overclocked to 3.0Ghz (watercooled)

2x GeForce 8800GTS 512MB (newer G92 GPU, in SLi, both watercooled)

Motherboard is a EVGA 780i (Northbridge, Southbridge and MOSFETs are watercooled)

finished08.jpg

WOW !!!!!! B)

Very nice, were the graphic cards Nvidia? I was going to get them but seems the performance are more inclined for game play and not rendering media like Final Cut Pro hence why I opted for the Ati cards. Love the red neons B)

On Mac Pro there is only so much changes you can make, and its always better to buy from other companies the upgrades and not apple. So I got the Mac Pro with 3.2GHZ from apple, then went online and purchased

4 x IBM (Hitachi) Deskstar 7K1000.B SATAII 1TB (1000GB) 32MB

2 x ATI Radeon HD 3870 512MB Graphics Cards

4 x 4GB Kingston FB-DIMM Mac Pro RAM Modules 800MHz

The upgrades came to a total of around £1200, but had I of purchased this from mac I would have been looking at around £5000 or more. :scare:

Ill take some pics of the units today for ya and also of my macbooks. The only this Im a bit worried about is that I have 1 drive as my boot, and 3 of my drives raided to 0, I have no protection on this and figuring out the best way to backup. I dont want to get an external raid 1 to match it but looks like my only option unless anyone knows of a better solution :surrender:

Nice looking pc, built something similar myself. The only thing is you could be getting a lot more out of your Q6600 if its watercooled than 3.00GHZ you should easily get 3.6GHZ. I am running a rig at the moment and i am achieving 3.00ghz on air with a Q6600 ;)

Yeah, I know I can get more out of it, but for my day to day use, 3.00Ghz is plenty enough tbh.

The main reason behind building it was basically, "I haven't built a watercooled PC yet, let's give it a go"

The only thing that wasn't done by myself is the sidepanel, had to send that away to have lasercut.

Hi mate ... ask me anything you want regarding apple computers, I love em, live by em and work by em. :thumbs: No viruses and mine have never crashed, and the support and customer care is second to none B)

One thing you might be able to help me with - whether to go for the 20 inch or the 24 inch iMac. Ideally I would prefer the 24" but it is a bit big for my desktop. The question really is - does the screen image look better, or clearer. The resolution of the 20 inch is 1680 x 1050 and the 24 inch is 1920 x 1200.