Please stop me doing something stupid

martinmac

OK on the face of it its a no brainer. Have been considering buying a second car to save miles and more importantly stone chips on the zed.

The problem is I love driving it so havent looked too hard.

However, there is a Boxster available for a crazy price. its an 01 in silver and fully checked out with new engine and lots of other bits.

For some reason I am considering this as a get to work car. :blush:

why dont you buy yourself a high mileage 02 plate import zed instead and have one for work! :lol::lol:

The boxster is a nice car, my boss had one for a while, only thing to watch out for is if they have had to do any repair work, they had a scuff on the back offside panel and porka pop riveted a new panel on in a different shade... :surrender:

Why has it got a new engine?

I believe its not unusual for Boxsters, they have engine issues. It was done under warranty. No ongoing issues though.

That's cool. If you can afford it go for it. Can you live with the look of it? I couldn't.

Mart go for it if you really like it but,, over all it will cost you more to run than a Zed and also the parts a very expensive even from aftermarket shops ?

Get a cheeky little MR2 roadster - 48mpg on average! B) Cheap, solid, reliable and fun! (just like me!!) :lol:

Why has it got a new engine?

I believe its not unusual for Boxsters, they have engine issues. It was done under warranty. No ongoing issues though.

That's cool. If you can afford it go for it. Can you live with the look of it? I couldn't.

That is exactly my problem :dry:

I can understand your reasoning, Martin, but as has already been said, a Boxster is still a Porsche at the end of the day and they are not noted for their economical running costs.

My Zed is my daily drive and whilst I hate the stone chips and the miles I'm putting on it, I bought it because I love driving it and that's the price I'm prepared to pay.

save the money on buyin a 2nd car & just get the Z painted every so often lol!

i thought about buyin a "run around" to go to & from work! but then i thought whats the point in hvain 15k worth of motor sat on the drive! only time i drive these days is to & from work or gym! lol

m8 you only live once and if you got your heart set on it then go for it.... just like people have said tho..if its for mile munching then i dont think its the best option... its sounds horrible but a bmw 3 series D would do the job better imho and would be fairly good fun aswell....plus a simple remap on diesel cars turn them into tyre killers aswell :D

-ho

martin stop being silly! if you want a second vehicle then get something useful like a little van or something that you can save some money by driving. (no liz didn't make me say that :lol: ) but seriously as a second car it's a no brainer NOT to do it! (in my opinion)

Didnt know you were a hairdresser martin?

It would be a waste of time imho getting another 2 seater as a second car! You want something like a ford focus or something. Cheap to fix, dont mind it getting battered, and does the job.

Damn it I was scrolling down to the fast reply to make the hairdresser jibes and you lot beat me to it. I was even lookin at a boxer before buying the Zed, although they are a porsche, they just dont feel like a proper on. Equilient of buying a Micra and trying to convince people they are still make by the same people that make the GTR. Surely if u want a run about get a derv, audi/seat/Vw that kinda of thing

Hmm, if I were you, I'd go for something that I don't have to worry about where it was, something as Nixy and Stan point out is a bit more practical for moving Zed parts ;) and bit more economical, cheaper to insure, then you have more $$ left over for Zed parts. Eeek there's a theme going here. :lol:

Toyota's are reliable, don't break, and the parts are cheaper than other brands (guessing they are there too still). Really anything suitable as a run around, that would count a number of the Euro's. They might not be as fun as a Zed or a Boxster, but you'll probably enjoy & appreciate your Zeddy that much more when you're in it.

There you go Nixy one for you

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/utilities/nemo/nemo1.html :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously Mart - if you want a decent long distance briuser for work then diesel is the way to go - I would recommend a compromise between van and car though - get a Nissan Pathfinder ( I loved mine and its built like the proverbial brick convenience) Only time Nissan put decent paint on - they are going for cheap money now as they are Evil 4x4's but I was getting a decent mpg out of it and its got bags of room for shifting Zed parts and photography gear for Liz ;):teeth:

Gone but not forgotten :cry:

fBta2WlLqV.jpg

Is that citroen nemo for real? I want one!!!! Where do you find these things? :lol:

But seriously - a 4x4 is probably an even better idea for Martin (is he still listening or has he gone off and bought the porker?) :lol:

I saw a Nemo on the motorway yesterday - looks nice and rounded off - probably break down at the first corner though!!

MART DONT BUY THE PORKER - MONEY PITT!! People will spit at it and call you names!! Your too tall for it anyway its a toy car!! :lol: