Problems with a roadster roof mechanism

glastoveteran

Hi all,

I've just picked up my JDM roadster and there seems to be a problem with the roof. It has only successfully opened once and now it just refuses to go all the way down. It gets to the stage where it's folded back and almost tucked away and then just stops. If you release and press the swictch again you can hear a relay clicking on somewhere but nothing else happens.

Because it's only opened properly once I just wanted to check I'm doing everything I should which is holding my foot on the brake and holding the open button. Nothing else I should be doing?!

IMG_4035.jpg

Thanks,

Alex

I have the same issue on mine in exactly the same position. I have booked in with Nissan on Friday to investigate '58 plate! Also I have noticed a slight scratch/rubbing mark in the centre between the boot and the roof section panels.

Nissan advised me that they had never heard of this problem before?

Had the same problem with my JDM roadster too - try a bit of WD40 on the 2 visible pistons then keep opening and closing - keep finger on the button when opening and eventually it will open fully. Like mine, your roadster has obviously been stored with the roof closed for a while awaiting SVA test so the 'joints' just need a bit of lubrication i suspect.

Hope its not more serious than that, good luck!

Hi, ive had both problems with my roadster. Firstly it may sound stupid but mine only does it when its cold outside. The fabric wont fold properly, if you got someone to do the button thing while you make sure the roof folds correclty it will go. I found treating the roof very very regularly helped allot. Its nothing to do with the mechanism. I even took it to the local dealership/idiots but they had it inside for a couple of hours then tried it and it worked properly every time.

As for the band of marking between the boot lid and the roof lid, got that too. The roof lid had moved slightly on the bolts. Nissan would not repair it under warranty, went back 3 times to complain but they said if it was going to move it would have done it straight away and not after 2 and a half years. It is a 5 min fix though, all you need is a socket set. just slacken very slightly the bolts holding the roof lid down and slide it all forward a midgies. Do not touch the boot bolts. I was stubborn and did not do it myself straight away so it made a nice white stripe in the laqueur, all fixed now though.

I HATE DEALERS!!!

I've got a similar problem with my 56 reg Roadster and I'm really quite worried (you'll see why in a moment).

I had the same problem as described, this Saturday - roof got most of the way down but wouldn't retract the last bit. On the off-chance that my local dealer was open (Motorline, Tunbridge Wells) I drove it down, and it was. They looked at it on the spot and handed me the keys back within about 45mins, saying that a clip (or somesuch) that holds the rear screen in place when folding, had come undone. They had put it back in place, tested the roof, and said it was fine. I didn't have a chance to test it on the spot.

Unfortunately it doesn't end there. The next time I go to retract the roof, if gets to about the same place and slows right down (seeming to get stuck on something) before clearing itself and folding fully. This didn't seem right at all so I put the roof back up. On putting it back up I noticed that the first roof spar didn't look right - the plastic that surrounds it looked uneven on the side facing the windscreen. On closer inspection, the piece of metal this mounts on had sheared its welding onto the spar itself and seemed to be bent forward. Clearly this was not right so I didn't touch the roof from then on and took the car to Motorline first thing on Monday.

I was told initially that it was going to need a new roof, but that they could not guarantee that it would be covered under warranty. The worrying bit is that I think (I'm not clear exactly what the service manager meant) that Nissan have initially refused the warranty, and that a new roof costs (sitting down?) £9000. The car is going back in on Friday for more investigation work and he said that an engineer from Nissan would have to have a look at the car as well - I think perhaps what he meant was that they won't authorise £9k worth of new roof without sending an engineer down first to have a good look at it.

As you can imagine, I am quite worried as you can imagine, although at the same time I cannot see how they cannot warranty it.

Slightly off topic, but TurboTomato as in vx220.org TurboTomato? If so, hi! :bye:

I can't help but wonder if these roof issues are related to the cold weather we've had recently: What's the minimum temp that the roof can be safely stowed at? I've not got my manual to hand to see, if there even is one (temp that is, not manual).

Ok I have to join in this chat!

I also had a similar wobble with the roof a week after car was serviced. I had not dropped the roof for a few weeks due to endless rain but the roof stopped about the same spot as yours (mines '07) Bit of a worry as I was sat at traffic lights - a flick of the close button - it dithered but closed.

2 things here before all the softtop owners rush off to Nissan.

On the rear lower metal frame that bends round and you see some bearings run across it and slide down as the roof closes - sorry hard to explain without pictures but I think these are covered normally with white silicon grease - and I have seen them run a bit sticky shall we say from when I purchased the car - I keep saying I will grease them but have been too lazy/busy at the mo - I suggest you all go off and check this rail - its the bottom rail that the fabric folds round and rests on the rear deck area. Thats where I think the most resistance is in the folding roof mechanism.

Secondly if you dont have the roof down for a long period the fabric will stiffen up especially this time of year. Never but never fold the roof when the roof is wet!

When the roof dries it shrinks and pulls tight on the frame thus giving more resistance.

Like with aircon you have use it once in a while. So open and close the roof to keep things from seizing - just like human beings! Keep moving folks! ;)

In a few years time yes the mechanism will need to be checked for loose bolts etc but unless you open and close your roof 50 times per day it should outlive the car ! So please dont worry.

BTW mine has been fine ever since.

One last thing do not touch any other switch the same time as you open or close the roof - as it interupts the power and stops it mid flow! Probably yet another over the top safety feature - thank you Nissan!

;)

Another last thing - forget Nissan - go to a Trimmer he will be able to figure out the roof mechanism if he is worth his salt and you dont need a new roof ! Fabric for this roof like any other can be easily replaced /replicated - its aint rocket science - remember its still has to be put together in a factory by humans . :)

Very interesting guys. I will take a look at mine – if it ever stops raining! As I said it is booked into Nissan this Friday so will report back. Tempted to print this out and take it with me as the service manager said he had never heard of such a problem.

Any roadsters in Cambridge area only ever seen one since I bought mine in September?

Don't let it – nothing better than the roof down, wind in your hair listening to that exhaust note!!

Have you met Digsy? Hair will be a flight of fancy soon :p

I think you must be mistaking me for Mike. :p

roadster motoring is great. i used to love dropping the top on the MR2 great times other than when its sunny is on a clear night, and a crisp winter morning.

people think your nuts, but its great. :teeth:

:thumbs: crisp winter morning. beany hat, scarf, seat heaters all on, roof down. Can't beat it !

Don't drop it whilst fabric is frozen though, mate ripped his doing that and they wouldn't cover it under warranty ( typical Nissan CS )

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. A couple of days ago I tried a bit of WD40 on the visible pistons and any obvious moving parts but even after a little wait it didn't seem to help. Two days later and positively toasty 8 degrees here, I thought I'd have another go and it dropped first time [*]! So I don't know whether it's to do with the temperature after all, or just the WD40 having time to work?

[*] I say first time - it got past the sticky bit and then stopped right at the end when the lid was about 1 inch from closing. Pressing the button again closed it, so I guess it's still a bit sticky somewhere.

Thanks guys, hope everyone else is having more luck too.