Auto V Manual

sake-bito

To comment that i would benefit from driver training is just silly. I had a TURBO car. RWD cars without a turbo are more progressive in there power delivery. my car wasn't. It hit full boost almost instantly and was sometimes un predictable coming out of the corners.

It was more when i tried to do 3rd gear drifts etc that i used to scare myself. I've raced on tracks etc so im a really confident driver but my sx was a different beast from a 350 Z. I know the 350 will be harder to controll mid drift because of the weight but like you said i should have said i'm wanting one for the looks and the V6 not because its RWD.

I eventualy stayed well clear of the accelerator in my sx in the wet and sometimes in the dry and it was fine. just because i was used to driving flat out in a FWD

STOO

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To comment that i would benefit from driver training is just silly. I had a TURBO car. RWD cars without a turbo are more progressive in there power delivery. my car wasn't. It hit full boost almost instantly and was sometimes un predictable coming out of the corners.

It was more when i tried to do 3rd gear drifts etc that i used to scare myself. I've raced on tracks etc so im a really confident driver but my sx was a different beast from a 350 Z. I know the 350 will be harder to controll mid drift because of the weight but like you said i should have said i'm wanting one for the looks and the V6 not because its RWD.

I eventualy stayed well clear of the accelerator in my sx in the wet and sometimes in the dry and it was fine. just because i was used to driving flat out in a FWD

STOO

Ok fair enough I don't know you, but I'm a very average driver (like most people) and I've been out with some very experienced drivers (like Don Palmer for instance - in my 350z) and I reckon that almost everyone could benefit from driver training - I was certainly enlightened . Don will even tell you that he's not perfect and is constantly learning, albeit it at a much slower rate than someone like me. At first hand from the sort of comments you make I just think that a lack of confidence in any situation shows that a bit of guidance wouldn't do any harm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to slag you off, not at all. I'm just telling you about my experience and how amazed I was by all the subtle things this type of training teaches you.

I love my auto. Wouldnt have it any other way. If you want to kick your rear end out at junctions, an auto will do it no bother. If i turn my tcs off and floor it from a standstill, i go more sideways than forward!

If the zed wasnt my everyday driver, i'd want a manual, but when im just driving to work and am stuck under 50mph 80% of the time, an auto is perfect for me. :thumbs:

And just to add the obvious, since it hasn't been mentioned and it's a new buyer, UK 350Zs are manual only, auto/tiptronic means it's JDM. JDMs are slightly diff spec and usually higher insurance, which is offset by being cheaper; check the FAQs.

(Apologies if you're already aware)

Can you get the car sideways with an auto?? i.e not high speed but pulling out from junctions etc??

Lol, :blush::blush:;) Does that tell you anything. :D

I was actually going to have 2 x 350's at the same time, but then I ran into a few warranty issues, so decided not to get the 2nd one, that one would have had transform quite a transformation.

Either way it doesn't matter, whether manual or tiptronic, you're bound to have fun.

JDMs are ....................... usually higher insurance.

Not in my experience. I'm paying less now for my Z than I did 3 years ago for a Honda Prelude.

Thats because your old :p

Cheeky b****r. But it's true.

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, drove my first zed today. It was a jap manual 6 speed.

Quick question about the clutch. Are they all HEAVY as hell?? or does that point to a heavy duty clutch or a problem maybe??

If they are all that heavy i can see me going with an auto!

STOO

Are you a man or a mouse?????

It's actually exercise working out your left leg! 350Z - the healthy option!

Quick question about the clutch. Are they all HEAVY as hell?? or does that point to a heavy duty clutch or a problem maybe??

STOO

:lol: its a muscle car!

STOO

LOL i just wasn't sure if it was right. felt good though, like well put together!

Jumped into our aygo and about put the clutch in that right into the floor! :scare: LOL Can't wait to get one now!

STOO

And just to add the obvious, since it hasn't been mentioned and it's a new buyer, UK 350Zs are manual only, auto/tiptronic means it's JDM. JDMs are slightly diff spec and usually higher insurance, which is offset by being cheaper; check the FAQs.

Is it true that all UK cars are manuals, from when they went on sale to now? Makes spotting a genuine UK car even easier, I'm after a manual.....

Is it true that all UK cars are manuals, from when they went on sale to now? Makes spotting a genuine UK car even easier, I'm after a manual.....

Yep, all auto's are imports :thumbs:

Hiya mate

I had a 200sx s14a with just over 300hp b4 my Z you say handful i say fun! :)

The ESP on the zed makes the car very very managable to drive in the wet! so will not be a handful/fun like your 200sx was!

if you do decide to switch the esp off the car is again very managable if you know what you are doin!(you should of practiced more in your 200sx lol)