I know the answer but -different tyres front + back

stanski

Front tyres are due to be changed pretty damn soon, dont want the Bridgestones although back ones are ok for a while yet so, will be buying Toyo's for front while save up to buy Toyos for back also - I know this is not best solution but do you think I am taking my life in my hands having 2 different brands fitted, even if its for a month or 2 only?? :headhurt:

Front tyres are due to be changed pretty damn soon, dont want the Bridgestones although back ones are ok for a while yet so, will be buying Toyo's for front while save up to buy Toyos for back also - I know this is not best solution but do you think I am taking my life in my hands having 2 different brands fitted, even if its for a month or 2 only?? :headhurt:

Ideally it would be best to have the same all round, but i think you will be ok for a month or two Stan. :thumbs: Just watch the different grip levels though between front and back ;)

Wont the fronts last another month?

Doesnt make the slightest bit of difference mate, as long as the tyres are the same on both sides. Just will give it a different feel which some people prefere! Im running Eagle F1's on the bk and 452's on the front

Yes I think its better to save the pennies and maybe use the dreaded credit card to get a whole set in one go - think they are 95% worn on the front so been told - off to pick up the money pit now from the dealers - catch you later - thanks again for the info. :)

Really not worth the risk IMHO, as that little bit of rubber is the only thing keeping you in contact with the road and that's not something I'd personally be willing to muck around with.

I'm in much the same situation as you myself Stan, so I can appreciate how you feel.

not to put a downer on this but ive ran different tyres on front/back before and found that having the worst tyres on the driven wheels to be quite an odd feeling,

id take it easy for a month if you do decide to do it, especially going to toyos, the difference is likely to be quite large...

Doesnt make the slightest bit of difference mate, as long as the tyres are the same on both sides. Just will give it a different feel which some people prefere! Im running Eagle F1's on the bk and 452's on the front

So what happens when the road gets really hot and you're really going for it and then suddenly you get a brief summer downpour? That sense of balance you're used to will disappear as the two axles will have varying rates of grip depending on temperature and surface conditions. In short, you'll lose all sense of progressiveness and consistency between the front and back ends, and that's only ever going to end in tears at some point.

You may drive like a granny for all I know in which case this may apply less to you, but what happens when some idiot pulls out in front of you and you need to make an emergency manoeuvre? You simply won't know how the car is going to react on different compounds, and having 1.5tons of metal, plastic and rubber not under control is very scary.

Not particularly having a go at you mate, just more stating the reasoning why mixed tyres front and back is a bad idea waiting to happen.

So what happens when the road gets really hot and you're really going for it and then suddenly you get a brief summer downpour? That sense of balance you're used to will disappear as the two axles will have varying rates of grip depending on temperature and surface conditions. In short, you'll lose all sense of progressiveness and consistency between the front and back ends, and that's only ever going to end in tears at some point.

You may drive like a granny for all I know in which case this may apply less to you, but what happens when some idiot pulls out in front of you and you need to make an emergency manoeuvre? You simply won't know how the car is going to react on different compounds, and having 1.5tons of metal, plastic and rubber not under control is very scary.

Not particularly having a go at you mate, just more stating the reasoning why mixed tyres front and back is a bad idea waiting to happen.

Fortunately Stan does drive like a granny but as you say, its not always easy to react to other factors such as other drivers and weather. He also does a lot of miles with passengers.

4 new ones :thumbs:

You might achieve a different oversteer/understeer balance by running different tyres front and back. The natural handling balance on a 350z is understeer for safety. You know your own car well enough to appreciate any changes in balance and decide if you they are to your liking.

I ran new Toyo's on front and original Bridgestones on back for about 2k miles, didn't notice any difference.

Thanks for info - just got back from the stealers - damn thing fishtailed on me badly up the road - ok its wet - but stuff it means working more weekend overtime but I know my priorities when it comes to tyres and brakes! :thumbs:

4x new Toyos soon as possible - hopefully get it sorted next week.

Thanks again from Grandma Stanski! (Cheeky fookers!) :lol::p

Odd that its fishtailing if the rear tyres are fine, you should just find more understeer if the fronts are shot, not oversteer.

Either way its a good excuse to get some better rubber which is always good!!

Odd that its fishtailing if the rear tyres are fine, you should just find more understeer if the fronts are shot, not oversteer.

Either way its a good excuse to get some better rubber which is always good!!

Thought you carried a spare vehicle on the back ;)

Odd that its fishtailing if the rear tyres are fine, you should just find more understeer if the fronts are shot, not oversteer

sorry forgot to mention - 1 tyre is 3mm the other is new on the back - so its new Toyos all round

But it does not matter what sort of tyres you have front or back or the same you are going to have this feeling what ever and you will be used to it i.e.

Best tyres possible front & back - you will get used to really good grip all round and will start to drive to make the most of it

Medioka tyres front & back - here you would find the balance totally different to the set above so would learn to drive to it

Different tyres front & back - again its just another combination that you would adjust to. It would not be a sudden "Oh not its raining whats happening" because you would get used to the felling, just as you would if you changes all the tyres (unless you stuck to the same tyres all the time)

But you don't get a chance to adjust to the feeling, as the different compounds will shrink and expand at very different rates, and as such you always have an element of uncertainty with those small patches of rubber keeping you on the road. Yes, you can work round it to some extent, but it's not something I'd ever be willing to risk my car and life on. I'd rather put a set of ditchfinders on all round and know that they're crap and adjust my driving style to suit than risk the unknown.

The point isn't getting used to a differing grip level, it's the uncertainty you add in to the equation.

How have you managed to wear down the fronts before the rears? :blush:

Did cross my mind but possibly second set of rears and original fronts.

That would mean he had done about 20k in a new zed, which must surely be financial suicide if thats the case? :surrender: