Better Model or New Car?

steviesZ

Hi Guys,

First noob post :bye: Having tested the 350Z a few weeks ago i was totally smitten (so was the other half :scare: ) and am now looking to make a purchase.

The budget (after begging, stealing, borrowing and a bit of finance) wont quite stretch to a new one unless i go for the non-GT spec.

My question is (all advice greatly appreciated) do i go for a new non-GT spec model or a fully loaded (sat-nav et al) GT on an 07 or 57 plate?

I would obviously prefer the Leather and Bose System but cant see the cruise control getting a lot of use :teeth: My concern in that these nearly new cars, although very low mileage, have not been looked after properly. They are normally ex-demo or ex-management (?) cars so have probably had a fair bit of stick in their first few thousand miles and not been run in below 4000rpm in the first 1200 miles as recommended.

I am sure this is the case as the dealer let me and the other half take the car away for the afternoon. It only had a few hundred miles on the clock and do you think i kept it below 4000rpm :)

All advice greatly appreciated. Apologies for long winded post :blush:

Glad you like the Zed. :welcome: by the way!

Tough decision, non GT is fine I believe however I personally like the toys. I couldn't comment on the ex management cars as I haven't had experience of them.

You could keep an eye on Pistonheads for private cars appearing too.

:welcome: If it was me I think I would be tempted to go for a management owned 07 MY with all the toys as the resale value is likely to be higher than a non GT.

The cars generally have a good reputation for reliability and don't usually suffer from a good thrashing :D You will naturally have a good lump of the warranty remaining so would be covered for any eventualities.

Hi bud, welcome to the forum. Glad you like the car and the other half liking it too makes life easier :D

Sounds like you definately want the GT so go for it. I bought a demo but my local dealer doesnt seem to go for letting owners run off with the cars so a little less risky. I save a bit of money to use on mods.

Have you got your heart set on a new car. I would consider making a good saving on one which was bought new by a member and has been loved and looked after. You will have a few more pounds for mods and the car will be at least as good as the day it left the dealers.

Dont know whats in the for sale section at the moment but worth considering. :D

I was thinking similar thoughts myself, but i ended up ordering a new 313ps non-gt, mostly for piece of mind, and i wasn't bothered about the gt pack contents and price!

I want to fit my own sound system, and so 2.5K for leather seats was a bit much.

It all comes down to how much a correctly run in car is worth to you. i'm not looking at resale value at all, its all about owner number one! :lol:

Welcome to ZED land :thumbs: . Having been around on this site for a couple of years and on my second one, it is quite clear the non GT versions are harder to sell and a trusted dealer friend has verified this several times. That said, if you want to install your own ice, not bothered about the leather and don't want to have a ready bluetooth set-up then maybe the saving is worth it. Personally, I find the criuse option quite useful on motorways and more so now with the increasing numbers of 'specs'. The accelerate/decelerate buttons can be used quite effectively on motorways - I found they were more responsive with the 276bhp engine compared to the 296bhp engine I now have - don't know how they are with the 313 though?

As your budget is a bit tight for a new one, then a well cared for one-owner GT would, IMO be your best bet. Personally I would be bit wary about demos - lets face it you do get the likes who have no intention of buying just wanting a free thrash* and frankly some salesmen are just as bad and if Nissan say a 1200 mile running in period should be observed there must a reeason for that.

* I've done that in days gone by just to experience the the car concerned and believe me on those occasions my right foot got very heavy ;)

Have a look on Pistonheads and also the for sale section on this site for what you might get for your money. It is clear some are getting concerned about the present monetary situation are are selling virtually new cars for give-away prices so keep your eyes open for a bargain. Good luck. :)

Personally I'd go nearly new and get the goodies whilst someone else takes the depreciation hit - that hit is only going to get greater as the car gets older and the 370Z approaches. Non-GTs can be very hard to sell on privately.

There's a healthy debate over running in anyway, with some having caned the cars from day one with no ill effects and others who have followed the script having problems.

Welcome to the site, anyway! :thumbs:

Just as a little note, my friend bought his Zed new 276 model and he run it in. It consumed so much oil! It's the only 276 I've heard of taking that much oil.

The dealer asked him why he had run it in! He said give it the full rev range.......

Opinions vary!

Just as a little note, my friend bought his Zed new 276 model and he run it in. It consumed so much oil! It's the only 276 I've heard of taking that much oil.

The dealer asked him why he had run it in! He said give it the full rev range.......

Opinions vary!

I ran my 296 version in to the letter and it still uses oil :wacko:

Either go used GT model, or better speak to Phil at ESR to see what he can get in that price range. Sure it will be looked after and fully seviced/checked before you get it.

Could be an import with lots of extra toys and still put £2k in the bank in case you had to repair something outside of warrenty. Chances are unless you get an old one with gearbox issues any work that would be normally covered by a UK warrenty one, would be way less than £2k

Thanks for all your replys :thumbs:

Still undecided but leaning towards a nearly new model with the toys (the bluetooth and r/p sensors would be especially useful).

Went and had another look today and managed to get another few hundred quid off a new non-gt. Dealer offered 25,700 for brand new non-gt including metallic. I think thats s good discount based on my research. Unfortunately there were hardly any nearly new ex demo or ex management cars in the system :(

Quick ridiculous question what does the MY mean when people are writing about their Zeds?

Thanks again guys. I'll hopefully be posting some pics of my nearly new silver 350z GT in the not too distant future :)

After suffering crippling depreciation a few years back on a new car (not a Z), I vowed I would never do that again. Nearly new makes much more sense, especially if you get a substantial warranty remainder.

Still undecided but leaning towards a nearly new model with the toys (the bluetooth and r/p sensors would be especially useful).

Went and had another look today and managed to get another few hundred quid off a new non-gt. Dealer offered 25,700 for brand new non-gt including metallic. I think thats s good discount based on my research. Unfortunately there were hardly any nearly new ex demo or ex management cars in the system :(

Quick ridiculous question what does the MY mean when people are writing about their Zeds?

Thanks again guys. I'll hopefully be posting some pics of my nearly new silver 350z GT in the not too distant future :)

MY03 was the first version in 2003, followed by two facelifts with power increases MY06 and MY07. MY07 is the one with bonnet bulge. :thumbs:

Pistonheads currently have a couple of MY7 GTs around the £25k mark if the silver one is not for you, or at least they give you a reference point about price: ;)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.a ... &nodays=60

Personally I'd go with a 2nd hand car. I think it's fair to say that residuals have taken a knock since the budget and the tax increase, certainly I've noticed an increase in cars when I search for my (lower) budget. That being the case why take the initial "new car" depreciation as well as the "oh no it's expensive to tax" depreciation.

Just my non-owner opinion.

Welcome to the forum :thumbs:

A second hand GT would be the way to go. £150 spent with a decent detailer should correct any paint swirls and get it in top notch condition for you. Look forward to the pics.

Pistonheads currently have a couple of MY7 GTs around the £25k mark if the silver one is not for you, or at least they give you a reference point about price: ;)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.a ... &nodays=60

Thanks for link, bud. This one has everything, including the colour i want, for a similar price to brand new non-gt http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/450545.htm.

Think i'll give them a call in the morning though the name of the company 'Redline Motor Company' doesn't suggest 'one careful owner' has run it in gently :lol:

[This one has everything, including the colour i want, for a similar price to brand new non-gt http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/450545.htm.

Think i'll give them a call in the morning though the name of the company 'Redline Motor Company' doesn't suggest 'one careful owner' has run it in gently :lol:

Looks OK from the ad :thumbs: - not sure their about their description

"Revised Bonnet incorporating a hump"

Sounds like they would do better sellings camels :lol: