Honda's new hatchback EV

GranTurismoEra

Close to final version. Honda want to release this year!

Like the design! Rear wheel drive, 4 seater and battery under the rear of the car. up to 120 mile range. 

Lets see how it performs and final price under £40k I think the leaf is around £33k

Now translate that to the next gen Civic and youre onto something!

I also think the model 3 will be a hit when it comes. 

Good time to give electric a go?!

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Not quite in the UK.

$35k Model 3 starts US deliveries next month, after incentives the price in the US is as low as $27k. 220 EPA rated real life miles, 0-60 5.6 seconds, RWD, ok boot.

It's almost given the Model 3 in the US is going to end up the best selling car in 2019, it's likely to virtually kill off BMW 3 series sales, which is already floundering this year even before the $35k Model 3.

Sadly we wouldn't see the cheap Model 3 for another 12 month. But come 2020 there is going to be whole selection of EVs with 200miles+ range at the £30k mark. Add in BIK tax rates for EVs plummeting in 2020, next year will be when EV sales in the UK should really take off.

15 minutes ago, gangzoom said:

It's almost given the Model 3 in the US is going to end up the best selling car in 2019, it's likely to virtually kill off BMW 3 series sales, which is already floundering this year even before the $35k Model 3.

*pfffftttttsssshhhppptttt* 

Coffee, meet keyboard :lol::lol::lol: 

They can't even ship the bloody things to meet demand, so how can it remotely be close to the best selling car in the US this year?! Remind me of this post come Jan 1st 2020, and if it did happen I'll send you a box of Curly Wurlys.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Final price under £40k 

Woah and you think the Alpine is expensive, as with all these repeated discussions, its definitely worth giving electric a go if you have zero interest in anything other than getting a short a to b distance for as cheap as possible.

9 hours ago, Ekona said:

They can't even ship the bloody things to meet demand, so how can it remotely be close to the best selling car in the US this year?! Remind me of this post come Jan 1st 2020, and if it did happen I'll send you a box of Curly Wurlys.

Its true if you look at sales of 3 series there has been a huge slide in sales since 2014. The error is to look at two variables (BMW 3 series sales vs Model 3) and assume one is linked to the other because they correlate. This is where 99% of the population who do not understand the difference between correlation and causality often fall over with conclusions. You cannot predict causality with such a basic view of the landscape, I am pretty sure electric tech blogs/websites will be shouting this headline about finishing off the 3 series but based on facts, they cannot prove it and are most likely completely incorrect in their conclusions.

What underlying theme that is really happening in the US for German marques is that families are trading across platforms from 'sedans' to SUVs and often staying within brand. I am sure I read somewhere at the back end of last year that in the US BMW brand sales are up year on year (cant be bother to source that). What is more interesting is looking at the landscape to see Prius sales collapsing at the same time, it would be interesting to dig out some data that shows there could be a simple switch from different forms of hybrid into full electric, certainly in my mind that would make more sense.

• Like 1

Its crazy. Alpine at 51k....cant see it, especially on a reworked Megane Engine Not a lot for many people.  Ill stick with getting a 370Z instead. 

This car has a terrible range. A couple of accelerations from the lights and youl need a recharge. The LEAF has a better range. This just looks better. Although the design is nice

718 at £60,000 well what can I say. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

12 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I wonder what the price is going to be

Model 3 will be about £31k for 220 miles EPA rated range, and £38k for 330 miles.

I really hope the Honda will have alot more range than the quoted 'upto 120 miles', that's about the same as my old 2015 Leaf.

If Honda is going to stick to just 120 miles of range (100 miles real life max) than I cannot see anyone paying more than £20k for one. 

On 04/03/2019 at 23:21, Ekona said:

I don't think your need to wait till 2020, by Q2 it'll be at the top, than just a case of how quickly Tesla can chuck the cars out.

The headline $35k Model 3 price is before any incentives. In the US this varies from state to state, but essentially in some parts of the US $22-26k is enough to get you into a Model 3.

A base spec Toyota Corolla is $19k, the Model 3 even in base spec does 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds. Why would you buy a Corolla?

Add to that Tesla is a GO USA brand, Toyota sold 340K Camrys last year, itll be a close race.....or maybe not.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/03/01/what-does-28750-to-35000-tesla-model-3-mean-for-the-us-auto-market/

Edited by gangzoom

https://www.motor1.com/features/280320/best-selling-vehicles-us-list/

426,168. That’s the amount of RAV4s sold in the US in the last year, the most popular selling car (I’ll ignore the trucks above it for fairness). You actually think the Model 3 will be able to push those kind of numbers? 

Theyre currentky making approx 5700 Model 3s per week. That makes annual manufactured cars (not sold) of just under 300,000. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Even assuming that Tesla ramp up production, that’s still a fair bit off. 

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

https://www.motor1.com/features/280320/best-selling-vehicles-us-list/

426,168. That’s the amount of RAV4s sold in the US in the last year, the most popular selling car (I’ll ignore the trucks above it for fairness). You actually think the Model 3 will be able to push those kind of numbers? 

Theyre currentky making approx 5700 Model 3s per week. That makes annual manufactured cars (not sold) of just under 300,000. https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

Even assuming that Tesla ramp up production, that’s still a fair bit off. 

For a company who sold a bunch of hand built cars in 2009, to now challenging Toyota for the highest selling car/truck in just a decade.....I would say that's pretty good going which ever way you look at it :).

Meanwhile Honda wants to sell you a £30k hatchback with half the range, and available some in 2020.

1 hour ago, gangzoom said:

For a company who sold a bunch of hand built cars in 2009, to now challenging Toyota for the highest selling car/truck in just a decade.....I would say that's pretty good going which ever way you look at it :).

...and completely irrelevant to the discussion.

2 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

So whats your choice, a base spec Cayman at £44k without an option ticked or a £36k Leaf, I know what I would rather have ;)

lol, Each to their own. To be part of the Porsche club makes sense to get a decent spec. I know its a porsche, but a 4 pot turbo can be had in many similar cars from VW tbh. If im getting a porsche it needs to be better than a base 4 pot. , 3.4, 3.8.....not 2.0 but everyones different. 

I just dont see porsche as a 4 cylinder even though they offer it same with jaguar and others. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

16 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

lol, Each to their own. 

Sorry you added a lot after just the above, so yes a better spec Porsche would of course be more attractive, but thats not relevant to the topic re what you get for your money and nor is i would prefer a 370z, vw etc, merely pointing out @ £36k for an electric runaround, a base spec 718 @ £44k is incredible value for money imho which is a complete turnaround from being in agreement with you that that is expensive for a 4 pot turbo not so long ago :thumbs:

Edited by Jetpilot

Nissan leafs plumit in value also over the first few years, one of the worst depreciating cars you can get, is there any evidence to say the model 3 or Honda-e is gonna be any different?

7 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

...and completely irrelevant to the discussion.

100% relevant.

The $35K 220 miles EPA range Model 3 is the bar set very very high for every other EV on the market. 

You cannot seriously tell me you some one looking at a small EV will be happy to pay nearly £40K for this Honda EV with half the range of a £30K Model 3??

Competition is great for us consumers, the more EVs the come the quicker prices will fall. 

27 minutes ago, G1en@waxandshine said:

Nissan leafs plumit in value also over the first few years, one of the worst depreciating cars you can get, is there any evidence to say the model 3 or Honda-e is gonna be any different?

Have you seen what Nissan Leaf prices are doing at present??!!

They essentially haven't gone done in the last 18 months, infact WBAC is increasing their offer for used Leafs. The reason prices crashed in 2015/16 was because Nissan flooded the market with cheap lease/PCP deals, which have now stopped.

Lightly used Kona EV are currently selling at above list price.