Cheshiregirl

Valve cap issues

Quick question, had my zed serviced however my mechanic suggested to get rid of the zed type valve caps as they corrode into the valve. Had trouble getting 1 of them off. Is this something others have experienced? 

Are they aluminium? Have had this with cheap ebay ones in the past they bond to the valve. Best solution is to just pop a little grease onto the valve thread before screwing the caps on.

Then yes like any alu ones they will stick. I have moved onto black plastic valve caps, they just come off no problem each time :teeth:

Yes. Fancy metal valve caps are nice but you are much better off with bog standard plastic ones, precisely because they won't corrode and get stuck on the valves.

My wife and I have both had this issue in the past on my 370z and her 350z. It was a nightmare to get off when needing to put air in the tyre. As above best off sticking to standard caps I am afraid. 

I had custom ones on my 370z Nismo and 350z. The key is making sure they are greased every time you check your tyre pressures which I did every two weeks as a matter of good practice. Do this and you will be fine if you want to avoid using the black plastic ones.

To be honest who has ever looked at a car and thought 'oooh lovely valve caps' ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The choice is endless. Personally I think they set the rims off nicely. I had purple ones on my asterism Work Emotions. Stock plastic would have spoiled their look.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=custom+valve+caps&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=+valve+caps&_sacat=0

Edited by Payco

go custom , I have had the same problem a bit of grease sorts it,or be like my wife who put square dice caps on, which give you good grip to take them off and on, thinking of getting yellow ones for the yellow fellow :teeth:

9 hours ago, coldel said:

To be honest who has ever looked at a car and thought 'oooh lovely valve caps' ;)

The bastard thieves that nicked mine on two occasions..

Rocking plastic ones now and they've stayed safely on the wheels.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, zelda said:

Agreed!  The bastarts that like tae steal them seem tae love them :lol:

I've had umpteen sets stolen, stick with plastic now :surrender:

2 hours ago, sipar69 said:

Seriously, once the plastic ones are on you'll forget about them.  

Absolutely bang on the money. The great thing is they just twist off when you need them to and you can buy 20 of them in a pack for almost nothing. And no one will ever notice ;)

• Like 1

On 21/01/2020 at 22:59, zelda said:

I had a nice set on the Zed, and some on our Jag, and sodding kids nicked them all for their BMX bikes!!!

1 hour ago, Paul K said:

I had a nice set on the Zed, and some on our Jag, and sodding kids nicked them all for their BMX bikes!!!

I hope you nicked em back!