Getting Rid of a Car you found

Stutopia

A relative of a friend has a car in her garage her recently deceased husband acquired some time ago. It’s been sat there for 4/5 years apparently not SORN, no MOT and with no log book. She doesn’t drive, doesn’t know anything about where he got it or what to do with it.

She’s worried if she contacts DVLA they’ll try and hit her with backdated road tax/fines/questions that she can’t really deal with. She just wants rid of it. Can you dispose of it without a log book or any proof of ownership?

What car is it, out of interest?

I'd give the DVLA a call personally and tell them the truth, to find out if she is liable, (which i doubt).  If she is, then wheel it down the street in the dark and then call the police to say it's been dumped. :lol:

• Haha 1

It’s a 2003 Peugeot automatic, apparently a 307, not seen it. If it was a Pantera I’d be towing it away myself and leaving £100 behind :lol:

Some websites reckon you can scrap with just a letter to DVLA saying it’s away to the scrap trade, but the DVLA site seems to insist on a V5C. I wish they’d tell you your rights/obligations rather than what’s convenient to them!

• Haha 1

You can apply to DVLA for the logbook yourself. Ive done it before. They apparently write a letter to the current registered owner and if no reply happily issue you with a v5c. Then when you have that you can scrap it. Most scrap yards wont take it without the v5c, but who knows, maybe you can find someone who will take it. Maybe put out a message on your local facebook spotted page.

With regards to tax/SORN dont worry about it. If its been sitting there for ages, then they wont chase now. Ive a couple of cars ive not SORN`d for years and had no problems.

As another option, you could just stick it on ebay!

As the others have said best phoning the DVLA. I had a golf once that I purchased off a guy who'd had it parked up in a field. He only had the new keeper supplement. I couldn't tax it because it wasn't on the database. I called them up. The DVLA had no record of who it had been sold to and at some point the previous owner had said they no longer owned it so it was just lost in the system. They transferred the paperwork to me and all was good. There was never any mention of past tax liability. Obviously I had the old new keeper supplement as proof of ownership so my circumstances were slightly different.

And your relative shouldn't need to worry about any liability as that all falls with the deceased (I think). I had a quick google:

Since the criminal liability of the accused is extinguished, no other person may be held liable for the crime personally committed by the deceased accused. The said liability may not be transmitted to his heirs. While it is true that obligations of persons are transmitted to his heirs or assigns through his death, this is only insofar as the right to succession of inheritance is concerned. This does not in any way overturn the specific provisions of our criminal laws.