Congrats Obama but.....

stanski

I'm not one to follow politics let alone American politics - been praying for the news coverage to end to be honest! But really surprised and happy that Obama got in however am I the only person to think - when are they going to shoot him?? (Maybe watching too many X files episodes over the years!)

its really bizarre you should say this because it's the first thing I thought this morning. I just had this gut feeling he will be assassinated or at least an attempt made. I'm not the only one who's said it today either!

Many people have been saying that he will be assasinated within the year, hence the importance of the vice president vote and why a lot of traditional americans actually voted obama as they really dont want that cow in place is McCain croaks - which he probably will soon.

This sounds horrible but:

I recon the secret service wont do it now as it will be too obvious and all the people who voted would just go mad riot and burn the place down! So they will wait a few months until they can get someone who looks shifty enough to do it and make it look like a terrorist plot! Oh controversial! Poor sod hope he makes it through the next few weeks!

Didn't they already arrest a couple of white, nazi type guys who were allegedly planning an assaination attempt a week or so ago?

Yes they did. Unfortunately I think the US will have plenty more psycotic idiots lining up to take the place of these two.

I am astounded at how race plays such a big part in American life in the 21st century. I think it incredibly embarrassing for the country that claims to be "the leader of the free world" that they cant seem to get over something as trivial as skin colour.

Didn't they already arrest a couple of white, nazi type guys who were allegedly planning an assaination attempt a week or so ago?

Yes they did. Unfortunately I think the US will have plenty more psycotic idiots lining up to take the place of these two.

I am astounded at how race plays such a big part in American life in the 21st century. I think it incredibly embarrassing for the country that claims to be "the leader of the free world" that they cant seem to get over something as trivial as skin colour.

+1 on that. Its disgusting, however unfortunatly, its the world we live in and it will never change.

+1 on that. Its disgusting, however unfortunatly, its the world we live in and it will never change.

history, size of the country etc its obvious they will never all agree on anything

lots of speculation about a possible assassination :headhurt:

Security was so high he made his opening speech behind 3 inches of bullet proof glass :scare:

He is making all the right noises so I will be watching with interest to see how he starts. The fact that he has knowledge beyond the boundaries of the country has to be a great advantage.

I love the fact that he talks about bringing in people to give his government a broader unity.

I worry a lot about the american history with revolutionary thinking leaders like JFK.

One thing is for sure we need a change.

Just spoke to my son who lives in Mississippi & all the 'white' people voted for McCain. When he said to one of the guys about someone shooting Obama the reply was "I hope someone does & not to just hurt him"

Mind you he did get the following text off someone.

Free at last, free at last! John McCain can kiss our ass! Obama has won and change will come. With all our votes, damn he won!

I couldn't agree more, but keep in mind that our history as a nation is incredibly short relatively speaking, and it was only in the 20th century that first women, and then African Americans, were even granted the right to vote. Also keep in mind that as mentioned, the sheer size of our country, coupled with very different regional cultures we have, plays a very large role. Life is vastly different in the center of the US, for example, as it is in NY, or Florida, or California. The torch has surely been passed to a new generation, and it will be very interesting to see how it all plays out.

I'm sure I speak for all of us in the UK when I say that we appreciate how large your country is and how many places have no more issues with race than we do. It's just a little scary how many regional areas are yet to catch up.

It's unfortunate but true. I've experienced in first hand myself, as my long time girlfriend is African American. But such is life

I'm not surprised there has been such speculation today. It strikes me that there will be some out there who will want to try to prevent Obama from actually being inaugurated as President. That would mean an attempt before January.