Dave's '07 Gunmetal Grey GT

daveo132

Hmm so this seems odd. 

Coil cut out again yesterday then came back. It cut out long enough to cause a check engine light. 

However, I've gone to read the codes and nothing is there. 

Is it possible that because the fault went away (the coil pack came back online) that its clearing the code? 

In typical fashion it drove from Spa to Cardiff without missing a beat. :lol:

At some point I'm sure this coil with die completely and then I'll have a code to go by.

Edited by daveo132

Jobs for the rest of this summer...

• Find that damn dodgy coil
  • New front drivers side wheel well liner (after it got ripped apart in a pothole)
  • New rear brake pads
  • New (used) AC Compressor
  • MOT
  • Find annoying metallic rattle

This concludes my TED talk.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 10:55, daveo132 said:

Problem is, no code, no idea which coil it is. 

It's straightforward to find which is defective. When it's misfiring, disconnect a coil at a time and see if it gets worse or stays the same. If it stays the same then that’s the bad coil.

I had considered that, but it's not happening for long enough at the moment.

Happened for about 30 sec twice now in places where I've not been able to pull over.  Then it clears itself up and doesn't leave a code and doesn't come back for days if at all.

Coil done.

Bit of a pain in the ass really.  It's not a hard job, I just wish my hands where about half the size they are :lol:

Didn't take too long, just fighting with the harness a bit.

Good news is the bottom of the spark plug hole was dry, so no leaky rocker cover.

I had coil packs 2 & 6 fail on me last month.

As I'm not mechanically minded I got all 6 replaced for peace of mind.

Keeping the other 4 old ones that didn't fail in the boot as spares.

Garage reassured me my plugs were oil free too and rocker cover seal was still good.

Edited by HEADPHONES

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the fuel port fitted.  After the O ring issue I had months ago, I never got back to it.

Funny thing is though, it's only reading 2 Bar at idle which seem quite low (seems it should be more like 3.0/3.5 Bar).  But the car drives fine so I thinking it's under reading.

I might not keep it anyway.  See what happens.

I'm also a bit concerned about the fuel hose rubbing on the brake booster hose.

• 1 month later...

So the car took a beating a few weeks ago.

I've lived on a new build site for the past 5 years, with some pretty poor roads but never had an issue.

A month ago the started cutting back all the tarmac for resurfacing and I ended up clouting the splitter and breaking the arch liner etc.  I was moving at walking pace before any asks.  But, where the put down temporary  tarmac, they did a @*!# job and left a huge step that I couldn't see is it was under the nose of the car, coming around the junction.

Such is the life of the lowered I suppose. :headhurt:

Anyway, the car will need to go in at some point to get that sorted but there may be a new addition going the car that I've been keeping under my hat for ages.

I'm also considering swapping out my 19inch wheels for some 18s

I do like these wheels, but 19's on the state of the roads in Wales, is just not nice experience.  It's probably why my front suspension is suffering.  New drop links went on a few months ago and now the ball joints are getting bad.

So, I'm not 100% sure I will swap, but if anyone has something they'd liked to swap let me know.  Ideally I'd like a 5 spoke in the style of / similar to LMGT's.   I know I won't get those, but something in that style would peak my interest, Rota Slips have caught my eye.

I don't know the full spec of my wheels but they are spaced at what looks to be 20mm (I've never actually measured it, never had a need).

Front tyres are 245/35/19

Rear tyres are 275/35/19 with a rolled rear arch.

Linea Corsa LC818's

As said, not sure I will go for it, as I do like how these wheels look, but interested in a change and something a little more forgiving on the roads down here.

So list of things to do in no particular order...

• Repair front splitter
  • Add secret part (it's probably not that exciting :lol: )
  • Replace Air Con compressor (finally)
  • Replace or repair the Passenger side arch liner (just after I replaced the Drivers side :thumbdown: )
  • New Rear pads
  • New lower ball joints
    • Both sides need doing at the covers are failing.  I know Zman can do matched lower arms with new ball joints but this gets expensive when you need both (not against Zman, that's just the cost of parts).  Torqen can supply both the 14mm and 16mm ball joints which would be half the cost.  So may look into this option.
    • If anyone had any experience with these, it would be appreciated.

Essay over.....

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how I can fix my seatbelts.

The drivers side is starting to get slow to retract, takes a few pulls to get it going...

I think I've seen somewhere that cleaning up the belt with polish can help, but that may be a BMW thing or a drunken dream...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...