Bloody Indicators

Dicky

Is it just me or do others have problems with the indicators. I posted a couple of years ago regarding a near miss I had. Id just made a left turn and a little way down the road a woman pulled out from the left thinking I was turning in :rant: . I gave her hell, fingers horn (not that sort) and verbals only to discover that my left indicator was still going. :blush:

The same things happened a couple of times since.

Yes I know Ive got the blinking lights on the dash; but I cant always see them given my hand position on the wheel and dont hear the ticking cos of the music.

Anyone know where the flasher unit is located. Going to see if I can mod it to make it louder. If not, then plan B :wacko:

I've also posted on this issue before. It's not the loudness thats the problem its the fact that they don't return after a left turn. I've had the Zed back at the dealers on three occasions and after road testing they sayall Zeds are all the same. I wrote to Nissan UK suggesting there was a design fault but to no avail. I've now got used to manually returning the indicators after a left turn.

Self cancel works fine for me. Having said that I've always had a habit of tapping the indicator stick when returning the wheel to centre after a turn.

Now if you want to compare them to a car that really sucks drive and Astra. Self cancel didn't work and there seemed to be no neutral point. i.e. if you tried to cancel it yourself, say on a motorway after changing lane, the indicator would indicate right then left then right. Only had the car for a weekend but never again. I've been told they've fixed that problem on newer models.

No problem with the Z.

Perhaps the wheel isn’t in it’s ideal position for you? A slight change in height could make all the difference.

I've also posted on this issue before. It's not the loudness thats the problem its the fact that they don't return after a left turn. I've had the Zed back at the dealers on three occasions and after road testing they sayall Zeds are all the same. I wrote to Nissan UK suggesting there was a design fault but to no avail. I've now got used to manually returning the indicators after a left turn.

Yeh my local dealer said the same thing (an easy get out phrase). I might take a look at the mechanism to see if it can be moded but if not will revert to getting the indicators to make more sound.

By the way does anyone know if the maintenance cd's on ebay are any good or if anyone on the forum can supply CD's especially with good wiring diagrams.

Definitely a noticeable irritation with the car, they do not cancel as quickly as other cars and are not the same for each turn.

I'd like to turn indicator volume up a bit and reversing beep[uK car] down [had this discussion before] or alter when the trip to cancel is triggered.

My old zed wasnt that bad to be honest, however when you apply opposite lock, it pretty much means you need to self cancel! ;)

On a few occasions i have had to self cancel the indicator, its just paying attention to it and then turning it off when you need to really :thumbs:

Maybe the cancelling mechanism can be adjusted and optimised cos some seem to have little in the way of problems, I'll check when I get the time. Thanks to Mr GIXXERUK for the info others for input :thumbs:

Had a chat with a guy yesterday who runs an Auto electrician business in Jarrow. He says a mod is available (and hes getting it in at the back end of this month) to make the indicator clicking sound come through the speakers in order to alert you if theve been left on.

Needless to say Im booked in :thumbs:

Also he said he can fit a "Total closure pack" that closes the windows and turns the wing mirrors inboard when you lock the car from the fob. Approx costs are £70 for the control unit and £ 50 to fit it.

Had a chat with a guy yesterday who runs an Auto electrician business in Jarrow. He says a mod is available (and hes getting it in at the back end of this month) to make the indicator clicking sound come through the speakers in order to alert you if theve been left on.

Can you give details, maybe my local auto electrics place could also get the mod and fit it.

Can you give details, maybe my local auto electrics place could also get the mod and fit it.

He didnt give any details at the time only to say he was aware of the mod from other auto electricians who had fitted it. He gets his new list of modifications on 22nd of this month, so Ill know more then. However it might be worth ringing your guys to enquire cos the might have the mod already.

If I get any further info I'll pass it on though :thumbs:

On this subject - does anyone have a problem that when they have their lights on and go to indicate, it's quite easy to roll the headlight switch at the same time by accident and just turn them off. I've done this a couple of times now!

Yep, normally when quickly trying to cancel them when I've realised they haven't done it!! :lol::blush:

Ditto, or bash them forward and give someone a flash of high beam :blush:

Oh I do that to all the 3 series / A4 / Golf owners with their foglights on! :lol:

Yep, normally when quickly trying to cancel them when I've realised they haven't done it!! :lol::blush:

Oh I do that to all the 3 series / A4 / Golf owners with their foglights on! :lol:

Do you wear a long raincoat as well? :p

Do you wear a long raincoat as well? :p

:wacko::p

• 5 months later...

I know it’s been more than a while but I said Id get back on this one. Well the auto electrician who said there was a mod for this problem didn’t come through. Ive chased him long enough but he keeps fobbing me off. Guess there isn’t one.

Anyway I recon Ive solved the problem myself. Its not the most elegant solution but its cheap, easy to fit and works a treat.

I used two Radio Spares audible alarms (small things which take milliamps of current to operate) and connected one to each rear indicator, I said it was simple. The type I used allows various sounds depending on the setting of a little duel in line switch.

When the indicators are on I can hear the “beepâ€