EBC Pads WARNING!!!!

sl114

Worked in the team that originally developed the DS series for Ferodo and we did a lot of testing back then on most of the competition.

Didn't really rate EBC in any flavour and I think the only pads that we liked at the time were Pagid's. One of the problems at the time was the stiffness of the pad matrix on a lot of the performance pads which limits it's flexibility and it's ability to change to match the disc surface. This can lead to localised hot spotting and rapid pad/disc degradation.

The DS range used to be one basic matrix material with different fillers and friction modifiers added going from DS2000 - DS2500 - DS3000. We tried to give the range the largest performance envelope we could meaning that you still get decent cold performance but still retaining >4Mu on hot performance which a lot of performance pads still find it hard to match.

I know it's a few years ago now and materials have moved on but I still run DS2500's on my S14 (in R34 brembos) and still rate them highly compared to the competition, of the others I've tried I like Project Mu and Endless SSS although I'd like to try Pagids R14's.

dave ya lab rat :) , had a funny feeling you would post :) ... top info for the lads on the forum.... got that manta fired up and moved yet?

see ya at work pal in a few weeks when im back from belgium! festival time , roll on the rock werchter

• 2 weeks later...

The pictures clearly show the pad has been overheated beyond its operating temperature. Greenstuff aren't meant for track. and this is why..

Redstuff for road use, and yellow/bluestuff for track, but even then id only say there pads are ok. Theres much better pads out there.

I'm really disappointed to read all these critical comments about EBC pads. I chose to put RedStuff pads on mine after considering lots of previous posts on this forum from people who recommended them above the OEM pads. Either they have changed their minds very quickly or they chose to remain silent when others were posting positive views about them.

I am now concerned that I have made the wrong decision and may come to regret it in a few thousand miles.

I'm really disappointed to read all these critical comments about EBC pads. I chose to put RedStuff pads on mine after considering lots of previous posts on this forum from people who recommended them above the OEM pads. Either they have changed their minds very quickly or they chose to remain silent when others were posting positive views about them.

I am now concerned that I have made the wrong decision and may come to regret it in a few thousand miles.

+1 Just had redstuff fitted a few months ago all round cos of the great writups on previous posts claiming them to be far superior to OEM! im also v concerned now :dry:

Dont worry about the EBC's Jim ..I have them fitted for 18 months now and done a Silverstone session as well..no probs at all.. very impressed with them..also less dust than the OEM items..I certainly would fit them again (in fact I have a set ready on the shelf to go in for next time :) )

Dont worry about the EBC's Jim ..I have them fitted for 18 months now and done a Silverstone session as well..no probs at all.. very impressed with them..also less dust than the OEM items..I certainly would fit them again (in fact I have a set ready on the shelf to go in for next time :) )

Thanks for the reassurance, Tim. I'll reserve judgement for a while yet, then.

:thumbs:

+1

Dont worry, Redstuff ARE better than OEM. Greenstuff Aren't and there jus not suited to the Zed due to its power and weight.

Redstuff are a good road/fast road pad especially considering the price. I had them on my Zed and currently use them on the rear of my current car.

• 1 month later...

+1

Dont worry, Redstuff ARE better than OEM. Greenstuff Aren't and there jus not suited to the Zed due to its power and weight.

Redstuff are a good road/fast road pad especially considering the price. I had them on my Zed and currently use them on the rear of my current car.

So - Are the redstuff's ok for Brembo Brakes?

+1

So - Are the redstuff's ok for Brembo Brakes?

Not for a turbo car as your sig indicates.

So what are the options then? for Brembo's.

I don't spend the whole time in the car trying to see how high the boost gauge goes, but I have become aware that braking performance could be better. I'm standard at the moment, and trying to take my time over future mod's

cheers. :)

BTW. i'm sure I saw a neat set of eyebrows on your car in a thread the other day. where were they from

So what are the options then? for Brembo's.

I don't spend the whole time in the car trying to see how high the boost gauge goes, but I have become aware that braking performance could be better. I'm standard at the moment, and trying to take my time over future mod's

cheers. :)

BTW. i'm sure I saw a neat set of eyebrows on your car in a thread the other day. where were they from

Our preference would be as follows:-

Ferodo DS2500 £175 full set

Performance Friction £200 full set.

The eyebrows we supply at £65 pair

350zyurgan037.jpg

Ok :thumbs: - coupla more questions then.

a) What about discs for road use.

B) I liked the way the brows you had continued inside the engine bay, I presem they are fixed inside. Can you do Gunmetal or is it just Carbon Black?

DBA are good quality discs, dont have prices here send me a PM and I will give you prices tommorow.

Headlight brows are real carbon but can be painted.

I used these disks;

http://www.zfever.com/catalog/default.p ... h=52_64_55

although they look slightly different to the illustration (better than the illustrations IMO) and in total cost approx $450 (£225 including import tax, freight etc).

I spent a fair bit of time talking to the guy @ Zfever before sending this amount of money offshore and found out that he supplies the local Nissan main dealer with upgrades.

The pads are cross drilled and also have grooves cut into them, they not only brake well - they also look awesome through the alloys: http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll17 ... 134701.jpg

compared to standard disk:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll17 ... C00545.jpg

WIth EBC yellow stuff pads which I have used for 2 yrs now without any issues - I don't track the car, but I have some very fast roads round my neck of the woods and lets just say the Z gets a good workout and this combo of brakes has been fantastic and improved from the standards no end. :thumbs:

How they would fair on the track I'm not sure, the disks would definately take it.....the pads - I cannot comment.