New Z33 Owner - Based in Japan

Hi all,

I'm a new Z owner based in Nagoya, Japan. Up until August last year i was based in the UK - originally a Somerset boy. After a while of figuring out how the hell i buy a car here i settled on a Z33. Originally i was shooting between Silvias, Skylines and Altezzas.

The car is a bone-stock '02 with 134,000kms. It is poised to get the full JDM treatment; bit by bit and track by track I'll develop this thing into something worth keeping for the long term. 

It has a few issues i'm working on at the moment; but to be expected with an 18-ish year old car: the door droops a tad, the idle is inconsistent and light-throttle is hesitant - it seems to pull fine at WOT. 

In the immediate term - other than fixing those issues - the parts list is something like this: bushes and suspension (i picked up some tanabe's w/TEAS today), wheels/tires, brakes, exhaust, sway bars.

So anyhow, see below for some piccys from today:

IMG_5997-1.jpg

IMG_5998-2.jpg

IMG_5999-3.jpg

• Like 4

23 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

:welcome:  to the forum: Best Colour:  Enjoy:

Cheers, i agree although i'm partial to the blue and black also.

21 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Welcome Nice, lots of good roads down there im sure

Abso-f***in-lutely. It's gorgeous pal. I woke up extra early this morning and blitzed down to the bay to catch sunrise.

21 hours ago, Umster said:

I bet the W Brace looks brand spanking new! Welcome to the OC and send us plenty of photos of the car around Japan! 

I've been surprised at the sheer quality of all the cars here - they're pristine. Plenty of pics to come. I'll start a build thread once I've got a few more parts installed - you'd cry at how cheap wheels are here.

21 hours ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Hi and welcome along buddy. Nice looking car indeed.

Cheers! I'm looking forward to modding it. 

Cleaned out the intake system and did the idle reset today - absolutely filthy. I need to swap out the PCV soon but haven't had the balls to go to the Nissan parts counter wih google translate yet.

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-28 at 13.23.59.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice Fairlady!  White looks good on them I think.

I lived a couple of hours north of you, in Hida-Kamioka, back in 2003/4.  I got a Silvia Q's (145hp SR20DE) and had an absolute blast, but a Z33 is definitely a step or two up !  I remember sitting in the local Nissan garage, waiting for them to replace my knackered bouncy coilovers with stock parts, flicking through a Z33 brochure when they'd just come out and thinking 'maybe one day' :-)  

I found the local hashiriya very friendly to an English guy with a shared interest, you can read a bit more here  https://drivetribe.com/p/meeting-the-hashiriya-bJ5Sf6a0TPuKbW-mamKZLA?iid=Lf-NR1zCSNyclpMyMufMDw

so if you have a chance to introduce yourself to any locals with nice cars, I recommend it!  Also there are some nice touge up in Hida, probably closed by snow until April tho'. 

I also made a pilgrimage to Mt Akina (Haruna) in Gunma, the setting of Initial D, although that's only for otaku like me really ;)

I was teaching English on the JET scheme, was a lot of fun once I found my feet.

2 hours ago, Samoht said:

Nice Fairlady!  White looks good on them I think.

I lived a couple of hours north of you, in Hida-Kamioka, back in 2003/4.  I got a Silvia Q's (145hp SR20DE) and had an absolute blast, but a Z33 is definitely a step or two up !  I remember sitting in the local Nissan garage, waiting for them to replace my knackered bouncy coilovers with stock parts, flicking through a Z33 brochure when they'd just come out and thinking 'maybe one day' :-)  

I found the local hashiriya very friendly to an English guy with a shared interest, you can read a bit more here  https://drivetribe.com/p/meeting-the-hashiriya-bJ5Sf6a0TPuKbW-mamKZLA?iid=Lf-NR1zCSNyclpMyMufMDw

so if you have a chance to introduce yourself to any locals with nice cars, I recommend it!  Also there are some nice touge up in Hida, probably closed by snow until April tho'. 

I also made a pilgrimage to Mt Akina (Haruna) in Gunma, the setting of Initial D, although that's only for otaku like me really ;)

I was teaching English on the JET scheme, was a lot of fun once I found my feet.

That's awesome; i was absolutely in the market for an S14/S13 N/A (DE) but it just so happened that the Z came up at a reasonable price. The Silvias are only appreciating in value these days. 

I'm going to be more or less doing the same things. I've made a couple of hashiriya friends (see pics below), both running S15's. The intention is to get the Z up to this kind of spec. Nowadays there's quite a few more foreigners in the racer scene helping keep it alive. You were lucky to be here during the peak of the culture.

Currently on S4 E16 of Initial D.

It takes a while to immerse yourself/figure out what the f*** is going on - but yes, it's absolutely amazing. I'm working in automotive engineering currently (ADAS development), although teaching english is definitely on the cards. A caveat of life here is corporate work culture; as i'm sure you know.   

IMG_2778-3.jpg

IMG_2820-5.jpg

IMG_2839-13.jpg

• Like 1

Learn the language as fast as possible. Makes life a lot easier. Its possible within a few months to pick up a lot. Writing can come later. Even in my own country they speak English. But its not regular queens English. So people look at you funny and ask why are you speaking Englands English to us :lol:

Theres a place near Wangan I think, where they have huge meets. A parking lot below a web of bridges. Usually see a lot of instagram pictures from there

Wow, I love that last pic especially, your friend looks super-kakkoii and his S15 too !  I'm really happy to see that the scene is still going in Japan and still welcoming to people from overseas.  Yeah I should've hung onto my Silvia, sold it for 5,000 yen when I left Japan back in '04!!

What kind of power are those two S15s running?  300hp? more?  What are you looking at for your Z33?  I've been recommended the following by a friend who autocrossed them successfully in the states:

* Better Brakes, Oil cooler, maybe diff cooler
* Wider & square wheel/tyres, stiffer front ARB, proper LSD, aftermarket arms for more camber on the front, possibly stiffer springs.

- obviously that's focused on cornering rather than power or styling.  I haven't got around to tuning my own car yet so no personal experience.

Actually I work in AV development here in Cambridge :) might send you a PM sometime on the topic.

15 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Learn the language as fast as possible. Makes life a lot easier. Its possible within a few months to pick up a lot. Writing can come later. Even in my own country they speak English. But its not regular queens English. So people look at you funny and ask why are you speaking Englands English to us :lol:

Theres a place near Wangan I think, where they have huge meets. A parking lot below a web of bridges. Usually see a lot of instagram pictures from there

I know, i know - you're totally right. It becomes especially acute as soon as you need something other than a ramen; say, getting my damn rear knuckle bushes replaced this week. 日本語は下手。でも、よく勉強する。For the rest of you, that basically says my Japanese is sh**e but i'm studying alot. 

Daikoku PA - that's the one. The Osaka ones, although less well known, usually see a good amount of action.  

15 hours ago, Samoht said:

Wow, I love that last pic especially, your friend looks super-kakkoii and his S15 too !  I'm really happy to see that the scene is still going in Japan and still welcoming to people from overseas.  Yeah I should've hung onto my Silvia, sold it for 5,000 yen when I left Japan back in '04!!

What kind of power are those two S15s running?  300hp? more?  What are you looking at for your Z33?  I've been recommended the following by a friend who autocrossed them successfully in the states:

* Better Brakes, Oil cooler, maybe diff cooler
* Wider & square wheel/tyres, stiffer front ARB, proper LSD, aftermarket arms for more camber on the front, possibly stiffer springs.

- obviously that's focused on cornering rather than power or styling.  I haven't got around to tuning my own car yet so no personal experience.

Actually I work in AV development here in Cambridge :) might send you a PM sometime on the topic.

Fortunately it is; late at night I frequently hear people tapping the limiters on the highway nearby. I would have loved to have seen it back in the early 2000's. 5,000 yen though - those were the days. N/A DE Silvias are around with 700k now (£5000) with or without a shaken (MOT).

The white one is probably pushing above that, whilst the red one is around that mark - it only has modest mods.

For this year it's probably going to be the following:

Coilovers (the tanabe's i mentioned above), bushes, wheels and tires (Volks, Enkeis, Wedsports or Works in approx. 10j +15), catback, brake disks/pads, and sway bars. The rest will be maintenance and see what the financial situation is like.

Next year: proper LSD (1.5 way), hydro handbrake, plenum spacer, high-flow cats and headers. TBH the latter is really dependent on whether the car will exceed the limitations for shaken. That goes for the arms and knuckles also - they most likely won't pass inspection so i'll have to assess what facilities i have at the time.

Styling-wise: Nismo V2 kit and CF panels/lids but this is just dream talk - not a priority at all.  

Feel free to shoot me a message any time. I'm not sure how much help i can be seeing as my answer is typically: "put a V8 in it".

13 hours ago, davey_83 said:

ello n welkom

stick around

Cheers pal. Absolutely!

I should probably add some pics of the cars i had back in the UK while i'm here. I was the proud owner of two gutless machines: an RX8 and an IS200. First pic is at Castle Combe.

10401368_692486380842113_1801273778127237412_n_zpsd7c6a2ba.JPG

rx8-1.jpg

IMG_6566-2.jpg

• Like 2