EBC Pads WARNING!!!!

sl114

I have just seen these pictures on another forum that i am on.

Pad1.jpg

pad2.jpg

This is after 12 months and approx 12k miles on an MG ZR 105

The following are also off a MG ZR 105 and have been on for 4 months, however they have been tracked.

DSCF1195.jpg

DSCF1196.jpg

DSCF1199.jpg

If anyone has EBC pads, redstuff or green, check them on occasions just to make sure they are ok as i would hate for anyone to have this happen and they fail on a motorway or track :thumbs:

Just to note, i am not havng a go at EBC, just highlighting that some people have had issues with the pads.

As an alternative to stock pads and for normal road use they are Ok but they don't like hard use and this is where they are a let down because they are marketed as a performance pad but there is a huge difference between the likes of Ferodo, Endless and Performance Friction to name just a few.

I think the big issue with the EBC pads have mostly been when they are subjected to things like track days etc. As a replacement for stock on a fairly normally driven car I think they are a fair replacement to stock BUT if you are going to be going on a track day steer clear (even though they are marketed as track days)

That said I know back in my saxo days a number of people ran EBC and found them great for the track days. Who knows. Low quality rates?

Fitted EBC redstuff pads and discs on my civic type r and i have to be honest they were attrocious. I eventually replaced them with genuine honda items which cost a lot more but gave me more confidence when high speed braking. would never fit them on any car even if they were free!!! IMO sorry EBC.

I had EBC Redstuff fitted to my RX8.

Hated them. Brake fade was horrendous. When I replaced them after 6 months, they had already started to fail and crack.

But on the other hand I know plenty of people who swear by them.

They look like Greenstuff, which aren't meant for track use. Wouldn't expect them to delaminate and break up like that though.

Always found redstuff acceptable for general road use. Yellowstuff seemed a bit harsh and only used them for about 3000 miles before changing to Redstuff. Only used Redstuff for one pad change and now running Ferodo 2500.

I use Yellow Stuff after finding loads of rave reviews. Great on road and track. They warm up quickly and bite very well. These stand up to great punishment as they are standard issue for a racing formula. Good quality and price.

I used EBC Yellow Stuff pads on my 400+bhp Skyline before the Zed and have to say they were superb and never had any issues on the road or track.......in fact, im buying a full set of EBC Yellow Stuff pads for the Zed today i found them that good :thumbs:

I had no probs with the redstuff but i never drove my car on the redline or tracked it............:blush:

Driving the car on the redline isn't going to affect the brakes :p

I have Redstuff in mine, an although they may not be an 'upgrade' IMO they are better than the OEM stuff. Have had no problems with them so far. :)

Basically (and even EBC themselves have admitted as much lately, hence them giving out a load of freebies to various different car club members across all performance marques) they've chronically mis-sold what the various pads are. The EBC line-up should look like this:

Greenstuff: Cheap and worse than OEM.

Redstuff: The equivalent to OEM.

Yellowstuff: Fast road (not track) pads.

This is why a lot of people are very happy with the Red and Yellow pads, as they actually will try and stop you, but the Green is simply a very budget pad that should never have been sold with a performance tag on at all. Personally I'm using the Performance Friction pads on mine as I wanted a pad that will funtion well on track, yet not squeal like a pig on the road (as sadly the excellent RS14s do). So far they've hit the nail on the head perfectly.

I had no probs with the redstuff but i never drove my car on the redline or tracked it............:blush:

Driving the car on the redline isn't going to affect the brakes :p

How about when you want to stop? ;)

Redline in first gear is only what, 35mph?? :lol::p

I've used EBC Yellow stuff pads which are the top rated pads from EBC, the only other option are the Blue Stuff, which don't stop as hard, but do last longer and so are recommended for the track, I would never use the Red/Green Stuff on the Zed as they are advised for smaller, slower cars - lets not forget that the Zed is a heavy car to stop when it's steaming along at 'Motorway Speeds' ;)

If you're track racing then te general EBCs to go for seem to be: Yellow Stuff or Blue Stuff.

Some links that you may find helpful:

http://www.k300performance.co.uk/ebc-brake-pads.htm

http://www.ferodo.net/frame-detail.asp? ... -stuff.htm

http://www.miata.net/products/perform/ebc.html#yellow

http://www.ebcbrakes.co.nz/reviews/

R[/url]

Worked in the team that originally developed the DS series for Ferodo and we did a lot of testing back then on most of the competition.

Didn't really rate EBC in any flavour and I think the only pads that we liked at the time were Pagid's. One of the problems at the time was the stiffness of the pad matrix on a lot of the performance pads which limits it's flexibility and it's ability to change to match the disc surface. This can lead to localised hot spotting and rapid pad/disc degradation.

The DS range used to be one basic matrix material with different fillers and friction modifiers added going from DS2000 - DS2500 - DS3000. We tried to give the range the largest performance envelope we could meaning that you still get decent cold performance but still retaining >4Mu on hot performance which a lot of performance pads still find it hard to match.

I know it's a few years ago now and materials have moved on but I still run DS2500's on my S14 (in R34 brembos) and still rate them highly compared to the competition, of the others I've tried I like Project Mu and Endless SSS although I'd like to try Pagids R14's.